halogen booster

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Zee77

Club Guest
Hi guys, Anybody here heard of halogen boosters for our lights? It's supposed to increase the brightness of our head lights up to 50%.. Wonder if any member has experience with it?

No.. please tell me what it is??? How much does it cost? If 50% increase in brightness, then no need to install expensive HID... This item will sell if available in Malaysia..

Well I had those stuff in my Wira last time. Honestly, they are supposed to boost up the brightness of the headlamp but I didn't feel or see the difference. I believe it depends on the condition of your headlamps/ reflectors and even the beam alignment. The set was from Bosch if I am not mistaken, price wise I think it was about RM70... not too sure, couldn't remember. When I sold off my Wira, I didn't bother to take it out, free stuff for the next owner.

The booster should be available in any accessories shop or even workshops, just ask them on that.

Jarance, like what you've mentioned if this thing works by increasing 50% of the light brightness, people wouldn't have bought HID system. Nevertheless, I believe the booster would increase the brightness of halogen bulbs somehow or rather. :rolleyes: Perhaps a test to prove it?

Halogen bulb is basically a filament or incandescent bulb consisting of a tungsten and gas filled (usually inert gas). By apply a DC or AC current, the filament will heat up and glow. By varying the voltage, the temperature of filament will changed and hence will becomes "brighter". The inert gas will prevent the filament from burning itself out. Thomas Edison was the first person to make a practicle bulb.

A 55W bulb will have a fixed resistance. In order to increase the current flow, the voltage have to be increased. This will increased the temperature of the filament and increase the brightness which by the way is measure in Kelvin.

All the above works very well in theory but in practice, the lifespan of the bulb will decrease drastically when the operating voltage deviate from the original specification.

There are some people who increase the brightness by changing the wattage of the bulb. Normal wattage for the UDM is 55W. I have seen some guys installing 110 W bulb without upgrading the bulb connector, wire harness, fuses and power relay. They usually end up with melted headlight, burnt cable, blacken holder, battery draining and loss of car power.

jarance;282292 said:
Halogen bulb is basically a filament or incandescent bulb consisting of a tungsten and gas filled (usually inert gas). By apply a DC or AC current, the filament will heat up and glow. By varying the voltage, the temperature of filament will changed and hence will becomes "brighter". The inert gas will prevent the filament from burning itself out. Thomas Edison was the first person to make a practicle bulb.

A 55W bulb will have a fixed resistance. In order to increase the current flow, the voltage have to be increased. This will increased the temperature of the filament and increase the brightness which by the way is measure in Kelvin.

All the above works very well in theory but in practice, the lifespan of the bulb will decrease drastically when the operating voltage deviate from the original specification.

There are some people who increase the brightness by changing the wattage of the bulb. Normal wattage for the UDM is 55W. I have seen some guys installing 110 W bulb without upgrading the bulb connector, wire harness, fuses and power relay. They usually end up with melted headlight, burnt cable, blacken holder, battery draining and loss of car power.

Good write up there Jarance. Yeah, very true. To you guys out there who wish to upgrade your halogen bulbs to the 110 watt bulbs type, please do upgrade the wire harness that comes with some power relays. Without this, your fuse will definitely melt over time and the connector/ socket might also melt (speaking from personal experience). And remember to check the beam height to avoid blinding oncoming traffic.

p/s: any sifu here knows how to DIY on the headlight adjustment for E36? can guide? before I send in mine to AB for adjustment using the machine...

cheers

The standard yellow bulbs are 55W, but the all the white bulbs that I see are 100/110W. Does that mean I need to upgrade my wires/fuses and stuff too if I want to use those white halogens? (Not HID)

evilnickwong;282327 said:
The standard yellow bulbs are 55W, but the all the white bulbs that I see are 100/110W. Does that mean I need to upgrade my wires/fuses and stuff too if I want to use those white halogens? (Not HID)

Yes Nick, you need to upgrade your wire harness. Check with the shop on this matter. Not all the white bulbs come with 100/ 110W, there are also some brand that comes with 55/ 60W.

hv seen something like tht too in the local mag many month back. actually it come together with the wiring harness and connector as a package and it claim to boost up ur current bulb brightness to higher level..for older bimmer should be no problem, but for newer car, whether the car computer can accept without error tht could be an issue..

Do a google on the product "halogen booster" and found there are claim that can increased brightness from 65% to 85%... Yup selling on ebay and lowyatt.

Yup guys, I saw an advert online which is selling for around RM60.. But after reading the discussion, I reckon it doesnt really works.. It sounds too good to be true.. Anyway, how about diamond vision lights? Do we need to upgrade the entire wiring system of our headlights too?

Zee77;282764 said:
Yup guys, I saw an advert online which is selling for around RM60.. But after reading the discussion, I reckon it doesnt really works.. It sounds too good to be true.. Anyway, how about diamond vision lights? Do we need to upgrade the entire wiring system of our headlights too?

If you intend to change to Philip's Diamond Vision bulbs, then no need to change the wiring system as it is plug-n-play bulbs. As long as the bulbs are 55/60 W then it should be fine.

Goodluck

Top Bottom