m3 transplant

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

eddiefiola

Club Guest
guys, is it possible to transplant e46 m3 engine into my e46 325? how much roughly for the half cut? n where to get?troublesome or not?i know that m3 has smg, just would like to know is it possible to drive m3 in automatic mode just like any ordinary car with automatic transmission? any jerking movement if drive m3 using automatic mode?thankx

Of course it is. There's a couple of converted coupes running around. I've never met the owners, but word on the "street" is 100k for the lot. I don't know how troublesome it can be, but these owners surely have more than 1 car and loads of cash, so, go figure.

If I were you, I'd just get the real thing. Crippling monthly payments for something which will hold its value way,way better is a lot better than displaying your rapidly depreciating ride at the workshop all the time.

Better still, since you're into bikes, drop 10k on a used RS125 and head for SIC. I'm no biker, but I'm sure you'll get a lot more kick from that!

Really? I thought the "converted" coupes had only their exteriors done, plus maybe a supercharger to back the looks up.

I would be really suprised if a full transplant would be possible (cos a half, only the engine, transplant will never work- cos the engine's just not compatible with autoboxes (very high compression) and thus the software's gonna be confused). Not that I've had any first hand experience, mind, but there was this thread on e46fanatics.com about some guy (who had loads of time and technical knowledge and curiosity- like MIT or sometin) who "inherited" a full SMG "halfcut" and set about trying to transplant it into his e46 sedan. I don't think it worked.

Check with the Penang boyz, someone has done it already. I think it was done in the famous shop at Jln Ipoh for 150k! And then spent another 50k, to get it started at Stuttgart Tmn Mayang, altogether cost him 200k. This is all hearsay, dont quote me! :D

I think Albundy's unconfirmed example illustrates why one shouldn't mess with these cars. For the same reasons that Necc explained, don't bother. The manual RM100k one was owned by someone who used to frequent a Hartamas joint. The owner of the joint revealed the "true" status of this black ride to me. I got the balls to say it here 'cos the place has since closed down ha!ha!ha!

The famous shop did an M5 E39 as well, didn't they?

Yup, they did. Of course the E46 "transplanted" M3 couldnt start and the story goes that he didnt bother to fix it and hence the owner went to stuttgart and paid a hefty sum to get it started (EWS thingy).

Al

There is a yellow coupe reg AB XX which is known to be a converted M3. Lined up next to him at the lights in Dsra Heights, and the fella gunned it, and took off. I was thinking to myself.. darn so much fun heh.

Seeing the prices of M3s tumble, there will be less and less converts as people will just opt to get the real deal M3 used. Holds value better over time and less headaches. Most of the converts were done when M3 prices were in the high 400k to 500k price range.

Dun bother. Just get the real deal. Even with engine conversion, you will never get the handling of an M3 unless you spend even more. Now you can get a used M3 for 400k of less.

Originally posted by ALBundy@Apr 2 2005, 10:48 AM
Yup, they did. Of course the E46 "transplanted" M3 couldnt start and the story goes that he didnt bother to fix it and hence the owner went to stuttgart and paid a hefty sum to get it started (EWS thingy).

Al
Errrr. I don't think that was how it was.

I saw it happen and it was when there was no M3 in Malaysia way back then. The car was built the Alpina/Hartge style i.e. order the lowest spec car and fill her up with the M stuff + tuning. Complete M to the very last bolt. The car was driven by my buddy for years before he settled for a much faster set of wheels. To the owner, it was money well spent as he had his M and a big discount from the real deal as well + loads of fun watching it being built from the shell up.

From what I know the car was not left is a "tak jalan" state. The electronics was sorted out using equipment at a friendly workshop as their own MODIC was down. The car was handed over to the owner in a perfect state of tune. In fact, the car was much discussed in the old forum logs (not by the owners or friends of the owners but by people who do not know much about the car nor the owner hence the rumours. Nevertheless, it is a very fast car, much faster than the standard M). If you have seen the car, you can't tell it apart from the real deal except that it has a lot of nice nice stuff on it.

Btw, the original owner (a very fast racer) who commissioned the project is not from Penang. The car was recently sold to an enthusiast from Penang. Not in defence of anyone but just to give a true account of the car for the future resale value of the car for the current owner (I have not met him personally but have seen his car sent in for service).

Eddie, a second hand M3 cost about RM340k to RM360k nowadays. A 2000 325 would probably go for RM155k nowadays. That's a RM200k difference between the cars which you have to consider about. With the high Euro, a S54 engine would cost about RM70k-RM80k and you have to budget for brakes, suspension, wiring etc as well hence if cash flow permits, you should go for the real thing as the dynamics are much different today from the time my buddy got his car as he saved a bundle back then and there was no RHD M3 on sale in Malaysia back then. The car was prepared for him RIDES style (ala Discovery channel) to his specification on a no expense spared basis. However, if you would like to go through the thrill of seeing the mods go through, PM me. Cheers and good luck.

Btw, if you are keen on a manual E46 M3 in Phoenix Yellow, let me know. I have a friend who is selling. Cheers again.

Bundy, where did you hear that version you quoted? It has only been perhaps 3 years or so since the car was built. I know it as it was the same time I bought my E46 323CI back then.

I think its a different car from the example you quoted. The original car owner seemed to be from Penang, and the story goes that he bought a new e46 318 since his parents did not agree to buy him the real thing. So he went to do the "transplant" :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

Why :nyehehe: ? Anyway, from what I know of all the M3 transplants done at the place you insinuated, I know all the moders there and find it hard to believe your account of the story that they left the car hanging and the owner had to pay another RM50k to get it started at Stuggart. Anyway, like you said, it could be a different car and also it might as well be a different place too ( :lol: ). Then the story could be true. Might as well provide the name of the workshop (like you always did with Mpowder) so that the likelihood and reputation of others are not tarnished accordingly. I am really curious as I am looking at an E30 325i (advertised in the MotorTrader) at a workshop (that I don't patronise) along Jalan Ipoh (not behind Jalan Ipoh) and I want to be sure that it is not them as the car does seem to be in pretty good condition. Help me out here la dude. I want an E30 like you too. Just don't want to be burnt like the Penang guy :yahoo:

Hahahaha....I think you are more than happy with your Alfa. Will be sending my e30 either this weekend or early next week for a heart transplant... :D

As for the M3 transplant debacle, I won't quote the workshop since its just hearsay. Men Powder, well that's first hand experience, sad to say!! :beaten: :beaten: :cry: :cry:

Top Bottom