Grinding Noise from Engine at High Revs

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tragic

Club Guest
Hi all...I dirve an E90 (year: 2009). I'm hearing grinding noises from the engine at high revs. It sounds like metal against metal grinding. This happens at different RPM for different gears (in manual mode). The grinding noise happens between RPM 3500 to 4500. Have not tried going beyond RPM 4500. Has anyone faced this before? Is this a usualy thing or something to worry about and get fixed?Thanks.

yeaah im experiencing this too, but in my perdana v6. I didn't know that this problem arise in a BMW too. To me this grinding noise only happen when I press the accelerator hard to the floor to get the car going from standstill.. there will be this grinding sound just before it changes to the 2nd gear at high revs.. and subsequent changes are normal. Really want to know why this happens

IsaacVky;532065 said:
engine knock?

Not engine knocking but its a nasty grinding sound like metal grinding against metal. Its not the normal engine rumbling noise that gets higher in pitch as the RPM goes up.

This is more of an engine rumbling noise that becomes a grinding noise as the RPM goes up. This happens at different RPM for different gears but no matter what gear the noise happens between 3500 to 4500 RPM.

So far I experience this in manual mode for gears 2 - 6. I've never driven the car beyond 4500 RPM nor have I driven 1st gear until 3500 RPM.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening to any BMWs at all?

I have a rough idea how engine knocking sounds like although I've never actually heard it before so its probably engine knocking as IsaacVky mentioned.

Top Bottom