HELP!!! Gear Knob stopper (E36 Auto) stuck!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

pujiesss

Club Guest
My gear knob stopper got stuck yesterday, I can change from (D) to (R) without pushing the stopper.. help! ..:confused:

pujiesss;203271 said:
My gear knob stopper got stuck yesterday, I can change from (D) to (R) without pushing the stopper.. help! ..:confused:

heee.. i can change to P>>R>>N>>D>>4>>3>>2 also without pushing the lock...:D

got get a Allan key and take the knob out and and see what's wrong. Most likely it is the plastic locking shaft. Becareful when you dismantle and assembly, remember what you did. Not confident, take it to a mechanic.

Or take this as perfect opportunity to change the knob to a E46 one.... or CF one or semi CF or Aluminium ... etc etc.. heheheheheh :D

p.s. Urmm.. if u decide to upgrade... u need to change the gear level shaft as well... :rolleyes:

thanx sesat88..
good2... em, if want to upgrade to e46 knob, how much da cost? including gear lvl shaft and installation.. how much how much?

pujiesss;203287 said:
thanx sesat88..
good2... em, if want to upgrade to e46 knob, how much da cost? including gear lvl shaft and installation.. how much how much?

This gatal medicine cost approx. from RM700 to RM1k, depending on what knob you want and inclusive of the gear level shaft as well. :D

mate pujiesss,
sesat88 is right,it's the plastic locking shaft,well u could take it to a mech get him to open it up and probably file it,it should work or visit a chopchop shop u might find one complete set[rare but it's that lucky star u have].
got on complete new set for my friend's e39 from singapore for rm1100, here's it about rm2k.oouch,right.

thnx a lot buddy sanjay nv.. much appreciated. well, its da 1st prob by da way. just got 'my love' last week.. :D hehe~ can anyone recommend me a gud mechanic? im in ampang.. i really dunno much about car (learning :p ) n need a gud mechanic dat dun tekan2 to refer to. anyone?

pujiesss;203349 said:
thnx a lot buddy sanjay nv.. much appreciated. well, its da 1st prob by da way. just got 'my love' last week.. :D hehe~ can anyone recommend me a gud mechanic? im in ampang.. i really dunno much about car (learning :p ) n need a gud mechanic dat dun tekan2 to refer to. anyone?

check the list of workshop that club members go to la... somewhere in this forum

No lah... the e36 have a sponge thing that push the lever out and prevent you from shifting to D to R mode.

To repair, just removed the handle with a torx key. cut a small piece of sponge about 20mm X 10mm X 10mm. Trim the sponge if necessary to fix between the handle lever.

I have used sound proofing sponge (air con) and it works well for me.

Last time happen to me, I just punch 2 or 3 time and it's work for me until now....not really know what happen inside the gear knob. But it work.

jarance;203369 said:
No lah... the e36 have a sponge thing that push the lever out and prevent you from shifting to D to R mode.

To repair, just removed the handle with a torx key. cut a small piece of sponge about 20mm X 10mm X 10mm. Trim the sponge if necessary to fix between the handle lever.

I have used sound proofing sponge (air con) and it works well for me.

hmmmm... now that i haven't tried before. Thank for the advice! :D

thnx a lot jarance and genius328i... much appreciated.

so its not allenkey rite? i tried 4 n 5, its just not fit. its a torx key izzit jarance? so need to find BM mechanic.. any idea where to go in ampang?

pujiesss;203481 said:
thnx a lot jarance and genius328i... much appreciated.

so its not allenkey rite? i tried 4 n 5, its just not fit. its a torx key izzit jarance? so need to find BM mechanic.. any idea where to go in ampang?

YES, it is a torx key.. It is a good investment to buy 1 set. It shaped like a star but six sided. Any hardware store sell it.. In fact, BMW mostly used this for all the bolt. Door, handle etc..

Thing is torx key can fit alley bolt but not the other way round.

sesat88;203416 said:
hmmmm... now that i haven't tried before. Thank for the advice! :D

Only if you feel that the lever at the shift handle feel like there is no spring effect.

If feel that the lever have a strong springy effect, then it most likely the plastic lever inside that is dislocated.

yeah, another thing is that I remember that the rubber spring cost about RM10 when I change it at the workshop. DIY.. 20 cents.

jarance;203491 said:
Only if you feel that the lever at the shift handle feel like there is no spring effect.

If feel that the lever have a strong springy effect, then it most likely the plastic lever inside that is dislocated.

yeah, another thing is that I remember that the rubber spring cost about RM10 when I change it at the workshop. DIY.. 20 cents.

hahaa.. i never feel before got sprint effect on knob, coz it has been stuck every since i got it! :D .

sesat88;203517 said:
hahaa.. i never feel before got sprint effect on knob, coz it has been stuck every since i got it! :D .

that is what we call the new version of steptronic..

you step on the acceleator and shift the gear by a cronic :cool:

jarance;203522 said:
that is what we call the new version of steptronic..

you step on the acceleator and shift the gear by a cronic :cool:

cough cough cough... i think i got a chronic cough in addition to my chronic foot!:eek:

emmm I had the same problem when I newly Bought the car found
the gear knob had a slight free play, so what i did, i tighten the screw and at last
1..2..3..P..N…D all can be changes without pushing the lock…
Conclusion: Make the screw loose a bit again ( a slight free play ) now only can shifty while pressing the lock..

Top Bottom