how to clean headlights??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

-berq-

hello there!!need sum tips on how to clean the headlights...mine is foggy oredi...huhu :blink: thanxs..

Originally posted by -berq-@Sep 4 2005, 10:58 AM
hello there!!
need sum tips on how to clean the headlights...mine is foggy oredi...huhu :blink:

thanxs..
berq,

Here is how I cleaned my headlights (glass type) yesterday :yes: :
1. Removed the wiring & bulbs from the headlights.
2. Took out the headlights by removing the brackets.
3. Pour some car wash detergents into the inside of headlights together with sand.
4. Shake gently - don't shake too hard as this may remove the chrome material (don't know what it's call) inside the headlight which helps focussing the beam.
5. Pour out the detergent & sand, then cleaned it thouroughly.

The foggy effect inside my headlights had gone :yahoo: !

But there are some disadvantage thou :blink: :
1. Once the inside of headlights had completely dried, some water marks remain around the chrome material.
2. Scratches & crack lines in front of the headlights had became very obvious.

yo cklim, does the sand cause the scratches? is there a difference if we use more coarse or fine sand (e.g. silica sand)?

hahaha ... are the dry spots obvious? can we used a hair dryer to dry it??? :D

sand??? that's 'hard core' man...

I've cleaning mine before but using only water and maybe mild detergent... and a lot of SHAKING....
then SOLAR power and hair dryer power.... ;)

Cheers to Sifu Fab..for most eco friendly solution kekkekkek..solar power the way to go dude..too bad our local scientists cant come up with efficient solar cell to take advantage of natural resource.. prob. too busy trying to synthesise more tongkat ali :D :D :D

ok i'll try it this weekend ... I chuck in some of my own company made limonene (terpane) based industrial multipurpose cleaner see how it goes ... :D if that is too strong maybe have to use "New Skins" products ... :blush: my car has to pampered some times. :D

use alchohol will helps too... pure one i mean...

pour into the head lamp and shake it until u satisfiy..
don't worry.. alchohol won't kill the chrome reflector..

the head lamp area MUST be free of oil...

if not the ur head lamp will turns to yellowish then brown..

Just my experience... hope this help... thanks

Originally posted by ludavic@Nov 8 2005, 12:55 AM
yo cklim, does the sand cause the scratches? is there a difference if we use more coarse or fine sand (e.g. silica sand)?

hahaha ... are the dry spots obvious? can we used a hair dryer to dry it??? :D
ludavic

Not the sand that cause the scratches, coz these scratches were on the outside.

One thing I've learned from my lady boss today, she said I should use shreded egg shell instead of sand - she always use this method to clean her plastic water containers w/o leaving any scrathes on the inside :blink: !! Not sure whether this could work for glass though :dunno: ?!

I had tried using hair dryer to dry the water inside the headlights but it was very slow lah, ended up using wind power - fan :D ! The dry spots are quite noticeable if u look closely :( .

Originally posted by fabianyee@Nov 8 2005, 01:02 AM
I've cleaning mine before but using only water and maybe mild detergent... and a lot of SHAKING....
then SOLAR power and hair dryer power.... ;)
fabian,

Could solar power & hair dryer power dry the water inside ur headlights w/o leaving any dry spots??

guys i did it ... and guess what? i must have shaked it too hard but how gentle was i already ... still, the foil came out slight... i was not even using sand.

Just detergent and thats all. So too all who think they are up to this ... better do it really really really gently.

I use a bamboo chop stick , tied a piece of goss with rubber band and wipe the inside of the glass. Some tight corner use smaller piece. it takes alot of patient to do this. Now it is sparkle.
Oh by the way it is on my E21 head lamp.

Top Bottom