M40 to M42

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

gOdspEed

Club Guest
Hi guys.....planning to convert my m40 to m42 for my old lady e30... :D ..... wonder if the wiring set for m40 can be used for the M42?.... anything else that i should expect..prepare for the conversion?.. btw.. the M42 i got is an auto.. i'm planning to use back my manual g/b and still hunting for the best ratio... isk isk.. i believe it will be from the 323i... correct me if i'm wrong... so any comment/suggestion, bro?p/s: fab.. zoggee..kinaka...... any comment from you guys?

the engine wiring harness for the M42 is a must.
Gearbox can use back the M40 ones cos the E30 M42 use the same gearbox as the M40. it's plug and play.

when I did my conversion, don't even have to remove the dashboard or even the meter cluster...

btw, what year is the M42... ???? cos later model M42 from the E36 has the 2-belts system...

fab... thanks for the info... i'll ask for the wiring set in that case.. absolutely!!!... btw.. i'm not sure about the year.. but yeap it was from an e36... but i believe it is still using the timing chain... fab... what about the g/b ratio?.. and the conversion process? any prob that i should anticipate?

strider... r u interested? hehehh i'm just start collecting the stuff i needed for the conversion.. not planning to convert in the nearest time.. since my trusty m40 is still getting me places.. hahaha... as for now.. i only got the m42 engine... so i guess fab and the rest of the guys should know better for the whole conversion process... hehehe

Originally posted by gOdspEed@May 13 2005, 06:10 PM
btw.. i'm not sure about the year.. but yeap it was from an e36... but i believe it is still using the timing chain... fab... what about the g/b ratio?.. and the conversion process? any prob that i should anticipate?
I mean the belts driving the fan clutch, alternator, power steering pump and the aircon compressor lah!!!!!

all M42 uses timing chain.... duplex some more...

my M42 uses 1 belt for fan clutch, alternator and power steering pump... and 1 separate belt for the air con compressor...

earlier model uses 3 belts... similar to the M40

Wat g/b ratio are u referring to??? M42 and M40 share the share gearbox and final drive, like I mentioned earlier... u can compare the spec for both the E30 M40 318i and E30 M42 318is... AFAIK, the ratio is the SAME...

:blush: ... heheheh... i thought u r saying about the timing chain.. hehhaha...
mine is using 2 set of belts... seperate... for fan clutch, steering pump.... etc.. and another for the air-cond compressor... i guess it must be the same with yours...

g/b ratio.. i was told to look for the 323i ratio.. but to find it might be like once in a bluemoon... isk isk isk... :cry: ....

still waiting for the ecu and wiring set... :dunno: hopefully by this week i'll get em....

Fab.. is it true that the timing chain must be repalced after 100k?.. or it only applies for the e30 m3 models??? :dunno:

Originally posted by gOdspEed@May 16 2005, 01:53 AM

Fab.. is it true that the timing chain must be repalced after 100k?.. or it only applies for the e30 m3 models??? :dunno:
some ppl do it as a precaution, if you're going to install the engine, you might as well do it for precautinary sake. i know the 6 series register has all done it because 1 members broke & completely need a rebuilt..so all followed..
but when i had my 2002, it was still on the original timing chain! :p

godspeed,

if you selling your m40 engine, please let me know. i may be interested.

cheers

UR M40 STILL WORK ARRR....
LET ME KNOW ANYTHING DO WITH UR OLD ENGINE
WE M40 KAKI.;.......

nelson,

well... i think you might be selling yours too right.. hahahahaa. upgrade to... :rolleyes:

elwine & nelsone.... the reason i'm still keeping the m40... coz it rocks dude!!! hahahahah.... ;) ...anyway... i have no plan to sell it and the m42 is just me being a bit "proactive".... hehehe :D .....

Originally posted by gOdspEed@May 24 2005, 04:49 PM
elwine & nelsone.... the reason i'm still keeping the m40... coz it rocks dude!!! hahahahah.... ;) ...anyway... i have no plan to sell it and the m42 is just me being a bit "proactive".... hehehe :D .....
once the M42 is in, doubt u'll give the M40 a second look.... ;)

hahahaha..... or perhaps i'll frame the trusty m40!!! hahahahaha :D ...

still waiting for the wiring harness.... :ph34r:

Top Bottom