BMW E3 3.0S 1974 model Restoration

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
mikeklh;731808 said:
Tor, there's an E3 in USJ 19, near the mall. I believe it's registration number is 6000.

There are a couple of 2002s near Jason Foo's shop, but these are beyond restoration.

Yes I know the car with registration BAU 6000. The car is a runner, but has been vandalized outside garage. Owner didn´t seem to be wanting to, or in a hurry to sell. As mentioned earlier I think it is a composite car as it is a 1977 model with a pre 1970 rear end.

I know of one -02 outside Optimum. An inca orange 2002tii sitting on its brakes. Owner is not be heard from.
Where is the other one??

I like the E3.
Wondering which BMW series did this model belong to? Was it the precursor to the 5series or 7-series?

Cheers

Francis0729;729620 said:
go intro urself in newbie section. do u purchase the dim blue e3?..well do up the engine n gearboz.. dun replace it.. but if yo dun care.. you can replace it with newer m30 engines frm the e32 but will need slight mod in the direction of the gearbox place

I know it is common to replace engines in cars here in Malaysia, BUT it take the value of the car down to zero for an enthusiast/collector. I would not buy a car with a mix mash of engines and gearbox, and pay top $$$ for it.

To replace engines to get more horsepowers for a "streetmachine" and racing fast i understand. But try later to sell it as a collector will certainly fail

zib;732847 said:
I like the E3.
Wondering which BMW series did this model belong to? Was it the precursor to the 5series or 7-series?

Cheers

Yes E3 is the granmother of the 7-series

Tor;732831 said:
Yes I know the car with registration BAU 6000. The car is a runner, but has been vandalized outside garage. Owner didn´t seem to be wanting to, or in a hurry to sell. As mentioned earlier I think it is a composite car as it is a 1977 model with a pre 1970 rear end.

I know of one -02 outside Optimum. An inca orange 2002tii sitting on its brakes. Owner is not be heard from.
Where is the other one??

Maybe it was just the one then...My bad.

Bye the way, there's a 2002tii in need of restoration for sale in Motor Trader and on Mudah. Fancy a challenge?

Hi Tor,
I am yet to complete this project. The engine/gearbox has been completely overhauled. The piston was rusted and block filled with water when I bought it. Body works completed, scraped it to bare metal by Thai guy is USJ1 behind Summit. Completed the undercoat and installed back the engine/gearbox. Has issues with the twin carbs, could not find anyone here to do it, shipped it to US and got it back 2 months later in pristine condition. Starts/runs well.

Now car in spray shop, has been there for almost a year since spray guy is in/out of hospital.

Bad news is found out the Thai leather guy who was having all my interior parts and trims has absconded and came to know my parts were sold to some scrap dealer. In the process of looking for a donor car, any suggestions? Am interested with the one in USJ19, exactly where this car is? Below is how the car is now.
View attachment 24322

and the target to be restored to......

View attachment 24323

I talked to the owner of this car, and you are not talking about pocket money to get this car at USJ19. It is a pretty stiff price for a composite car. For a donor car this would out of anybodys league unless you are filthy rich. E3 is on the rise in europe as a collector, but have not quite got there amongst the E9. To be honest i think it is cheaper to get a donor car from europe to complete your project.

vinesh_k, so that's your car in Bodyworks! I was wondering whose it was...

You do know that Tan's sold the business to his foreman, Choo. I'm not sure if Kenneth is still in the picture though. Choo says he is but I haven't seen him there since Tan sold it. From what I can see, the quality of the work is still good, but they do more moderns now. I haven't been in a while but the last classic I saw being repainted was the TA23 Celica. Not sure what's happening with the TR4...

Tor, no, not the one advertised by David Lim. There was another in Malacca. It was a one owner car asking for RM10k or so. Ad's gone now though.

Hi Mike / Tor,
Thank you for the feedback. Yes in bodyworks, getting Leong to do it up slowly. Spoke to the owner of BAU6000, you are right, steep price. Bought some items from ebay and looking for more, should get around it completing this car, but a donor car would certainly expedite the process.
Last I saw Tan was one month back, he looked bad, didn't have to heart to push him to finish up my car. If you come across some parts for E3 do advise or the Melaka piece...

manage to locate a donor bmw e3 bound for scrap in australia. project back on track with a big hole in the pocket. any one knows a good wiring guy, need him to resplace some old wirings and tidy up with good conduits.

That's good news bro. Anyway, I'd hope to see some pictures.

Pictures would attract people to this thread, I think... Means more chances to people answering your questions. Just saying.

I envy your project. And you go to a great length to get to your goal by getting a car from Oz. As you have found out yourself, there is few E3 sitting around, so by buying a spare, maybe you can sell off spares to other projects after finished yours. Looking forward to see the result. :)

Thank you guys. Shall post some latest pictures soon. Polishing works on-going. Will start interior works soon once Oz guys ship out the parts.

hi rainbird,
no intentions to replace the engine. i have refurbished and restored it back to ori.

I´m glad to hear that you keep the engine. 200hk is more than enough to get you into troubble with the Highway patrol (police). :)

Top Bottom