High RPM when Cruising...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Hustler

Club Guest
Hi Guys,Just needed some information on this issue. I own a E30 BMW 325i Automatic(yr 1987). Its Running on a m20 2.5cc engine with a 4 speed auto Gearbox(With sports mode). When im cruising around 100 kmh i notice that the engine is revving at close to 4000rpm on 4th gear. Is there any Sifu`s here can tell me if there is anyway to lower the RPM when cruising at those speeds.

are you sure it's at 4th gear, sounds like 2nd or 3rd gear...

gearbox not up switching...

kidding..

the only reason is that your car is runing on the electronic ecu, not the cable type like the older versions, hence on sport mode, the gears will only run on 3rd gear till you hit top of the rpm range, it won't change till it's back on eco mode...

standard on most of bmw's...

Hey thanks for the quick response... Im pretty sure im on 4th gear as i have shifted up and down manually to check this. My 4th gear kicks in only after i pass 80kmh. My mech said that the car has very close ratios and nothing wrong with gear box. Just wondering if there is anyway to overcome this issue.

No idea how to check the diff ratio.... All i know is that the previous owner told me everything Original... And i think he also told me this model standard LSD but not to sure la...

there should be a metal tag on the rear diff tightened with one of the bolts... that common ratios are 4.10, 3.91, 3.73, 3.64... The lower the ratio, the lower the rpm at cruising speed...

Thanks so much bro... will check tomorrow wit my mech... If its on the 4.10 ratio can i convert it to 3.64? Any side effects? Im not a speed maniac just want a quite cruise....

No side effects whatsoever as its a plug and play diff change. But with a lower diff, you'll loose the pulling power and gain on top end. Good for cruiser and no fun for town driver. Try to get the best of both world diff so you wont loose either. Go for 3.73 or 3.64.

Top Bottom