Lamp Conversion

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fire

Club Guest
Dear Sifu out there,Anyone have do the conversion from existing/original lamp to HID or Xenon eh? :D ..Which brand to go for..Aura or Philip? Anyone mind to share?..is 8000K ballast legal or not huh?..BTW is HID & Xenon same technolgy eh? or just coin diffrent word? Any brank or make come along with angel eye or not? pls share yr experience. Thank You..

Go for Phillip lor I think many will recommand but as for 8000K not legal and lighting not so good. Go for 5000 - 6500K. Lighting is pretty good

Fabian mentioned earlier that if you have the earlier version of e46 without projector it is not recommended to use HID because the light emitted out will not be focussed and will be very spread out. So before changing to HID, upgrade to the newer projector headlights first for e46 then you'll have the perfect setup :)

yup...else just change angel eye + philips diamond vision BULBs

i like me

heheh

but my foggie remained yellowish

i didn't change mine to projector after i changed to HID,i think they r good enoughed. :p although they don't focus like wat projector head lamps do,i think mine r much more brighter than the projectors'... :beaten:

True but if you do alot of outstation travelling especially at night. You will defintely regret it!! :D

Originally posted by lildevil@Mar 19 2006, 05:10 AM
then how about e36? do i have to change to projector headlights?
E36 Projector Headlight ...tak payah tukar...and by the way anything above 4000k is illegal(if i'm not wrong).

nope it doesnt..

raining days like pass few days

if ur bulb above 4000k

like mine 5000k

walao ler .... nothing one!!

luckili still got the yellowish foggie

that's what 1 was told! haven't experieced yet, but like u said, yellow fogs will come in handy!

Originally posted by DanPromote@Mar 19 2006, 02:03 AM
Fabian mentioned earlier that if you have the earlier version of e46 without projector it is not recommended to use HID because the light emitted out will not be focussed and will be very spread out. So before changing to HID, upgrade to the newer projector headlights first for e46 then you'll have the perfect setup :)
Is manufacturer yr 2000 consider earlier version o not huh? Do you have any estimated cost to upgrade to newer original projector headlight? Thanks! :rolleyes:

Facelifted E46 318 2.0 liter 4 door sedan does not come with projector lights as standard unless it is the newline edition from Auto Bavaria.

But just retrofitting a HID into your original reflector headlights is not recommended.

1. Dangerous for oncoming traffic
2. Like what was posted earlier, the light projection is really bad. You get an uneven and short light throw.

If you travel fast along the highway or go to cameron highlands you won't see far enough to spot the dangers. The projector lights can project light up to 300 meters. You can see father and wider (about 2 lanes wide). You can see the leftmost lane if you are at the right most lane in a 3 lane highway.

Best to install projector lights and you can change original ~4300K HID bulbs that comes with it to a 6000K DS2 bulb (for that white light effect) but at the expense of decrease lumens (brightness). I.e. cannot see as well in the rain.

For E46 pre face lifted there are taiwanese replicas that comes with angel eyes if you do not want to spend $$$ to get the Bosch OEM.

Please don't change the fog lights to white. They are yellow for a reason.

just my 2 cents and experience from my trials and errors before finding the correct solution.

Originally posted by valkryie@Mar 21 2006, 02:32 AM
Please don't change the fog lights to white. They are yellow for a reason.

just my 2 cents and experience from my trials and errors before finding the correct solution.
exactly man, if it doesnt serve a purpose, it wont called a fog light then.. this lights do help if u are plannin for a hid, jsut another safety measurement for yrself!>.

take care man..

Yeah exactly, the fogs are for inclement weather condition such as foggy and rainy weather.

What good can a 7000K fog lights do when you are up in the hills with the fog. What is worse, ppl might not even see you.

With that in mind please don't use your fog light (at least the rear fog) unnecessarily. Eyes pain lar after a while following an auntie driving with rear fog light on.

Better stop here. This thread going off topic already :p

Those japs and plotong cars which dont have rear fogs often use the hazard lights during foggy and raining days... correct me if im wrong...

I think the frequency has decrease from many years ago but sometimes you see them switching on their hazard lights during heavy rain.

After a while it gets really annoying from behind but they don't have a choice.

Then there are cars which have rear fog lamps but use their hazard lights instead.

But the worse would be those drivers who don't switch on their lights when it rains hard enough for them to need to use thier windscreen wipers.

Top Bottom