how to clean engine bay??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

-berq-

ola!!need some tips on how to clean engine bay...:Dmine never clean wan...huhuthanxs.

if you jet spray it, make sure you cover the AFM and other electonic components with plastic bag (or something)

no need jet spray, normal hose will do, spray degreaser or multi purpose cleaner onto engine which you can get for RM25/= at supermarket and then hose off dont spray, let the engine dry off naturally, normally i do it in the evening and leave overnight...

How sure are you that the insulation of electrical wires on your car are not cracked. Implication of water getting into the wiring????

Personally, I would suggest that you dry clean your car, using kitchen towels (paper).

For stubborn stuff, where no electrical wires are present you could use the degreaser as mentioned very carefully.

u wanna be careful using engine degreasers as these are petroleum based and will feck up rubber parts.

i use simple green for all engine compartment cleaning. not cheap but its good. works as well as degreaser except on all but the toughest grease stains. plastic & rubber safe, too. just spray it on, let it sit for a few mins, scrub the dirtier bits with a plastic brush, then wipe off with a damp cloth.

i dont recommend spraying water inside the engine bay as modern cars have way too much electronics in there.

when ur done with the cleaning, dress up the black parts with meguiars trim detailer. the black plastic bits will shine like new!

good luck!

redd

Hi Redd

Can you tell me where to get 'simple green' cleaners? Ace H/ware?
TQ

Originally posted by Redd@Sep 7 2005, 01:36 PM
u wanna be careful using engine degreasers as these are petroleum based and will feck up rubber parts.

i use simple green for all engine compartment cleaning. not cheap but its good. works as well as degreaser except on all but the toughest grease stains. plastic & rubber safe, too. just spray it on, let it sit for a few mins, scrub the dirtier bits with a plastic brush, then wipe off with a damp cloth.

i dont recommend spraying water inside the engine bay as modern cars have way too much electronics in there.

when ur done with the cleaning, dress up the black parts with meguiars trim detailer. the black plastic bits will shine like new!

good luck!

redd
One time i was at this well-known workshop, I saw a worker washing the engine with a jet spray. Wondor if it is safe or not?

Get a small portable air compressor for RM280 from hardware shop and blow the dirt and water away?.

On budget side use straw and blow..

almost all modern cars with ABS will have the ABS control unit in the engine bay. some cars - like modern alfas - have the ECU sitting right in the engine bay. washing the engine with water is suicide. ur welcome to try it, just dont say we didnt warn u.

u can get Simple Green from Ace Hardware in the cleaning fluids section. it aint cheap.

redd

there is one place in kayu ara which does bmw....they charge rm15 for was, vacuum and engine wash. they did my car and Dingchavez car.

I once paid Autodetailer RM40 (i think.....) in Section 13 and drive away a very happy man. Dustfree and brand new looking engine. Better leave it to the experts lah...... :D

Top Bottom