how to lower my car?? HELP

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chillselalu

Club Guest
hi ppl...need information regarding the proper way to lower my car....currently my e36 is using the standard suspension. i just changed my rim's to 18 inch.. planning to lower my car but need advise regarding this area..alot of ppl have been telling me that the disadvantage of lowering your car is that the level of comfort of your car will be bad...(especially driving in kl road) How can i lower my car without effecting the comfort of the car? (dont want that hard and bumpy feeling while driving your car) Is it sufficient to change the spring only?am i supposed to change the absorber and spring?really dont have any idea about this area....:( i need help..

bro , u can try titan , they can make the car lowerd to your liking and you ride confort also , a bit expensive but i feel is worth it ... give it a try

vincent said:
bro , u can try titan , they can make the car lowerd to your liking and you ride confort also , a bit expensive but i feel is worth it ... give it a try

"titan" ....is that the name of the brand or the name of the place that can help me to lower my car...a bit unclear??

sorry for not stating it clear enough hehehe.
titan is a brand name , it do make your car go lower if u tell them to do it and also the ride confort you want or desire .
what it does is they make customs absorbers to your liking . abit more expensive but i feel is good as deal if im not mistaken it comes wit warranty also.
u can consider what dinan.328 recomend also most of the people are having this setup eibach +bilstein including myself .....

lower AND comfort?

no need change springs....just lower ur wheel lip aka PLOTONG SATRIA GTI!

btw, u no say u want performance ok.....cosmetic only mah..

good luck.

if i remember correctly, bilstein springs are made by eibach but just a little more expensive.

vincent said:

Are u riding on titan? Just to share the experience on its performance

Jules said:
lower AND comfort?

no need change springs....just lower ur wheel lip aka PLOTONG SATRIA GTI!

btw, u no say u want performance ok.....cosmetic only mah..

good luck.

lower ur whell lip aka PLOTONG SATRIA GTI??? didnt really get u?? care to explain

Bailey said:
bilstein B8 pair wit eibach spring will do bro

everyone in the forum have the same view as you....might considering this combination....how much is it again??? where to get??

bro try on the eibach springs first... then once you have the feeling of riding a low car, change the absorbers to provide you more stability... bilstein is good for the handling... i am using bilstein as well...

the eibach springs can be a range from rm 900 to rm 1200. depends on where you get it. most of the tyre shops will have the springs for you.

where is your home bro...?

just wondering since you are using 18'' rims.

1. What is your width = how many J is the rims?
2. What is your tyre size?

The reason for asking is because now I am having chiky tyres at the back where they like to rub the mud guard.

Cheers...

hi bro,

lowering your car for looks is great, but also, we want to lower the car safely.
lowered springs always tend to give you a "sportier" aka harder/firmer ride.. simple theory is, with a shorter spring, you have reduced suspension travel. If the spring rate is not increase, you will have a higher chance of bottoming out the suspension.. and when you increase the spring rate, its also usually recommended that you increase the damping rates(change to uprated dampers) to handle the uprated springs.

but most aftermarket OEM replacements springs are quite ok with standard shocks.. brands like eibach..etc. etc.

on bilstein, although they dont make their own springs, the springs they get are tailored to their dampers(shock absorber).

So far, as mentioned by the majority of people here, you cant go wrong with eibach and bilstein. The springs are dual-rate springs if i remember correctly. With initial compression, handled by the softer first rate, and as compression increases, its taken up by the stiffer 2nd stage of the spring.

chillselalu said:
lower ur whell lip aka PLOTONG SATRIA GTI??? didnt really get u?? care to explain

simple really.....since its an optical correction we want ( lower gap between fender and tyres compared to tyres height...) you just increase the fender coverage towards tyre...

this can be done by bolt on fender arches.....see the Plotong GTis and you know what I mean.

So no need change springs/abs.....just modify bodywork mah!

Comfort and looks.....you get both. ke ke ke :p

Chillselalu,

Jules is RIGHT.

Let me see... You value comfort, but you've just put in 18" rims.

Next, you want to ____ your car, but still want comfort.
.........................lower

So, basically, you are going for a certain, as Jules so nicely put it, optical effect. Just wondering. Why do people think big rims and lowered cars look 'cool', but do not want the ride comfort to be affected?

Here's another way to achieve the look you want whilst not sacrificing comfort. Carry lots of fat people. All the time. That way, your car will certainly be lowered, and ride comfort will not be affected much. Cheap too - only costs extra fuel consumption.

No? Then, here's a thought. There's absolutely no way to 'lower' a car without sacrificing comfort. The springs need to be harder to compensate for the reduced travel (people who simply cut their springs would have learnt this the hard way.)

Understand why lowered cars look cool. Where did the look come from, racing cars? Racing cars are lowered for a reason. To lower the center of gravity. To reduce body roll while cornering. To create a vacuum under the car to increase roadholding. To look cool for the cameras. Oh wait. Strike that last one out.

And racing cars are HARD.

So, what should you be looking for? Decide carefully exactly what you want. Purely looks? Improved handling? Comfort?

A car's suspension setup is an exercise in compromise. Lowering the car for looks also improves handling to a certain extent, but compromises comfort, and vice versa. The latest suspension systems tries to straddle the best of both worlds by dynamically altering the stiffness according to the driving situation. Great, but expensive.

After you've figured out what your priorities are, look for a compromise that you can accept. The lower the car, the harder the springs, the harsher the ride. So, maybe you should try some lowered rides, and see what level of hardness you can tolerate.

By the way, your ride comfort is already affected; by your eighteen inchers.

Good luck in your quest.

in simple economist view.... oportunity cost.. u jst need to sacrifice something..!

thanks for all the info guys...really useful for me....

1 more question that i would like to ask... is it possible for me to change just the spring and still used the standard absorber....( planning to used ebaich pro-kit spring ) will the standard absorber be damages if i only change the spring?

what is the advantage of me changing the spring and absorber?
if i change the spring and the absorber wil it be super stiff and hard?? i read at one of the forum..someone selling his brand new eibach and blisten shock cause it is to hard and stiff..could not handle it..?? is this true...??

Changing spring only without the shock is ok. But it will shorten the life span of the standard shock a bit....

Your can't expect comfort like the original thing but you can get a setup which is acceptable.... i'm on eibach and bilstein.... its not too bad, still fine with me... but my old man complains about it... but, just a bit... :p

Another thing is the BMW chassis is actually quite OK in terms of lowered comfort compared to other lowered cars i've owned. I've owned a lowered EK (Fair) and a lowered proton before, which was an absolute back breaker.. :D

Top Bottom