LSD

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by kevster30@Jul 11 2005, 09:37 AM
The preffered ratio for the M40 would be 4.10 as this is the standard ratio on all M40 running on manual transmission. The 3.73 is usable but you would experience a loss in accelaration but better top-end and cruising speeds.....in the end, you decide what suits your driving style best.

Good Luck! :nyehehe:
with 3.73, u get good cruising speed but at the expense of pick-up and top end...
on paper, 3.73 shud give higher top speed, but then 5th gear being an overdrive will lack the torque to propel the car faster at the top..

kev & fab... thanks for the advice..... but 4.10 is really hard to find and have to build seperately from front to back (correct me if i'm wrong..)....

btw.. i'm running on m40 manual g/b but w/o the lsd.. heheheh...

Originally posted by gOdspEed@Jul 11 2005, 04:01 PM
kev & fab... thanks for the advice..... but 4.10 is really hard to find and have to build seperately from front to back (correct me if i'm wrong..)....

build separately from front to back?
no lah... just the rear diff only...

i'm still trying out my pseudo-LSD project to convert an existing open diff to have limited slip.. but the lock percentage isn't as much as the stock lock percentage of 25% but good enuf to instill confidence at the corners. better than nothing... ;)

izzit worth the cost? heheh how long have u've been testing it?.... but come to think of it... u r pulling it with your m42.. mine is still m40... aiissehh.. same capacity but a significant diff... adoiii.. kena tukar m42 jugak laaa.. :(

Hi Fab,

Do you know how much difference there is in the Diff for manual cars compared to Automatic ?. ie Diff for Manual interchangable to Diff for auto ?.

I was told the output flange is different. Is there any way to make an interchange work ?. Or if there is ABSOLUTELY no way to inter-change ?.

Originally posted by E34EuroTouring@Jul 11 2005, 05:38 PM
Hi Fab,

Do you know how much difference there is in the Diff for manual cars compared to Automatic ?. ie Diff for Manual interchangable to Diff for auto ?.

I was told the output flange is different. Is there any way to make an interchange work ?. Or if there is ABSOLUTELY no way to inter-change ?.
not sure about E34 but for the E30s all the output flange is the same for the big casing ones. IIRC, it can be used on the E34 as well but for the M20 and earlier M50. i think the later E34 comes wit different flange design, not to mention, different rear subframe design.

Originally posted by gOdspEed@Jul 11 2005, 03:01 AM

Pssst....bro,

If you buy Fabian a round of drinks at the next TT, he has the expertise to turn your open diff into a LSD........HOW? :nyehehe: :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

Thanks, Fab. Yes, a different subframe design for the "95 E34. Even the diff backplate looks different. I guess "no-go" for me. Thanks for your expert advice.

Originally posted by E34EuroTouring@Jul 12 2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks, Fab. Yes, a different subframe design for the "95 E34. Even the diff backplate looks different. I guess "no-go" for me. Thanks for your expert advice.
just got an E34 4.45 rear diff from one of my mechanics... hehehhe.. btw, it's from a M20...

Will compare the flange difference in the morning...
however, the thing has been lying at the backyard for a while, not sure water went in or not... was thinking of putting that into the LSD carrier and use for track day... hahahhahha

Difference between E34 output flange and E30 output flange

on the left is the E34 flange, right is E30

the E34 ones protrude a little further out, other than that, it's similar to the E30...

Early E34 rear diff...

I reckon it can fit into the E30 as well after changing the rear cover to the E30 cover and oso the output flanges...

Yes, I have to agree with Fab's suggestion on the cover & output flange change before u can rock & roll on the E30........

Top Bottom