Lotus Elise S1

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ozone

Club Guest
Any members here have experience with owning the above vehicle ?I am looking for one and have identified a few. The price seems to have held up very nicely a 2001 car bought for RM 180k is still commanding RM 130k plus right now ?I need to know more about maintenance cost in MY as well as engine reliability since it is a rover engine.I heard the engine tends to overheat in traffic jam and the interior can be hot even with air con on as the engine is right behind the driver.Thanks in advance.

1 thing for sure, Lotus Elise Mk1 is not meant to be your bumper to bumper everyday car..

ozone;394527 said:
Any members here have experience with owning the above vehicle ?
I am looking for one and have identified a few. The price seems to have held up very nicely a 2001 car bought for RM 180k is still commanding RM 130k plus right now ?
I need to know more about maintenance cost in MY as well as engine reliability since it is a rover engine.
I heard the engine tends to overheat in traffic jam and the interior can be hot even with air con on as the engine is right behind the driver.
Thanks in advance.

try http://lotuscarsclubmalaysia.com/forum

Lotus Elise MK1 - Malaysia version is highly desirable because is the only K engine in the world with luxury items like A/C and Audio. Due to its ligher weight, cornering capability is higher compare the Elise with Toyota 1ZZ engine.

If you are interest and keen to get one, there's only one and only contact - Mr. Oh Kah Beng

Cheers.

fabianyee;394532 said:
1 thing for sure, Lotus Elise Mk1 is not meant to be your bumper to bumper everyday car..

Fully agree. It is for my weekend car as I will still keep the BMW.
I just learnt how to get in and out of the car today .....
And the seats are extremely hard.
I just view 2 in Ara Damansara today in the same shop and the mustard yellow one got me hooked - got it from motor trader.
And the exhaust sounds like heaven.

turbology;394559 said:
try http://lotuscarsclubmalaysia.com/forum

Lotus Elise MK1 - Malaysia version is highly desirable because is the only K engine in the world with luxury items like A/C and Audio. Due to its ligher weight, cornering capability is higher compare the Elise with Toyota 1ZZ engine.

If you are interest and keen to get one, there's only one and only contact - Mr. Oh Kah Beng

Cheers.

Thanks. Do you have one as per your pic ?

No. Wanted the car for 5 years, still can't afford one... *sigh*
I would suggest you get advice from Mr. OKB before you get any Lotus car.
He is the godfather of all Lotus in Malaysia.

turbology;394577 said:
No. Wanted the car for 5 years, still can't afford one... *sigh*
I would suggest you get advice from Mr. OKB before you get any Lotus car.
He is the godfather of all Lotus in Malaysia.

Will do. The one I saw today looks as per your pic so I thought you might be the seller.

I cant get in.

I only managed to get in when they removed the roof. Tried it and OMG the ride was terrible. My piles feel like they are going to burst. My cocyx feels like it is shatered and my spine felt like it broken in several places.

But there was a smile on my face. It was drive fabulous.

I will alwasy give a thumbs up for any Singapore plated Elise I see on teh airport road. This is on the account that they went thru torture to spend a few hours at sepang.

Boy talk about masochists

driven this one on sepang and all I can say is respect this car on the limit.

the rear will be too nervous for most, but that's also the reason why its so nimble on track

OKB once told me.....its all in the weight ( the lite side of it )

GOOD LUCK!

i like one, but its owned by stupid proton. if bmw bought over lotus, i would buy one

alpina b5;408449 said:
i like one, but its owned by stupid proton. if bmw bought over lotus, i would buy one

If BMW owned it, it will probably weight 2 tons by now.
It will have an useless iDrive, 100kg for four airbags, automatic hardtop, and they will call it 0 series

Thanks god Proton owned it :rolleyes:

Just an update.
I still did not manage to buy one.
Made 2 offers but one was sold at a higher price and the other the owner think my offer is too low.
But honestly, the prices are crazy.
For eg, most S1 were sold at RM 180 thereabouts. But what I found was 2001 with mods going for RM 135k. 1999 going for RM 125k. Year 2000 going for RM 130k.
A 2006 is going for RM 160k whereas another one was sold a few months earlier at RM 145k. ( To be fair the RM 160k one the owner paid RM 230k plus due to price increase )
In think I offered reasonable price and not ridiculous prices.
I guess it is all down to demand and supply.
If cannot find a unit I am prepared to pay for might have to buy a new one.
Or seriously considering going for Z4 instead. Or just sell my BMW and go for M3.
A new one is very tempting, RM 240k for Elise S2. This price is valid for 2009 as Proton somehow manage to get tax concession otherwise it will be Rm 400k. But then have to eat bread for lunch and dinner for 7 years .......

Finally found a unit. It is a Chrome Orange Elise year 2000 with 21,000 km on the clock.
Deal closed, deposit paid and loan approved. Will collect the car this Saturday.
So if anyone see an Orange Elise, it's mine as I think it is the only orange one around.
That's the good news.
Bad news is my SMG just diagnosed by AB Segambut this am with wet/worn out clutch and leaking actuator.

turbology;408663 said:
If BMW owned it, it will probably weight 2 tons by now.
It will have an useless iDrive, 100kg for four airbags, automatic hardtop, and they will call it 0 series

Thanks god Proton owned it :rolleyes:

well, at least with bmw quality it won't break down 4 days 4 hours 4 minutes and 4 seconds after purchasing the car

alpina b5;411859 said:
well, at least with bmw quality it won't break down 4 days 4 hours 4 minutes and 4 seconds after purchasing the car

bmw quality? are you sure you own the same car as most of us here? in case you didnt read, our lucky lotus owner just had a mechanical problem with his bimmer.. but as we all love our cars more than anything(hope the missus isnt reading), we always forgive them for the interesting moments they give us ;)

banyak masuk workshop...but we still love 'em.

as for proton, if they didn't buy lotus at the time they did, the world would never have known the car destined to be a future classic, the lotus elise mk1.

p.s. congrats ozone.

1+2=3;417966 said:
bmw quality? are you sure you own the same car as most of us here? in case you didnt read, our lucky lotus owner just had a mechanical problem with his bimmer.. but as we all love our cars more than anything(hope the missus isnt reading), we always forgive them for the interesting moments they give us ;)

banyak masuk workshop...but we still love 'em.

as for proton, if they didn't buy lotus at the time they did, the world would never have known the car destined to be a future classic, the lotus elise mk1.

p.s. congrats ozone.

hehe my bmw is perfect, serious, i never had a problem with it

Top Bottom