Hydrogen on your BMW?!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kgb

Club Guest
Fellows, petrol prices are going up, its unavoidable. Has anyone thought of hydrogen solution for petrol powered vehicles?i saw this video on youtube: [video=youtube;43lIknxa8Tk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lIknxa8Tk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43lIknxa8Tk[/video]There are over 2000++ hits on ebay mostly relating to hydrogen kits for your petrol vehicles. Now, lets get this straight. Most of us will be able to afford petrol even if it hits so called "world price", but personally, my hands are itchy at the moment, feel like trying something new. Any comments? Pros and Cons? Would you do this on your vehicle?

I need real test on BMW in M'sia for me to convince:smokin:
I know a fren who DIY this set up on his manual Myvi & it works

This is how its installed:

[video=youtube;CfWvMB5QwWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWvMB5QwWY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfWvMB5QwWY[/video]

it seems, no modification is required.

Any more feedback????? Has anyone tried? of knows of anyone who tried this?

initialM;545727 said:

pls, more details!!! What was cost of conversion? where did he get components? what are they? is he willing to share with us how it works and how to install? What is his Fuel Consumption now? Pros and cons?!

Thanks.

kgb;545775 said:
pls, more details!!! What was cost of conversion? where did he get components? what are they? is he willing to share with us how it works and how to install? What is his Fuel Consumption now? Pros and cons?!

Thanks.

Its more like his interest so he experiment on his car. I'll ask him when got time & post it here but no promise la.:cool:

Okey, installed one today, lets see how it goes.

My current FC is around 0.24 cents town driving on e30/1991/318i/Manual

What i was told, it won't make much of a difference in heavy jam, almost none. But on highways, you should feel 20-30% FC decrease and increase in torque. All cars do vary, some can only give 10% some 50% it depends on lot of factors.

Lets see how my car behaves. So far, i've only driven about 10km, everything seems to be about the same, maybe it idles smoother, maybe it got more torque. But than again, i may not notice anything had i not known that there is a Hydrogen unit running under my hood.

Anyways, ECU got reset, so it'll take few hundred KM for it to get back to normal and that is when we can truly calculate the difference. As for now, stay tuned.

Cost of instillation: RM450
Warranty: 1 Year.

do keep a record of the FC over a few tank.

bet the car feel lighter with the H2 gas. So where all the water come from.

initialM;545727 said:

Your former mechanic also used the same technology in his ex-e39, right?

jarance;546464 said:
kgb, I thought you would have read this article here before installing the H2 generator.

http://www.fuelsaving.info/hydrogen.htm

i haven't read this article, but i did read few similar ones.

No doubt, everyone is skeptical about this, there is no definite YES or NO on the subject. There is no 100% guarantee that it is going to work on your vehicle the way seller claims it would.

Anyways, as far as i am concerned, my engine done over 460km, if it craps itself as a result, well, i've got an excuse to put in a 6 potter :stupid:

But on a bright side, it may just work, it may bring down Fuel Consumption. It may... let see. I shall report back at my next fuel refill.

kayzhen911;546497 said:
dude....
do u feel any power?
it shud come immediately u installed ur unit.

car does feel lighter. But, i do not want to claim this just yet, let me play around with it a bit.

Perhaps it feels lighter because hydrogen accumulates in my cylinders, causing immense pressure wanting to explode like an atomic bomb, who knows. So, lets continue testing.

got ecu or not?
maybe for 450 its a backyard product.
wat is the generator made of?>
stainless steel?
capacity of reservoir?

as for the unit im using....
the generator is stainless steel.
theres an ECU to manage the fuel management system.
water capacity is roughly 1-1.5 litres.
no brown gas but clean hydrogen.
most importantly, there is a hydrogen dryer to make sure the hydrogen that enters ur manifold is dry.
we dun wan wetness inside ur engine.

kayzhen911;546526 said:
as for the unit im using....
the generator is stainless steel.
theres an ECU to manage the fuel management system.
water capacity is roughly 1-1.5 litres.
no brown gas but clean hydrogen.
most importantly, there is a hydrogen dryer to make sure the hydrogen that enters ur manifold is dry.
we dun wan wetness inside ur engine.

Yes, generator is made out of stainless steel, capacity is around 1.5lt. There is no ECU or hydrogen drier.

positive and negative cable to generator and one hose into air intake manifold. That is all you get.

bmw7833;546461 said:
Your former mechanic also used the same technology in his ex-e39, right?

Ya lor forgot bout it. By the way he still 1 of my mechs:top:

kgb;546449 said:
My current FC is around 0.24 cents town driving on e30/1991/318i/Manual

Wow thats a high FC. Both my E46 & E39 around 23 to 25 cts per km.
2.8cc, 18" & 19" rims, a lots of additional weigh on ICE & heavy footer as well.
Of course my car good condition & I monitor fuel consumption every time fill up the tank. By the way I'm skeptical on all this fuel saving things & do not want to mess what BMW engineers have invented. I'm not smart to think better than them.:cool:

initialM;546657 said:
Wow thats a high FC. Both my E46 & E39 around 23 to 25 cts per km.
2.8cc, 18" & 19" rims, a lots of additional weigh on ICE & heavy footer as well.
Of course my car good condition & I monitor fuel consumption every time fill up the tank. By the way I'm skeptical on all this fuel saving things & do not want to mess what BMW engineers have invented. I'm not smart to think better than them.:cool:

agree, my FC is on a high side it seems, but right foot is also on a heavy side. As far as maintenance goes, i'd say its tip top throughout at this moment in time.

adding hydrogen, is a test, not so much of messing around with German engineering. Test and See, that is all.

Top Bottom