Hissing sound from Power Steering.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chinlai

Club Guest
Notice last Sunday that when I turn my wheels to the extremes (left and right) there is a slight hissing sound that comes out from around the power steering module.. Is this normal?

aaa. got snake in ur car lehhh .... :p

My car oso like dat. But I tend to live with it...

ANy ideas from the rest ?

Mine also the same! So I think either its normal or all our cars are screwed :cry: :cry: :cry: :rofl:

hahaha.. the hissing means that there is power steering pump valves are lose.. be prepared for a new set..

it's the same on mine... i was also thinking it's normal since the noise have been there for years... what's the downside? anyone fixed theirs? if it's a couple of hundred ringgit stuff, guess i'll just have them fixed...

Unless there is excessive leaking in the hoses or ends of your PS pump and PSgearbox, it is normal. Usually on full-lock turns, at the end of the lock. It appears that pressure is really great and there is some internal leakage in the PSgearbox or the PSpump due to age. (internal wear)

I was told sometimes re-doing the PSpump seals will help. But only occasionally, in most cases, if these things are opened, they tend to get worse. So if it is not leaking, DON"T touch it!. Just make sure the PSreserviour has enough fulid to do its work. Level should be a Max. For those with a filter, about 1 cm of the filter should be the fluid. Make sure the cap is tight!.

It is rare that we use full-lock in turns, except for some tighe parking spaces, so it should be OK for some time.

Originally posted by E34EuroTouring@Jun 6 2005, 03:34 PM
... in most cases, if these things are opened, they tend to get worse. So if it is not leaking, DON"T touch it!. Just make sure the PSreserviour has enough fulid to do its work.
thanks for the tip bro... guess i won't be messing with the pump valves then...

Top Bottom