LED Type Angel Eyes

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Faiz

Club Guest
Hi allWhen I was at BM World recently, Ah Wai showed me a set of the led type angel eyes. Supposedly much cheaper than the version talked about in one of the forums here. Anyone used these and do they look the same as the ori type? Cheers.Faiz

hmm..wonderin..how cheap is much cheaper?
pho_1024.jpg

isit d same like pic one aar?

Hi Faiz,

If it is the type shown by zackertashia, then I have seen it in real action in thailand sometime last year. It looks good actually. I came back and search ebay but can't find any? Wonder how cheap is cheaper?

Where is BM World? Can give directions kah?

Originally posted by zackertashia@Mar 26 2005, 07:42 AM
hmm..wonderin..how cheap is much cheaper?
pho_1024.jpg

isit d same like pic one aar?
Hi Zack

Frankly, never seen these 'in action' but i think it will look like those in your pic. I can make out the beads in the round led lighter frame mar.... Ah Wai quioted '300++' but i didn't get them installed becos he said it will take some time (it was late afternoon) and to come again later.

BTW, where did you get the pic, the link i mean? Thanks. Faiz

Originally posted by GeeTRM5@Mar 26 2005, 09:45 AM
Hi Faiz,

If it is the type shown by zackertashia, then I have seen it in real action in thailand sometime last year. It looks good actually. I came back and search ebay but can't find any? Wonder how cheap is cheaper?

Where is BM World? Can give directions kah?
Gee,

As i said to zackertashia, it sure should look like those. I'm no technie but the set looked quite simple with 4 pieces of crystal=like round frames, led bulbs and wires for the connections. BM World is in a light inductrial area in desa tun razak on the left along the Cheras highway if one comes from the south (next to the bdr tun razak lrt station i think).

The more expensive version (RM600?) is gas-filled i think. I wonder how the two types compare side-by-side after installation...

Rgds, Faiz

Faiz, basically there are a few type of angel eyes rings in the market but these are the 3 most comomly use.( See following post. )

Also the mounting of the angel eyes rings into the E30 and E34 lamp requires the front lens to be taken out. I have actually tried to do that but it's quite a task that eventually I gave up. Subsequently, I found the following explanation ......

Mounting...

This is for those inquiring about fitment on an E34 or E30

The E34 and E30 is actually more tricky then any other BMW model. Let me
explain:
You have the option to mount the CCFL angeleyes on the 'outside' of the
headlight-lens or on the 'inside,' depending on want you want to do.

Mounting them 'period' on your E34 or E30, requires extra parts.

If you mount them on the inside you will need to break your existing lenses
and buy clear new ones to replace them after you mount the CCFL angeleyes
inside. (USD35.00 for a pair of these new lens, from Ebay)

If you mount them on the outside you will need to buy a clear polyurethane
lens cover and mount the CCFL angel eyes in between the two (between
headlight lens and urethane cover). (covers are USD27 from bavauto.com)

Note: No you can't remove the stock lens without breaking them. It's
siliconed too well.

So that explain why it is so expensive to perform this upgrade. If they really refit our front lens, we would have to worry about possible water intrusion. You don't want your lamp turning into gold fish tank....

Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lighting BMW Angel Eye Kits
Superb Brightness, High Tech “HID” Look, Easy to Install

Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lighting (CCFL) is in essence a variation of the technology used in fluorescent light bulbs. These angel eye rings (or “halos) produce the absolute brightest, most consistent light output of all aftermarket BMW angel eye solutions and provide the most aesthetically appealing appearance as well. This is our choice for the very best angel eye solution on the market.

• Advantages: Very bright look – best appearance. Wide range of fitments: E30, E36, E46, E39, E53, E38, etc. Cool, high tech appearance – real eye catchers. Simplest installation process.
• Disadvantages: Somewhat fragile rings, so installation requires more care

L.E.D. Based BMW Angel Eye Kits
Outdated, Dim, and Probably Not Worth Your Money

The very first kits to come to market in the fairly new BMW “angel eye” market were L.E.D. based solutions using plastic rings of some kind with L.E.D’s placed in the ends of the rings. While these work in a marginal way (that is, you can see them at night and ONLY at night), brightness is simply inconsistent (top of the rings brighter than the bottom) and not comparable to OEM.

• Advantages: Cheap, color can be changed by switching L.E.D’s
• Disadvantages: Not bright; can’t be seen during day or dusk – visible at night only, inconsistent ring illumination

Fiber-Optic / Halogen Based BMW Angel Eye Kits
Clean, Classy OEM Look

An evolution of the L.E.D. based kits, this setup instead uses “light boxes” with a high intensity bulb to produce the light for the angel eye rings. This light is routed through fiber-optic cables into the angel eye rings which are installed in the headlight assembly. This is, in fact, a replica of the technology used in factory BMW angel eye installations such as those found on the E39 5-Series. As such, the look is a close to OE BMW angel eyes as possible, consistent in brightness, and very classy looking.

• Advantages: Classy OEM look, good brightness, fits a variety of models, very durable
• Disadvantages: More parts = more time consuming installation process, harder to find

zackertashia

Thanks for the link. Really cool site alright. Pity it's a Japanese only site bThey really seem to get their act going.
Rgds, Faiz

Originally posted by GeeTRM5@Mar 27 2005, 08:54 AM
L.E.D. Based BMW Angel Eye Kits
Outdated, Dim, and Probably Not Worth Your Money

The very first kits to come to market in the fairly new BMW “angel eye” market were L.E.D. based solutions using plastic rings of some kind with L.E.D’s placed in the ends of the rings. While these work in a marginal way (that is, you can see them at night and ONLY at night), brightness is simply inconsistent (top of the rings brighter than the bottom) and not comparable to OEM.

• Advantages: Cheap, color can be changed by switching L.E.D’s
• Disadvantages: Not bright; can’t be seen during day or dusk – visible at night only, inconsistent ring illumination
Gee

See...you know more than these kits than me! Yup, I think above description fits what I saw at Ah Wai's. He also said the same thing - murah tapi banyak kerja dan lama mau pasang. So what you say figures why these led kits are not popular compared to the oem ccfl types. The packing says the led riings are 'brighter' (implying improved version) with many model applications. I suppose seeing them fitted is believing whther they are as bright as claimed or as in the pic zackertashia has posted in this thread.

Ah Wai says 'saya sudah banyak pasang' and didn't mention removing the ens let alone having to break/replace them. I wonder if any other forummer has tried these and are pleased with the result? Cheers.

Faiz

Any Angel eyes headlamps for sale in Msia ?. I am from Philippines and I have seen Depo ones (just like from Ebay) but expensive here, about Myr 1500 a pair!!!.

I am awaiting a german import to check the FKmotorsports taiwan made angel eyes that are cheaper but similar quality as Depo. Appreciate if anyone seen lubang in Msia about similar E34 lamps. Thanks.

Top Bottom