Is this shop in Penang ok? Alpha Car Hi Fi Centre

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

turbosnail

Club Guest
I don't see much discussions about ICE shops in Penang here, so here it goes.I got my E34 few months ago. The stereo system is in dire need of overhaul so I start to shop around. I came across this shop in Burma road. Just happened to pass by. The shop owner seemed knowledgeable about car audio and recommnded to send my Bimmer over so he could take a look at the condition of the sound system to provide suggestion. I have not sent my car over yet. He qouted me RM760.00 for a set of two 6.5in Audio technica speaker(something like that), two crossover and two tweeters that claimed to be coming from Italy.I am totally newbie to this car audio thing. Actually I just want something to play my favorite classical music(Antonio Vivaldi, Telemann, Hendry Purcell etc), sometimes my Police, Gary Numan and NIN albums, nothing fancy. I have changed the head unit to Kenwood simply the front panel is a black color one(matching the dash top lah) and of course I like the sound.Any advice to be given? I am willing to spend no more than R2k for the speaker and amplifier upgrades and intend to keep the HU.Thanks.

can't help you much on Penang, sir.

For RM2K, you should look for a good set of component speakers for the fronts and maybe a sub that runs of a decent 4 channel amp. This maybe tight, considering you need to cover the workmanship, speaker and RCA cables and tuning. Forget about rears unless you are only into rear-fill type of listening. Even the fronts can be foregone in this case. For rears, if you want to stretch it, go for the 6x9s and forget about getting a sub.

I don't quite believe the set comes from italy la.. maybe designed and ciplak'ed from Italy, maybe. Get a decent one like Pioneer, Sony, JBL series and you'll be better off.

Budget about RM1K for the speakers and cables. Amp is going to be tough for another RM500-RM750K (as RM250 goes into the cables, workmanship, tuning).

affan66;332157 said:

For RM2K, you should look for a good set of component speakers for the fronts and maybe a sub that runs of a decent 4 channel amp. This maybe tight, considering you need to cover the workmanship, speaker and RCA cables and tuning. Forget about rears unless you are only into rear-fill type of listening. Even the fronts can be foregone in this case. For rears, if you want to stretch it, go for the 6x9s and forget about getting a sub.

I don't quite believe the set comes from italy la.. maybe designed and ciplak'ed from Italy, maybe. Get a decent one like Pioneer, Sony, JBL series and you'll be better off.

Budget about RM1K for the speakers and cables. Amp is going to be tough for another RM500-RM750K (as RM250 goes into the cables, workmanship, tuning).

Thanks for the advice. I will keep on shopping then.

affan66;332157 said:

THE master of ICE has spoken....................

last time when i used to tt with the ice bois (wottodo, else where to get ice for my tea trolley duties?) i heard about this alpha place in penang before. its not too bad. but then this is based on what the people who go there lar.

rm2k not a lot to spend. you can spend it on overated products like Pioneer, Sony, JBL series... (where amps and measured in pmpo instead of watts) which is not all that much better than the stock, imho, which also may not suit the genre of music you are looking for. for 2k if you really wanna stretch it... surf around the ice forums and see got 2nd hand stuff or not. ones you can listen to before you buy (ideally). that might buy you the speakers and a 4 channel amp but not rca cables, power/grounding cables, speaker cables AND workmanship. so, the 2k max is really unrealistic for both speakers and amp. why not spend the 2k on good speakers and cables and then later get another 2k to upgrade an amp. just my opinion ya.

received the sony catalog yesterday. There is a package for speakers and amp for about RM1500++, fully installed. Decent enough. I'd rather give you this advise than putting in little by little. What will happen is that you will feel itchy and want to upgrade. Unless with PERMISSION GIVEN, I will not racun you. Do tell, if you do and the racun master's will jump in very quickly.

Bailey, E39 ICE sudah upgrade. Check it out this Saturday.

Thanks affan66 and ah lian for further advice on the ICE thing. I have decided not to fix subwoofer. It seems 6x9 is the direction I should go.

good. a 6x9 is good enough for the majority of music. Come back later when you need more racun... my #1 tip, always find a group of songs that you will use as reference for listening. Do the pre-install and after-install (right after and 2-3 weeks after component run-in). Appreciate the details and then be prepared to upgrade. Hehe

turbosnail, you better be careful of this guy. His "racun" is tops. Once kena, sure no turning back one. I was very lucky....:burnout:

But now I am considering upgrading the speakers in my Vios... fronts only. Can't change the HU since that is built-in and I want to retain the stock look. See see, kena racunned already.

affan66;332481 said:
good. a 6x9 is good enough for the majority of music. Come back later when you need more racun... my #1 tip, always find a group of songs that you will use as reference for listening. Do the pre-install and after-install (right after and 2-3 weeks after component run-in). Appreciate the details and then be prepared to upgrade. Hehe

flash;332668 said:
turbosnail, you better be careful of this guy. His "racun" is tops. Once kena, sure no turning back one. I was very lucky....:burnout:

But now I am considering upgrading the speakers in my Vios... fronts only. Can't change the HU since that is built-in and I want to retain the stock look. See see, kena racunned already.

Yeah I know...:cool:

Currently I am colelcting info by asking around. One of the brands pops out quite frequently, Pegasus component speakers and power amp. Said to be a bang for the buck set. Hmm....

there are quite a few touted as such. just make sure the buck you are spending is giving you the type of bang you are looking for. heehee..

ah lian;333469 said:
there are quite a few touted as such. just make sure the buck you are spending is giving you the type of bang you are looking for. heehee..

Thanks.

I am still looking and intending to take time to shop around. Maybe in the end I only need to re-wire the whole sound system.

Bro

Try Asacar in Kulim... they are dealers for Lightning Audio, MTX, Morel, Audio Quartz and Sony. I did ICE on my previous 3 rides theres.

planta

planta;334686 said:
Bro

Try Asacar in Kulim... they are dealers for Lightning Audio, MTX, Morel, Audio Quartz and Sony. I did ICE on my previous 3 rides theres.

planta

Thanks for the suggestion. Please PM me their contact. I would like to know what they can do to my 19 year old ride.:wink:

Asacar Auto Accessories Sdn Bhd
56 Lrg Semarak 1 Taman Semarak 09000 Kulim, Kedah
Phone : 04-4916717

Look For Lim and tell him you are my friend.... Black E46.
Ask for package and discounts. They're always a member in autofair like the recent fair in Juru AutoCity. They do great packages and combos.

planta

planta;334703 said:
Asacar Auto Accessories Sdn Bhd
56 Lrg Semarak 1 Taman Semarak 09000 Kulim, Kedah
Phone : 04-4916717

Look For Lim and tell him you are my friend.... Black E46.
Ask for package and discounts. They're always a member in autofair like the recent fair in Juru AutoCity. They do great packages and combos.

planta

Thanx. Called them up and managed to get hold of Tan. Lets see what happen. I will make appointment with them to see what they can do with my Bimmer's sound system.

Top Bottom