How to take a the value out of a collectors car.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Tor

Club Guest
I found this on Mudah. A 1981 E23: http://www.mudah.my/BMW+728i+A+-15063316.htmToday it is not really a collector, but tomorrow i will be. In europe there are clubs for these cars already. The mentioned car, looks nice and will be a good car to take back and forth to work, and to Genting in the weekends. With a nice reliable powerful Toyota engine it will do great. and it is worth the Rm 9.990,- he is asking. However for a collector or a BMW enthusiast the value is Rm 0,- I can see why this is being done. (save roadtax and fuel). But in my eyes, another classic BMW has been destroyed. (my personal opinion, maybe not yours). I would never go anywhere near this car. (sorry if i stepped on someones feelings)This one: http://www.mudah.my/BMW+E23+735i-14555048.htm I would have paid the almost 7k more for without thinking twice. Looks like a beautiful well maintained classic, that will take you where ever you want to go in real BMW comfort. :1:

Well, both cars might look pretty decent considering their age.

But I gotta agree with you though, the owners or even ex-owners maybe made those decisions to change the heart due to cost reasons, but somehow it will lose it's original identity.

Oh, the true value of BMW is NOT ONLY the car itself, but the heart, the engine.

Though, what do you mean the almost 7k?

The original 735i in JB asking price was 16.800,-

The modified 728i Toyota asking price 9.990,-

16.800-9.990 = 6.810,- hence almost 7.000 (7K)

So i would have no problem paying 7.000 more for the car in JB, even though i would have to pay more roadtax. I think it is worth it. :)

If you want a Toyota, Buy a Toyota not a BMW lookalike :) (sorry for being so direct) :48:

Oh yeah. I get it... I didn't see it that way.

Plus, it is 728i vs 735i. So I think there should be more features? I would agree to your way of thinking anyhow.

name of the seller: Ah Beng...
maybe that explain a little?

But kudos to him in a way not messing with the E23 outlook. Even got ori BMW wheels

Not to step on anybody´s toes. Personally i would not have paid more than 2000RM for the 1981 BMW/Toyota. Reason for paying 2000,- is that could probably sell the engine :) The rest would only be worth money as parts.

On the other hand, the one in JB is worth it´s RM16800,-. The attach photo is out of a german price-list (2012) for cars up to the -90´s.

The JB 735i Is probably a 1979 i would assume. Value of the car would be around (NOTE Between 2 and 3) 4400-9800 euro (difficult to say out of pictures only of car only) But I think a midpoint would be a good estimate.

For the BMW/Toyota. Looking at the table on the 728i the value would range between 3400- 8300 euro. With Toyota engine you willbe into NOTE 4 and value now will fall to 1600 euro.

BUT i have to emphasize that this is value of the car for a enthusiast/collector. The BMW/Toyota makes a brilliant car to take back and forth to work, and show your neighbor that you drive BMW. However it is nothing to bring to a BMW car meet thinking you will take home a prize.

View attachment 24290

these cars should have qualified for classic cars' 50% road tax by virtue of their age and originality. however conversion to toyota engine disqualified the 728.

See what you say, In Europe we have this deal. You have a limited milage on a on a vintage car to prevent the stingy´s to use a vintage as a daily transport. Lots of people would buy a vintage car because it was little or none road tax and insurance. Result was that they drove vintage cars down to scrap and bought another one just to pay as little as they could for transportation.

Yes, I agree vintage should have a lower tax, but then limit the milage to about 1000km a year for people, not to abuse the system. We all want classics to enjoy it, and be different from a Myvi owner. But all of us know that someone out there would screw it up for all of us, if he used a classic as a daily hack.

i see the rationale of the uk gomen's ruling on this. in the uk, one could buy a 10 year old small car for 1k to 2k quid and drive it for another 5-10 years. but not here. and there are folks who are unable or unwilling to pay for a new car. there are still lotsa running nissan 120y & toyota corolla wagon in the kampungs. for these folks, owning a classic is a necessity, not a "want". hence any savings in road tax is welcomed, though there's practically nothing to pay for a 1.2 or 1.3 car.

I think we have to distinguish between an old car and a classic/vintage car. If you have an old car that you care little about, and you have it because you can´t afford or you could not bother buying a newer one, it doesen´t make it a classic. A Datsun 120Y is and can be a classic if you care and maintain it as a member of your family. Classic cars doesn´t have to fancy stuff, it is just something out of the ordinary, something you don´t see everyday. A classic is not being bashed around on a everyday basis, held together by duck-tape and steel-wire. A classic/vintage is a family member and your friend, someone you are proud of :)

Then again this is only my opinion, I understand some may disagree.

Top Bottom