Leather wrap for puny 520d steering

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kuntakinte

Club Guest
I can never understand why BMW did not bother to at least replace the thin, puny and pathetic steering wheel of the 520d although there was a mark up of nearly 20k on the LCI over the previous model.

Besides opting for a replacement with the beautiful M sports wheel (which I intend to do upon expiry of the warranty period), has anyone done a leather steering wrap?

I called up carbi deco and they say they could do it for less than $350. Anyone's been there and done that yet?

Will be heading to their shop tomorrow to check out the options. A quick google of some images make the leather wrap a very nice and viable option whilst awaiting the m sports change

This shop comes recommended...bos is ah kit.....

Top Cushion Service

No. 2, Jalan SP 4/2, Subang Perdana, Seksyen 4, Kampung Subang, 40150, Shah Alam, Selangor
Malaysia

+60 3-7847 2151

re wrapped my e39 steering wheel there and pretty pleased with it....

Thanks bro moots for the reference. I was at carbi deco this morning

Quoted $300 for a regular premium leather (with creases, hence anti slip) or $400 for smooth nappa leather

Will be an entire's day job. Steering will be totally removed, buttons and all (except airbag) and leather wrap hand sewn professionally to make it look as one. They do not advise making the wheel thicker for fear of interference with the multi function buttons

I'm still very keen with the Msports steering and was quoted $4500 by BimmerCoder for supply and install. Besides obvious warranty void on the idrive components, what other components where warranty can be voided as well? I do hope it's not the entire steering rack components

Go to their puchong hq, located at pusat bandar puchong, next to Tesco behind hong Leong bank.

Btw, after installation, they will also do an airbag reset. They say it's normal and proper abs have done it on countless contis

I've made an appointment for nappa leather wrap next Wednesday but still seriously contemplating the full Msports work with Bimmer coder

I am watching this closely.... arghh I also cannot tahan the puny steering. I have the m sports steering wheel but am looking for the airbag. So miss the sports steering

I'm about decided to just go ahead with the Msports steering from Bimmer coder.

Just don't want to regret not having gone full bloom after the leather wrap.

The default wheel is really pathetically unbearable. Rough to the touch, thin stingy look and feel, spoils the interior ambience. Just crap

For those not ready to do the full Msports conversion, do check out carbi deco. They have a few leather wrap samples and looked a truly professional job hence the full day duration for hand sewn workmanship. Plus the nappa leather feels like the Msports steering too although you can never get the same thickness

Ok, just paid a deposit to Bimmer coder for the full works F10 Msport steering. Wil probably be installed by end of next week. He says its a 15. Minute installation job and a few minutes more for enabling programming the paddle shifting and sports shifting mode

Btw, bro affan, maybe you can check with BimmerCoder if he can get you the airbag for the sports steering.

Thsnks bro. I did ask but he asked me for the part num of my steering. Unfortunately i don't know where is the part number of th steering. If done, we should do a special TT for graduating to the m sport steering. Hahahaha

From what I read in the Bimmer forums, getting the airbags individually may not come cheap. Anyway, the steering is one of the most important components not only functionally but from a form factor perspective as well. Grabbing the current one is akin to driving a cheap jap and totally unbecoming of a premium German marque

I could live with the 520i steering but definitely not the default El cheapo one in 520d. Plus, I usually like to click the pedals in my b road runs or weekend blasts so ultimately I think it's a worthwhile investment.

I've also decided to do the reverse camera with Bimmer coder. He's giving me a good price for the whole package and will also throw in some extra coding goodies.

Got BimmerCoder install the Msports steering wheel and reverse camera today. 2 hour job done efficiently and carefully by the installer

Loved the Fat Msports wheel. Contrasting difference to the horrible default steering wheel. The paddle shifters are also enabled now. I think this is one of the best value mod to undertake.

Reverse cam works like a charm.

BimmerCoder further coded the following for me,
- DVD in motion
- ASS remembered on previous setting (no need to switch off everytime I start the car)
- play video files via USB thumb drive

Bro I am interested to upgrade my steerling wheel likes yours too.
Can you share / PM me how much you paid for those services pls?

tqvm!

kuntakinte said:
Got BimmerCoder install the Msports steering wheel and reverse camera today. 2 hour job done efficiently and carefully by the installer

Loved the Fat Msports wheel. Contrasting difference to the horrible default steering wheel. The paddle shifters are also enabled now. I think this is one of the best value mod to undertake.

Reverse cam works like a charm.

BimmerCoder further coded the following for me,
- DVD in motion
- ASS remembered on previous setting (no need to switch off everytime I start the car)
- play video files via USB thumb drive

If I remembered correctly, I was quoted 4800 for steering wheel upgrade, 2200 for reverse camera installation and 400 for reprogramming the needed coding.

He gave me 6500 for all the above as a package

Hi bro can few snap shots on your M5 steering pls?
Just want to make sure that's the one that I want as BimmerCoder said they don't have a sample set in their shop.
Note - He quoted me Rm 4500 when I called up this morning.

tks

kuntakinte said:
If I remembered correctly, I was quoted 4800 for steering wheel upgrade, 2200 for reverse camera installation and 400 for reprogramming the needed coding.

He gave me 6500 for all the above as a package

I'm not very good with pictures and attachments but it's the exact Msports steering found in the 528i, not m5. It's the one with the round airbags

affan66 said:
The standard steering airbag will not fit the sports steering, bro.
Really? And I thought the center core looked pretty similar to the standard 520d steering wheel, no?

Top Bottom