Is chassis weight different between 320 and 323 or 325?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

EuJax

Club Guest
Hi all, just wondering if there is a difference in between the chassis of a 320 and 323/325? I know the weight of the entire car is diff due to diff engine and all but what about the chassis? More rigid less rigid? And is it true that 320 engine is more problematic than 323/325? I have heard this many times that a 4 potters tend to have more problems then the 6 potters, mostly leaking problems. I find it hard to convince myself about that but the only reason i can think of is maybe the 4 potters are underpower and causing it more stressful and more problems? I dont know....just my guess....and the 6 potter has more power and thus more lasting? Any thoughts? Thanks all. Regards

if u look at euroncap rating, they categorise the car based on series eg. for 3 series (320,323, 325,etc)

so by logic, they'll have same chasis rigidity hence same weight. unless the more powerful m3 which definitely more rigid and stronger chasis might be lighter due to exotic materials or heavier...

this is just my assumption...

EuJax, the E90 model range chassis wouldn't be different in this age of platform sharing. These days they even share platforms among marques (Eg, Renault-Peugeot-Citroen), let alone within a marque and within a model range.

The E90 4-potter is a solid, proven engine. In fact it's the newer mag-alloy 6-potter that has more reported problems in this forum in terms of oil burn. Read it in previous threads.

Schwepps;409569 said:
The E90 4-potter is a solid, proven engine. In fact it's the newer mag-alloy 6-potter that has more reported problems in this forum in terms of oil burn. Read it in previous threads.

Before I bought my E90, I was shopping for E46, so I called my trusted BMW foreman to seek his advise on which variant of the E46 is less problematic. To my surprise, he ask me to get the 1.9L model.. :eek: reason being less electronics..

Anyhow, I decided to move on and don't look back.. being sentimental is a big obstacle for technology advancement.. I have just reluctantly installed Silverlight today, have u done yours? :p

I did the same to my washing machine lately (maid spoilt it, door handle cabut!).. had to dump my trusty Hoover front loading washing machine which we bought when we got married. Was fulfilling a promise to my darling that she no longer need to wash cloths if married to me.. :p ..lucky I didn't promise her a maid. (sack our maid not long ago.. :p)

The old machine's dial is running like an analog clock, with visible clicks to trigger the next event, be it drain water, feed water, feed softener, spin and so forth. The new front loader cum dryer we just bought is very different and its driven by wires and circuit boards.. no more metal linkages and no more mechanical clock click dial. All digital with LCD display, like iDrive.. :eek: If this all necessary? Its just a washing machine, how complicated can washing cloths gets?! :stupid:

.. but it comes with 10 years warranty! :eek: BMW should learn from them.. :p same iDrive wat.. :p

Ha ha, I just whack all the clothes into the machine, press "ON" and "START" under the "FUZZY" programme... let the machine do the 'thinking"....:top:Gotta trust the technology mah, otherwise why have it in the first place.

astroboy;409596 said:
Its just a washing machine, how complicated can washing cloths gets?! :stupid:

If your new machine is also a Hoover, 3 to1 the chassis is the same. Only the ECU upgraded. ;)

Schwepps;409629 said:
If your new machine is also a Hoover, 3 to1 the chassis is the same. Only the ECU upgraded. ;)

yeah right... and dirty water recirculation system, on-demand water feeding injector, and mag_alloy drum.. :p

When I checked the internet for Hoover spare parts or Hoover dealers in Malaysia, all I get is Hoover vacuum cleaner and no information on washing machine... I think mine is a pirate!! :eek:

altho platform/chasis sharing is exist, certain models do have difference chasis rigidity.

For example Honda Civic 1.8 and 2.0 might share the same chasis with Civic Type R, however the later have a more rigid chasis to support its powerful engine and handling. The golf Gti also more rigid than it sibling Golf 1.6 fsi.

This is applicable even to our own Proton Satria GTi. The Satria GTi has a more rigid chasis with the introduction of more spot weld to improve the handling characteristic inline with the lotus tuned suspension. Couple with some additional accessories results a more heavier satria than its sibling Wira 1.8 liter.

Since in the NCAP test they put all 3 series variants into one category, except for the more rigid M3, they are definetely the same. Otherwise the more rigid one will have a different result in the test.

Thank you all for sharing ur comments and knowledge, even the Hoover washing machine ;)

So it seems the 320, 323 and 325 have the same chassis. Ok...now its the engine and the specs...actually am trying to learn more about the variants of the e90.

Thanks again all. Cheers.

Regards

Hi Schwepps

Thanks for the tip. Will check the older threads on the new 6 potter engines. Never knew the 4 potter is a realiable one as i have heard many problems occured, again, i may get the wrong info but thats what i heard from the mechanic of the authorised BMW. Was told to buy the 323 over the 320, less problems according to him. So....would like to read up more before anything.

Thanks again. Cheers.

Top Bottom