Limited Slip Diff Oil/Fluid

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

nikazwaa

Club Guest
Was on the way home and dropped by a workshop in Pandan Indah to look for the above item. Was happy to find cabinets full of Red Line products. This shop is quite famed for big drifting Jap machines. The shop owner enquired what car I would be using it on. I mentioned that I would be getting an E30 and installing a 3.73 LSD. There I was thinking he's gonna start selling me this and that, but surprisingly he politely asked me to go over to the petrol station next door and get a normal Castrol diff oil. :blink: I asked why not Red Line? He advised against it, saying it'll make the diff noisy. He actually insisted on the Castrol.So questions are....1) What would you guys recommend me getting?2) Viscosity?3) Was the shop owner's claim about Red Line true?

Not sure why the owner didnt push the red line product.
Yes red line is pricey but its good.

Get the Redline 75w90 for your LSD. It shouldnt make your diff noisy.

The redline shockproof and 75w90NS are the ones that make your diff noisy (a grinding type sound)

waawaa,

i wouldn't step in that guys shop EVER.....

he doesnt know the products n specification of his own stuff he is selling, and that is dangerous

suggest you post the name of the shop, so others won't get tricked into getting stuff for their car

as per euro, the 75W90 has the friction modifiers which will allow the LSD internal clutches to slip, thus no noise
or you can still use the 75W90NS, and add in a proportion of the friction modifier to reduce internal clutch clutter

i only use redline in my dogleg tranny.......

if you use castrol, it has to be for the LSD gearboxes, or lese it will still make the machinegun sound when you turn your car

me using Q8 LSD oil for my LSD... all LSD diff oil would have friction modifier specifically formulated for LSD boxes.

Hmmm... I'm guessing he mistook it as an LSD gearbox. Well, his loss anyway.

How often should the oil be changed?

Originally posted by nikazwaa@Dec 1 2005, 09:39 AM

How often should the oil be changed?
how often do you change your panties...... :rofl:

hang loose ka?

i change gearbox oil and rear diff oil same time, circa 10k-15k
normal would be about 1 year or so but there was once it took me 3 years to get to 10k......

where can i get castrol SAF-XJ...it suiteble for e36 318 1996 ?!...my diff make noisy between 50-90 kmj.....bikin pening maa

what bout Motul?
im using it for my rear diff and its excellent!
get the Gear Competition FF.

Top Bottom