Loud 'clunk/knocking' Noise When Braking.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

parc

Club Guest
Salam & Good Evening to all.When the car is driven off or slowing down, and the footbrake is applied, a loud repeated 'clunk' noise can be heard from underneath the car, and and the same time i can felt the vibration also on the brake pedal itself.this noise tends to happen when the car approaching road bumps.none of the noise occur during acceleration,only when slowing down.i read and did a research in this forum n google, most of the problem could be bushing,ball bearing or braking caliper..But the funny thing is after letting the car cool down overnight the knocking was not there during the next drive(this is the 2nd time it happen)any BMWCM members happen to counter this same problem before?hopefully this is not a major problem.my car details: e46 318i 2001,change gearbox 2mnths ago, change all the radiator hoses 1 mnth ago and did some repairing work to the compressor.sorry for the long rant. :(Thanks all.

I had clunking whenever I braked or over bumpy roads... the brake pad's pin was missing causing the pad to move around in in the caliper. So that was reassuring.

Mine's an E36

thanks chrix,but then does u felt it on ur feet whenever u touch the brake pedal?quite worrying plus i think people from outside also tend to hear it..it was like metal on metal sound..
looking forward for any suggestion n advice from our other fellow BMWCM members.
thanks in advance.

after did some call,the issue could be brake pad or any loose screw in calipers...
is it true?need a 2nd 3rd or 4th views from others...or else i can kena potong by workshop...

checked your suspension bushings recently ? lower arm bush ? common problem...

i think lower arm bushing worn out too.. try jack up and see of it is torn. replace it and your car will be as silent as a library haha

pussy;673766 said:
checked your suspension bushings recently ? lower arm bush ? common problem...

went to workshop and checked all 4 tyre,brake pad,disc and all bush..everything in in good shape except my rear left disc a lil bit uneven(maybe due to unskimmed disc before)

ezzo369;673780 said:
i think lower arm bushing worn out too.. try jack up and see of it is torn. replace it and your car will be as silent as a library haha

did a second test after test drive after process mention above,take out front right tyre n the foreman said that my thyroid end(am i spell it right) a lil bit loose n need a replacement..could it be the problem?

thanks all!

parc;673987 said:
the foreman said that my thyroid end(am i spell it right) a lil bit loose n need a replacement..could it be the problem?

thanks all!

I think is "tie rod" u are refering.

hehehehehhe...yah!thats is it..tie rod end..
can it cause the loud noise sound?as far as i know,alignment effected by this thing,not sure it will cause unnecessary sound..

thanks!

im havint the same problem too. mine cause the stearing to shake also but no vibration on the brake padel...suspecting lower arm or stearing rack....if you resolve your problem than let me know ok..thanks in advance..:rock:

mielo86;674203 said:
im havint the same problem too. mine cause the stearing to shake also but no vibration on the brake padel...suspecting lower arm or stearing rack....if you resolve your problem than let me know ok..thanks in advance..:rock:

no worries bro.sure will do..
does ur car loud noise like metal on metal or grinding sounds?
as far as i do,like comment no.7 n no sound now.but then since the sound occur at certain time only(only 2 times happen before) im afraid if those sounds come back.

p/s:when drive test with foreman,n during my ride to workshop no sound after all.. :(

as per today,no sounds afterall...but been driving with a lot of worries since the workshop cant figure out the problem..

Chk the upper strut mounting of your absorber. There could be worn out rubbers/bushings causing movements there.

Spaceman;674865 said:
Chk the upper strut mounting of your absorber. There could be worn out rubbers/bushings causing movements there.

sure will do.thanks!

till today i cant come out with a solution..and lucky me,not a single sound since the last one,hope it will continue like this.(finger-crossed).my next thing in list to do, change all 3 rubber mounting.hopefully it will be okay..

thanks for all the response.once i find out the solution,ill post it here.(still googling for the solution even though no more sound)

since the sound,i already take out all the tyres and check all the brake pads n disks.apply a high pressure air gun to clean up if there is any dust.

is there any possibility those sound was triggered due to abs/asc pump failure?
my mech ask me tu pump the break pedal hard a few time to make it go away..

but he did recommend me to change it,waiting for the budget currently..

hi,i still cant figure out the problem yet..but found this vid yesterday..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Pw3V8pMeI

is it true that my control arm bush are the culprit?
fyi: i didnt check wether my tyre as per video..but the knocking sound pretty similar.and as an additional,my ABS light appear.

thanks in advance.

I had the same prob on my e32 last month. Hard clunking at braking and turning. Worried me silly.

Took out the whole brake system, check recheck, steering linkage and refitted all ball joint from box to tierod ends.. Check bushing.. after a week sound still there..

Suddenly occur to me the only moving part not check was the simple arb vertical linkage. Instead of loosen, it was binding hard. And everytime it moves, it binds an made clunking noise. How did it get so tight? No idea. First ever i came across.

Changed it and mystery solved. Hope this help...

alantiong;732366 said:
I had the same prob on my e32 last month. Hard clunking at braking and turning. Worried me silly.

Took out the whole brake system, check recheck, steering linkage and refitted all ball joint from box to tierod ends.. Check bushing.. after a week sound still there..

Suddenly occur to me the only moving part not check was the simple arb vertical linkage. Instead of loosen, it was binding hard. And everytime it moves, it binds an made clunking noise. How did it get so tight? No idea. First ever i came across.

Changed it and mystery solved. Hope this help...

but in my car those sounds only happen during braking(when almost at stop),no sound at all during turning..
thanks bro..will check later..

Hi ... I experienced a few uneasy clunking sounds my self on my e32.

based on your description, i had a similar problem. During low speeds after just starting, i would have loud grinding noise (not clunking - sounded more like **Groong..Groong..Groong*) whevenever the brake is applied, and there would be kickbacks from the pedal, as if the pedal is kicking back...with vibrations.

I had it checked and the mechanic discovered that the culprit was the ABS sensor. what made it worse was that the warning system was somehow disabled and the bulb for the ABS warning system was removed.

Had the sensors replaced and the problem did not resurface.

However, after that episode, i had another problem which bothered me for exactly a year. i would hear loud metal clunking noise from the front right wheel whenever i hit uneven road surface. After multiple visits to the mechanic, I could not diagnose the fault or the source of the problem.

Suspension bushings were replaced, mountinfs changed and suspension checked and given the green light but the problem still persisted. One fine day it hit that the sound does not appear when the brake is applied, so I guessed it was the brake system on the front right wheel.

So with the new found theory, i headed to the mechanic and had the car checked.

The mech took off the wheel and started hitting the front caliper and true enough, i heard a familiar sound. The first mechanic who sorted the problem of my ABS sensors, missed out something.

The cuplrit was a missing clip on the front calipers.

So, if you have a grinding sound when applying brake with some vibration or feedback on the pedals, try looking at the ABS sensors. you may also want to see if the ABS light on your instrument cluster lights up when ignition key is turned on.

if you have loud clunking noise like to metal bits are colliding...then check your calipers.

I know we have two very different cars but no harm checking. Just a thought.

Cheers!

Top Bottom