Help with S50 engine clarification

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ssmann

Club Guest
Sifus,I need some help around my S50 as follows: -1. Engine oil - I read that Castrol TWS 10w60 is the recommended engine oil. This is pretty heavy stuff and requires alot of heating up before the car can run. I read on other ///M threads that the best engine oil is a 0w40 or full synthetic 10w40 or 5w50. Pls let me have your views and what engine oil you use for your S50 engine. Intervals for change also appreciated. I do rev the car to its max often2. Is it common that on 5th gear at 100kmh the rev count is around 2,800 RPM? I run a 5 speed manual on a S50B30 engine with a 3.15 final drive diff3. Exhaust system - currently the car has a custom system from the back. I understand from previous owner that the ori exhaust back box gave way and he changed it at Ah Heng. I also feel the current system lacks the back pressure to realise the optimum power from the S50. Pls help recommend what is the best remedy around this. Any aftermarket recommended systems that work wonders for the S50?This is all for now. Many thanks for all assistance rendered!

i suspected the same about your rear silencer. anyhow there's a used E36 M3 backbox on ebay asking US$99. dunno what the shipping will be but this solution is the safest bet.

ssmann;586379 said:
Sifus,

I need some help around my S50 as follows: -

1. Engine oil - I read that Castrol TWS 10w60 is the recommended engine oil. This is pretty heavy stuff and requires alot of heating up before the car can run. I read on other ///M threads that the best engine oil is a 0w40 or full synthetic 10w40 or 5w50. Pls let me have your views and what engine oil you use for your S50 engine. Intervals for change also appreciated. I do rev the car to its max often

2. Is it common that on 5th gear at 100kmh the rev count is around 2,800 RPM? I run a 5 speed manual on a S50B30 engine with a 3.15 final drive diff

3. Exhaust system - currently the car has a custom system from the back. I understand from previous owner that the ori exhaust back box gave way and he changed it at Ah Heng. I also feel the current system lacks the back pressure to realise the optimum power from the S50. Pls help recommend what is the best remedy around this. Any aftermarket recommended systems that work wonders for the S50?

This is all for now. Many thanks for all assistance rendered!

Bro,

1. For the S50 I wouldn't be too worried about the oil viscosity. In countries with 4 seasons, it is recommended to use 5W-40 but due to the initial engine blew ups mainly in the first batch of S54 engines, BMW recommended TWS 10-60 to be used. I have tried the 10-60W, and then switched to 0W-40 for the past 9 months and absolutely like the lighter engine feeling (more revvy) and slightly better fuel consumption. Last week, was the first time I drove in Sepang with the 0W-40. I noticed the oil temp is lower than previous times I tracked the car.
As for service interval, I replaced the oil filter (use the M50 one) and oil every 5000km without fail.

2.Looks perfectly fine to me.

3. I still believe the original backbox provides the best compromise of sound, backpressure and performance. The gentleman that brought my previous E36 Coupe (that has the original M3 backbox), has replaced it with a supersprint backbox. He didn't like the rattling noise, so you may want to make him an offer. PM me for his number if you want to nego with him. The original backbox has low backpressure, the key is the catalytic converter. I had that removed before, and like I told you just after a few minutes driving it I made an U-turn got it fixed back at Ah Heng's :)

Cheers

mizhan;586381 said:
i suspected the same about your rear silencer. anyhow there's a used E36 M3 backbox on ebay asking US$99. dunno what the shipping will be but this solution is the safest bet.

Thanks bro. I'll pay Ah Heng a visit and see what's wrong with the ori backbox.

If the ori back box is still there, I am sure Ah Heng would be able to "re-pack" it. But it may not solve your back pressure problem. If the car is jack up, take a picture and post it here. It would be good to see what's underneath your car.

Cheers

ALBundy;586387 said:
Bro,

1. For the S50 I wouldn't be too worried about the oil viscosity. In countries with 4 seasons, it is recommended to use 5W-40 but due to the initial engine blew ups mainly in the first batch of S54 engines, BMW recommended TWS 10-60 to be used. I have tried the 10-60W, and then switched to 0W-40 for the past 9 months and absolutely like the lighter engine feeling (more revvy) and slightly better fuel consumption. Last week, was the first time I drove in Sepang with the 0W-40. I noticed the oil temp is lower than previous times I tracked the car - Thanks bro. I suspect the same and based on research will try out the 0W40 option on the next service intervalAs for service interval, I replaced the oil filter (use the M50 one) and oil every 5000km without fail.

2.Looks perfectly fine to me. - Thanks, I gotta get used to the high revs I guess
3. I still believe the original backbox provides the best compromise of sound, backpressure and performance. The gentleman that brought my previous E36 Coupe (that has the original M3 backbox), has replaced it with a supersprint backbox. He didn't like the rattling noise, so you may want to make him an offer. PM me for his number if you want to nego with him. The original backbox has low backpressure, the key is the catalytic converter. I had that removed before, and like I told you just after a few minutes driving it I made an U-turn got it fixed back at Ah Heng's :) - Thanks. Will PM you. Also I need to check if my cat is still on. Will pay Ah Heng a visit tomorrow to see what's wrong with the ori box.
Cheers

P.S - the x brace is great and helped me when I almost entered a pothole that was not at all visible. Saved the oilsump big time!!! Thanks

SSmann,

Nice to hear you like the bottom plate stiffener. It's a very rare item :)

I am using Castrol 0W-40 Edge sport, this is a group IV oil with similar base compound like the TWS. Got it from PH Auto at Sea Park for RM195. And the formulation is better than the TWS, as this is the latest oil from Castrol where as the TWS has been around for years, from silver to gold 1 liter bottles but the formulation is the same.

As for the revs, that is normal. In fact on the E46 ///M3 its even higher :)

If you want to lower it, get a 6 speed gearbox :)

ALBundy;586394 said:
If the ori back box is still there, I am sure Ah Heng would be able to "re-pack" it. But it may not solve your back pressure problem. If the car is jack up, take a picture and post it here. It would be good to see what's underneath your car.

Cheers

Will do...for now a pic of the brace.....
m3brace.jpg

ALBundy;586398 said:
SSmann,

Nice to hear you like the bottom plate stiffener. It's a very rare item :) - Great stuff man! Mech was shocked to see it as an Ori BMW item
I am using Castrol 0W-40 Edge sport, this is a group IV oil with similar base compound like the TWS. Got it from PH Auto at Sea Park for RM195. And the formulation is better than the TWS, as this is the latest oil from Castrol where as the TWS has been around for years, from silver to gold 1 liter bottles but the formulation is the same. - I'll procure this. Any Shell recommended fuels....got discount leh...hehehehehe
As for the revs, that is normal. In fact on the E46 ///M3 its even higher :)

If you want to lower it, get a 6 speed gearbox :)
- hahahahaa! Budget not permitting. Maybe next year after a remap, a sorted out exhaust system can consider a new GB

Shell Ultra helix only has 0W-30 and 5W-30...maybe you can try :)

The N54 twin turbo engines are also using this viscosity, so it should be alright with the S50.

phaiii , get an UUC RSC36 backbox larrr .... i'm gonna bring in one soon ..just waiting for the best shipping quote ....

ICEMAN 13;586473 said:
phaiii , get an UUC RSC36 backbox larrr .... i'm gonna bring in one soon ..just waiting for the best shipping quote ....

pHAI -sounds nice man......bring it in...lets us listen to it on your baby!!!

ssmann;586630 said:
pHAI -sounds nice man......bring it in...lets us listen to it on your baby!!!

[video=youtube;lLpYSM6IGtU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLpYSM6IGtU[/video]

just waiting for the right shipping quote ...

[video=youtube;PbKtQPeEHtc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbKtQPeEHtc[/video]

[video=youtube;rRdF0NsdYUE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRdF0NsdYUE&feature=related[/video]

enjoy it phaoooo

ssmann;586627 said:
Bro - thanks! This is some really valuable info!

No worries bro..Newbie trying to help while learning..hehehe

[video=youtube;GvyE5nkmSvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvyE5nkmSvo[/video]

[video=youtube;RO3ZLMQj0iE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO3ZLMQj0iE&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;XBEMeCft9Dw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBEMeCft9Dw&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;v798356YNz0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v798356YNz0&feature=related[/video]

Top Bottom