How to use Paddle Shift

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

splee

Club Guest
Anyone knows how to use the paddle shift smoothly? I have tried using it a few times but the gear changes is not very smooth. At which RPM should I up shift? When shifting, should I release the gas? And is the shifting point the same in Normal and Sports Mode?

splee;843306 said:
Anyone knows how to use the paddle shift smoothly? I have tried using it a few times but the gear changes is not very smooth. At which RPM should I up shift? When shifting, should I release the gas? And is the shifting point the same in Normal and Sports Mode?

I think It does help slightly if you ease off (not lift entirely) the accelerator when you up shift. I've tried up shifting early / late and they are pretty good (unlike the SMGs). For downshifts, I'd leave it to the system to do it by itself, since its the smoothest, unless I want to purposely push up the rpm into the sweet zone for quick burst of speed, off course there's a slight jerk here due to the tranny having to adjust to the engine speed. But Even the DSGs behave like this.

Having said the above, for max performance driving, my pref is putting the tranny into sports mode AND putting the drive mode into sports mode....without needing to meddle too much with the peddles. :)

Bruce_Z;843344 said:
I think It does help slightly if you ease off (not lift entirely) the accelerator when you up shift. I've tried up shifting early / late and they are pretty good (unlike the SMGs). For downshifts, I'd leave it to the system to do it by itself, since its the smoothest, unless I want to purposely push up the rpm into the sweet zone for quick burst of speed, off course there's a slight jerk here due to the tranny having to adjust to the engine speed. But Even the DSGs behave like this.

Having said the above, for max performance driving, my pref is putting the tranny into sports mode AND putting the drive mode into sports mode....without needing to meddle too much with the peddles. :)

I just realised today that there are 2 sports mode. One for transmission and another for throttle and steering. I wonder what's the rationale behind having the transmission and drive control separately? In my opinion, one sport mode for all is enough.

splee;843430 said:
I just realised today that there are 2 sports mode. One for transmission and another for throttle and steering. I wonder what's the rationale behind having the transmission and drive control separately? In my opinion, one sport mode for all is enough.

Yeah that was what I thought too initially. one would have thought that the drive mode switch woud do everything. But tranny sports mode does work when you want to maintain full manual control of the tranny if you are in manual mode. It won't downshift/ up shift by itself until the extremes are reached. So you have full control of its shifting behavior.

Is there any difference between Sport Mode + D and Sport Mode + S ?

Splee ... You want smooth then either buy a better car (VW with DSG) or leave it in D la. Simple as that.

Sports mode throttle is to make it more sensitive. My E90 in D has a soft throttle feel, so I got the Sprint Booster as I do not want to drive in DS with higher RPM for gear shifts.

There are reasons why ...

Splee ... You want smooth then either buy a better car (VW with DSG) or leave it in D la. Simple as that.

Sports mode throttle is to make it more sensitive. My E90 in D has a soft throttle feel, so I got the Sprint Booster as I do not want to drive in DS with higher RPM for gear shifts.

There are reasons why ...

Actually...if you really want smooth gear-shifting...get a car with CVT. Guaranteed to be smooth...so smooth you don't feel anything.

joonsuan;843584 said:
Actually...if you really want smooth gear-shifting...get a car with CVT. Guaranteed to be smooth...so smooth you don't feel anything.

Oh yeah ... Smooth as silk. No need to worry. Like my Lancer.

Splee ... Its a UDM, just enjoy it. Remember what you said last time? Ignore all the issues or short comings. Just enjoy it.

If want smoother ... put a pillow under your butt and wear kitchen mitts sure kenot feel vibration or anything :4:

Beemer ... You taking role play waaaaay too far dy la. Eh ... I hear you got a sailor suit ar? They say you called yourself Seaman Staines.

tIANcI;843589 said:
Beemer ... You taking role play waaaaay too far dy la. Eh ... I hear you got a sailor suit ar? They say you called yourself Seaman Staines.

Eh? Pirate suits got larrr ladies call me long dong silver :21:

Talking about rumours i hear that you moonlight as screwrity guard doing the rounds at a bangla hostels .... true arrr?

Beemer ... The research shows people do all that because they want to be what they are not. Like me, I like to play guns so ended up buying paintball and be a screwrity guard. So I think I know why you want to be Long Dong la.

Don't worry. Magazine says size dun matter.

Actually I am not complaining about the car. I just want to find out if I am doing it the correct way as I feel the gear changes is not as smooth if I use manual shift compared to fully automatic. Just curious is there a technique when using paddle shift to smoothen the gear change. Or is there an ideal RPM to change gear smoothly when using paddle shift. While playing with the various combination, I found out that there is Sport Mode with Normal transmission and Sport Mode with Sport transmission and I just want to know the difference between the two.

I turn the tranny into sport mode by either:
a. Flick the gear lever to left. [in Comfort Mode for instant downshift from 8th to 6th gear during high speed cruising]
b. Trigger the paddle shift. [in combination with Sport Mode for spirited drive such as attacking corners]
c. Select Sport Mode in iDrive. [in combination with a more responsive throttle + tighten steering feel]
Paddle shift in 8-speed tranny? I only use it in Sport Mode where the tranny will engage up to 6th gear at lower speed driving says 110kmh; at least I'm pretty sure that I'm downshifting from 6th but not from 8th gear.

To me there is no optimal or ideal shifting point but it depends on the situation. What is the point of having smooth gear changed by using paddle shift when we are engaged in Sport Mode? I would rather leave it fully auto.. Cheers..
BTW, what do u mean by "sport mode with normal transmission" eh?

m-sports;843603 said:
I turn the tranny into sport mode by either:
a. Flick the gear lever to left. [in Comfort Mode for instant downshift from 8th to 6th gear during high speed cruising]
b. Trigger the paddle shift. [in combination with Sport Mode for spirited drive such as attacking corners]
c. Select Sport Mode in iDrive. [in combination with a more responsive throttle + tighten steering feel]
Paddle shift in 8-speed tranny? I only use it in Sport Mode where the tranny will engage up to 6th gear at lower speed driving says 110kmh; at least I'm pretty sure that I'm downshifting from 6th but not from 8th gear.

To me there is no optimal or ideal shifting point but it depends on the situation. What is the point of having smooth gear changed by using paddle shift when we are engaged in Sport Mode? I would rather leave it fully auto.. Cheers..
BTW, what do u mean by "sport mode with normal transmission" eh?

Sport Mode with normal transmission means Sport Mode for throttle and D for transmission. Then when I flick the gear lever to left I have Sport Mode for throttle and Sport Mode for transmission. Both are fully auto transmission. Are these two combinations the same?

Sport Mode Transmission means shifts at higher RPM. Sports Mode Throttle means more sensitive throttle la. So you work out the combinations lor

The pertinent question here is while in Sport Mode, is there a difference in the gear shift point between D and DS?

Thank you in advance guys :top:

tIANcI;843591 said:
Beemer ... The research shows people do all that because they want to be what they are not. Like me, I like to play guns so ended up buying paintball and be a screwrity guard. So I think I know why you want to be Long Dong la.

Size dont matter eh? Comforting news for you then lol ;)

tIANcI;843591 said:

Size dont matter eh? Comforting news for you then lol ;)

Top Bottom