Help - buying an E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

TheFazz

Club Guest
Bimmer sifoos all.I am looking for a E39, either a 2.3 or 2.5 double vanos.I had a look and test drove one today in KL. According to the guy, the car is UK-spec, 525i SE (2.5l).Noticed a plate stating the car is a Sept 01 model. 6 Airbags (prefer 8), cassette player (not CD!). About 28k miles on the clock.Checked out the VIN, and got the following info... Chassis number --------Vehicle code DT42Series E39Model 525iBody type saloonCatalog model ECEProduction date 2001 / 08Engine M54Transmission AutomaticSteering RightCatalyzer YESAdditional Information for Vehicle code DT42Production FROM : 2000/08/01 TO : 2003/05/31Engine M54Engine Oil 6.50 LiterTransmission AutomaticTransmission Model A5S 325ZTransmission Oil 9.40 LiterRear Axle Oil 1.00 LiterCoolant(w/o Air Conditioner) 0.00 LiterCoolant(with Air Conditioner) 10.50 LiterBrake fluid 1.00 LiterRemarks :Final drive (rear axel),Automatic transmission: lifetime oil filingWhat would be a good price for this machine? What to look for? What can you expect from a UK spec 525i SE?

If you have done your homework, you will soon come to realise most, if not all the unreg import has fake mileage. on the other hand, it is almost impossible to have an unreg import for more than 40K mileage.

If you are serious of getting a good E39. Get a CKD 2001/2002 with a good and verifiable service record. a good mileage will be 50-90K. Price 160-175K.

Good lucks.

Try to pm rx7soo, i think he got one ung E39....maybe he can get ua good deal :D Good luck

Originally posted by MONTOYA@Jul 9 2005, 02:38 PM
If you have done your homework, you will soon come to realise most, if not all the unreg import has fake mileage. on the other hand, it is almost impossible to have an unreg import for more than 40K mileage.

If you are serious of getting a good E39. Get a CKD 2001/2002 with a good and verifiable service record. a good mileage will be 50-90K. Price 160-175K.
I noticed that about the low mileage. Also read quite a bit on the common cases of tampered odometers.

So you suggest CKDs? Any good reputable places to look for this?

i just got one unreg. japan last week.
10 airbags, moonroof, 16:9TV; MODICconfirmed 51K mileage

if you are going to pay more than 180K
make sure it has also got leather seats
(most UK unreg do not have them)

u have anything in particular u'r looking for in ur e39?
m5kit?

i was infatuated with the idea of cruising around slowly
under the moonroof.

set your priorities and don't get sold

azman

Looking for a double vanos E39... more likely a 2.3l, but if lucky enough (and can stretch budget), perhaps a 2.5l. Want leather seats, sports equipment preferable. No need moon roof, or M5 kit - standard sports kit sufficient.

Bro, there is no 2.3l E39. The 523i is a detuned 2.5 engine, less bhp but same torque. I think what you mean is 523i vs 525i.

Oh, you can buy a car stock standard, since between BM5, Alvin & I, you will have more than your fair share of racun!

Lastly, I am glad you dropped the idea of a Peugeot 407. Nice to look at and cruise on a highway (120kph), but the driving pleasure is just nowhere near a bimmer straight 6 2.5 :wink:

OSf - you are correct. Yes, I meant the 523i v 525i. Not sure what the expected price differential is though. Stock standard is fine... but if can get the sports edition, then better.

Still like the 407... wonderfully sexy machine. Sadly, the acceleration on the 2.0l machine (they don't import the 2.2l) is somewhat docile -for such a hot babe.

Between the 5.23i and 5.25i, I would strongly recommend u take the 5.25i with the 192HP as the difference will surely tell when u drive...... :eek:k:

Actually, one of the things to check if the milage is actually true, is to check the thickness of the brake rotors. Front and back. Usually, if it is till the stock rotors, the wear will be about 1/2 (ie 4mm worn, 4mm to go) if it is 50 thousand KM. This item , the first owner is unlikely to change if the car is 2001 unless, the car has over 150K KMs on it.

If you have only 1-2 mm of brake rotors left, the milage is close to 80-100K km. This is a good "rule of thumb" measure.

Generally the M54 is a good and stong engine that can handle 300K kms without much problems if maintained properly.

I have reservations abut cars from Japan becuase it is known that Japanese tends to run their BMWs like crazy until the warranty runs out and then sell or export them!. This way, internal hard-wearing cannot be determined so easily. And the trouble with BMWs and all European engines is that, it can run perfectly and suddenly, one major component fails and you have a big problem in your hands. Check the conditiion of the V-belts as well. These will last and unlikely to be replaced with 50K km, so its wear characteristics can be read from the belt using a strong flash-light. Of course, you need to know, how to read the wear based on KMs. Check for small cracks or minor tears from the groves of the V-belt internal lines..

Good luck.

Originally posted by E34EuroTouring@Jul 14 2005, 05:01 PM
Actually, one of the things to check if the milage is actually true, is to check the thickness of the brake rotors. Front and back. Usually, if it is till the stock rotors, the wear will be about 1/2 (ie 4mm worn, 4mm to go) if it is 50 thousand KM. This item , the first owner is unlikely to change if the car is 2001 unless, the car has over 150K KMs on it.

If you have only 1-2 mm of brake rotors left, the milage is close to 80-100K km. This is a good "rule of thumb" measure.
G
probGenerally the M54 is a good and stong engine that can handle 300K kms without much lems if maintained properly.

I have reservations abut cars from Japan becuase it is known that Japanese tends to run their BMWs like crazy until the warranty runs out and then sell or export them!. This way, internal hard-wearing cannot be determined so easily. And the trouble with BMWs and all European engines is that, it can run perfectly and suddenly, one major component fails and you have a big problem in your hands. Check the conditiion of the V-belts as well. These will last and unlikely to be replaced with 50K km, so its wear characteristics can be read from the belt using a strong flash-light. Of course, you need to know, how to read the wear based on KMs. Check for small cracks or minor tears from the groves of the V-belt internal lines..

Good luck.
Dear sifus,

After being racun by bm5, i bought my 1st bimmer 523i 1999 but the mileage is 250km after 3 month no problem except for the abs control unit. E34touring mention about the car that less than 300k km.What if it more than 300k km, what to expect? I am doing 5k a month,should be within 10-12 month.

Kamarul,

Respect bro. I drive about 1.5k a month already think its a lot,but 5k km a month?? I say man! Really must maintain swee swee ah. If not.....later manyak problem :lol:

One other thing: the 528i CKD 2001 model - is this a double vanos? What are the specs?

Top Bottom