help needed... Projector head lamp malfunction... one side only

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

qaplause

Club Guest
Salam and Good day to all sifus and fellow forumers....My left side projector head lamp to be found defective n suspected due to water ingress. I've checked the bulb and ballast itself and still in good working order by swapped it to get supply from right side lamp. Did checked the supply from right side about 80-90 Vac, and no supply from left side at all.... so, is there any other possible cause? Hope all expert sifus can guide me here...... thanx in advance,..

Not an expert, but just trying to help. Your HID lighting system, are they OEM or aftermarket? It is not a good idea to probe the ballast output to the bulb as the voltage peak is very high, 25kV. What you need to check is whether there is 12V source into the ballast.

aau.jpg

Yes, my guess was ryte n u wil da first to respond thanx for da advice bro aidil, by daway mine is after market... Or may be we can meet up, since i never meet any members in this club yet heheh, maybe invite other fello penangites, ops sorry of topic.

For your info, aidilj also Penang kaki, he is one of the DIY king here.

bmw7833;689445 said:
yup.. im aware of that... n that's why im seeking of his expertise to guide me get through this.... tolong la incik nnt saya blanja makan... hahhaaha

qaplause;689438 said:
Yes, my guess was ryte n u wil da first to respond thanx for da advice bro aidil, by daway mine is after market... Or may be we can meet up, since i never meet any members in this club yet heheh, maybe invite other fello penangites, ops sorry of topic.

No prob, just trying to help. Definitely can meet up, there are a few of us here on the island and seberang. Can organize an afternoon TT for you since you only have one headlight. From island we have yee, viewfinder, VKS, fir, riz, arifferio, bmw520, mikeyc, ntslaca, ade, bmoldman. From seberang louis, tiger1148, dilla, kokwei. These are the few that I know and some met to chat, I bet there are more around.

bmw7833;689445 said:

Bro Lim, my DIY is so-so only. I bet there are better DIYer that doesn't share their work. When they look at my work, they'll be like "Ugh this kid again" :shot:

hi bro,

if ur e46 is without xenon, and u measured supply from pin 2 on the connector of both right and left headlamp? and no supply from left, most probably there's a wire break between the light switch ctrl unit or ur light switch ctrl unit is K.O.-ed.. hehe hope that helps

aidilj;689527 said:
No prob, just trying to help. Definitely can meet up, there are a few of us here on the island and seberang. Can organize an afternoon TT for you since you only have one headlight. From island we have yee, viewfinder, VKS, fir, riz, arifferio, bmw520, mikeyc, ntslaca, ade, bmoldman. From seberang louis, tiger1148, dilla, kokwei. These are the few that I know and some met to chat, I bet there are more around.

Ok bro aidilj, no prob for me at all.... as for me everyday is sunday and doing nothing at home... so please let me know when u r free, daytime or night is okay for me.... since i still got my fog light.....

malcolmc;689535 said:
hi bro,

if ur e46 is without xenon, and u measured supply from pin 2 on the connector of both right and left headlamp? and no supply from left, most probably there's a wire break between the light switch ctrl unit or ur light switch ctrl unit is K.O.-ed.. hehe hope that helps

thanx bro, will check and revert back here soon

aidilj;693460 said:
Bro, any update on this?

Heheh sorry for the late reply, yeah after we opened up that day, n confirm its short circuited by water ingressi, i manage to clean the board thoroughly with electric/electronic contact cleaner, blow with comp air, and dried it up by let it sunbath for one whole day, and assemble back, reconnect everything and guess what??? It works, heheh... Now my babe no more jack sparrow al'dy.....
Thanx aidil for some advice that day, n now i think got new issue with my o2 sensor as it reappear after clear it at sean yesterday... Hmmm think gonna meet u again laaa hehe

qaplause;694048 said:
Heheh sorry for the late reply, yeah after we opened up that day, n confirm its short circuited by water ingressi, i manage to clean the board thoroughly with electric/electronic contact cleaner, blow with comp air, and dried it up by let it sunbath for one whole day, and assemble back, reconnect everything and guess what??? It works, heheh... Now my babe no more jack sparrow al'dy.....
Thanx aidil for some advice that day, n now i think got new issue with my o2 sensor as it reappear after clear it at sean yesterday... Hmmm think gonna meet u again laaa hehe

Wow it still works, thats OEM quality.

So O2 error came up? If the car still drives okay then this is not very urgent. Sure we got TT on Dec 16

Top Bottom