How reliable / common problems of '99 318i manual UK spec M43

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

CcL.

Club Guest
Dear SifusI looked at a '99 318i manual with 143k MILES ~230k km yesterday and really liked the car except the owner has not changed much of anything (maintenance wise) in the last 3 years it was in msia. Brake pad wear light was on and accelerator was stiff. I'm assuming these cost under RM500 to rectify?Interior was ok except the arm rest center console's rubber coating was blemished. Any way to fix that?Lastly, what are the common issues of the M43? It being a manual transmission should take out the slushbox as a damning factor right? However the clutch was never changed.. at 143k miles, I would think is about time? What other wear/tear item to look for on the E46? The car is in jln ipoh batu 5 area and I stay in damansara/ss2 area. Is there a mechanic sifus can recommend to have the car go through a full inspection?I basically want a $number on how much this car will need to get it on the road in a reliable condition for many years to come (preventive maintenance). Also, just realised the odo was in miles... that is quite a high KM car... is it worth the rm46k asking?Thank you all for your advises!ps. I would love a 3.2L monster too but at this point... I can live with a 1.9 for the looks and safety of a E46. :cool:

basic rules: please put aside around RM 10K for service/spare parts. since the car is already quite old on the road, if the previous owner cant give you complete maintenance receipt etc,
but if what you said is true, that the owner didnt changed much the wears and tears parts of his car I say you should look around for other cars. have you try looking around in mudah.my?

perhaps you can get some ideas on the maintenance on this thread
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?55-E46-parts-amp-maintenance

Top Bottom