Longest Time You Did Not Start You Car

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GHS

Club Guest
What was the longest time period that you did not start you cars?The owner's manual did state a section called "Laying Up Your Car", if the car is not used for more than 3 months, but for less than that it is not specific.Would like to know what steps to take if I were to leave my car unused for about 3 weeks?Can I just leave it as it is without gettting someone to drive it around about once a week?

I ever left it in the car porch for 1 month on few occassion..and it start at first crank..so it should't pose no worry..just make sure you inflate your tyres extra psi to avoid flat spot.

6 months for my old toyota camry... battery was disconnected or would have been flat(clocks and other things like that drain it) started first turn of the key ;)

Thx for all the replies so far.

Any E90 owners would like to comment on this?

GHS,

Sorry dude... I can't imagine myself not driving it for one day... As for now... Still find it interesting behind the wheels everytime... HeeHee...

Maybe you shld ask KL2DC... HaHaHa...

GHS, I had it for 1.5 month and everything is fine. Don't worry about it. It's ok for you to leave just like that unless you are leaving it for 3 months or more, than it is advisable to disconnect the battery.

im planing to park my car in a garage for 4 months as i will be coming home(woooo hoooo) what shoul i do?

mine has been sleeping for 3~4 months ... till the bat died on me ...bought a new one and then been exchanging both bats when time permits ....

recently only started to start and heat it up ..that's all and everything works fine ... only the Radio FM frequency had to be re-tuned and also the amps in it ...

2 months - start at the first crank. Only need to set my suspension. Tends to be soft when not in use.

An eye opener though I've tried leaving mine for more than 6 weeks.

535i, your's is a E34 right? Did you disconnect your battery when you left it for 2 months?

I also remember reading somewhere that leaving the batt disconnected might hurt some electronics?? Any comment on this?

Cheers,
Geo

geodesy;241167 said:
An eye opener though I've tried leaving mine for more than 6 weeks.

535i, your's is a E34 right? Did you disconnect your battery when you left it for 2 months?

I also remember reading somewhere that leaving the batt disconnected might hurt some electronics?? Any comment on this?

Cheers,
Geo

Nope - batt was connected. But then, mine is manual - so, no issue on jump start

535i;241175 said:
Nope - batt was connected. But then, mine is manual - so, no issue on jump start

Interesting... did you do this (leave car) regularly or was this done once/twice only?

Would non-maint battery be stronger if we leave the car for >2 months?

geodesy;241177 said:
Interesting... did you do this (leave car) regularly or was this done once/twice only?

Would non-maint battery be stronger if we leave the car for >2 months?

regularly ..

I m using non-maint battery

ICEMAN 13;241152 said:
mine has been sleeping for 3~4 months ... till the bat died on me ...bought a new one and then been exchanging both bats when time permits ....

recently only started to start and heat it up ..that's all and everything works fine ... only the Radio FM frequency had to be re-tuned and also the amps in it ...

i think i will get a friend to start the engine once a week while im away so that the battery does no die.. good idea?

Erm, do I get the trophy then... my E24 628csi been stored 4.5 years and counting.

I have given up on batteries, and even road tax for that matter, hehe. But she is a gem and would startup no problem every 2-3 months. She'll need a good service and flush before road use though.

Back to the topic, don't worry too much for anything up to 6 months. Best leave the batt on trickle charge if you have one at home. No problem even without, just that if the batt dies then the engine will need to re-learn and will run rough for a short while.

rao328;241310 said:
i think i will get a friend to start the engine once a week while im away so that the battery does no die.. good idea?

It's not good to leave the car running at idle till it reaches its optimum running temperature. If your friend is going to start it, it's best to ask him/her to drive it around for a few minutes.

Looking at the responses so far, I guess I can leave my car as it is for a couple of weeks without a worry :)

rao328;241310 said:

u better make sure ur car is still there when u r back :eek: ...haha

Top Bottom