How to.....?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

DingChavez

Club Guest
How to tell if a rim is original or not? for example a hamman rim for e36. Looked at the back of the rim it stated et38 - 17x8jj - 690Kg. Any other indicators? ps, no, it's not mine, nor am i going to buy it. the rims came with an e36 318i manual that a friend bought. he doesnt like the 17 inch ride, so he changed to 16 inches running 215/55r16. He may wanna sell the rims too. what's the market price?

mayb it stated there 'made in germany'...but for me,we can easily know whether the rims are ori or not by looking at the finishing of the rims....didnt see any replica rims in the market that are 100% similar to original.

Originally posted by DingChavez@May 14 2006, 02:22 PM
How to tell if a rim is original or not? for example a hamman rim for e36. Looked at the back of the rim it stated et38 - 17x8jj - 690Kg. Any other indicators?

ps, no, it's not mine, nor am i going to buy it. the rims came with an e36 318i manual that a friend bought. he doesnt like the 17 inch ride, so he changed to 16 inches running 215/55r16. He may wanna sell the rims too. what's the market price?
Normally, If I buy a rim and looking for original (for instant, Hamann HM2), I will look for the set with different offset (front and rear), imitation normally doesnt have this type of thingy

And, "Made in Germany" is not reliable nowadays

Now, back to the Hamann story...

Original Hamann rims has a Hamann wording in front (side of the rim) easily viewable and it is some kind of timbul wording

How to explain ar...

Originally posted by bmwsideways@May 14 2006, 09:31 PM
Normally, If I buy a rim and looking for original (for instant, Hamann HM2), I will look for the set with different offset (front and rear), imitation normally doesnt have this type of thingy
replica also got offset rims....errmmmm...how to know arr?....experts? :D

To solve the problem,

Buy replicas and put a sticker on the rims stating "Original". Just joking!

The replicas nowadays have improved in their quality significantly to the extent that it is hard to tell except for the finishing. Nonetheless, the originals are noticeably lighter...and believed to be made of better material. :yahoo:

hmm..till now i still hardly knw how to see ori or repli..the only thing i knw is ori is more lighter...like some of our bro said we can diffrent shape from its looks..but i still cant. :p

I suppose weight is a major difference... Finishing, emm... it depends whether it has been redone..

i shud agree with bibendum!

.......most of the replicas especially made by taiwan can be 100% as the original can be.....the weight definitely will reveal the originality of the production........

i have ever seen the replica of hamann written "hanmann".......he.he.he.....

in reply to nik and bsideways... no hamman embossed at the at the lips or anywhere on the rims (i think)

and market price for the second hand rims?

No emboss? Probably replica then. An ori 2nd hand would probably set you back 3-4k. An original brand new in 18" guise was going for 8-9k

for the price range of rm3-4k, i wud prefer u get the 2nd hand used original rims.......though it is used......but better still!

unless you se the 'german' tuv sign, it's not original..

ask me how i know ?

because my rim had it when i bought new..

also, all rims with the 'tuv' or 'uu' is meant safe for german and japan use.. can be assured or quality and safety.. just like our 'sirim' certified..

Top Bottom