Good workshop in Penang for disk skimming @ resurfacing

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Astronyu

Club Guest
Hey guys, can anyone recommend me a good workshop in either Penang or Sungai Petani that can do disk skimming?Would be great if you can go with me too and later have TT :p

I have a new disk so want to skim them. I managed to skim while in KL earlier for the front disk only due to time constraint, now need to skim the other two at rear.

SilverBullet;652533 said:
why is it dangerous?

Skimming of the disc will make it thinner. Just like tyre when the thread falls below the minimum depth, it's time to replace. In the case of disc, it's measured by the thickness of the plate. My previous Honda after skimmed for 2 times, mechanic recommended me to replace the disc for safety purpose.

Is dangerous IF done many time. The best way is to change new disc but since the disc is brand new out of box, skimming would be best choice.

Why do you need to skim a new disc? Out of the box as you say it.

Why do you need to skim a new disc? Out of the box as you say it?

@haywire, the disc is new but the car rarely being used. The mechanic suspected it was warped and ask me to skim it. Not enough time to do it in his wshop as I was on my way back to SP that day. Not so many Penang people in this forum knows where to skim so I guess I'll be driving over to Penang and ask the workshop myself. For now I just know Chu Seng and ZF Auto.

Oh right, Im from SP too u know. Which part of SP do you live in?

I'm not originally from SP.
Living in the vicinity of Lembah Bujang as of current :)

Astronyu,

If you want to skim the disc, please ensure the workshop removed the disc rotors and have them send over to a good engineering shop with proper lathe machines. Do not allow the workshop to call those guys riding on motorbike with skimming tools to skim disc rotor on-wheel.

I've never skimmed the rotor before so no experience to share. You can talk to the shops you mentioned earlier, I frequently go to ZF Auto.

Cheers

herbert;652547 said:
Astronyu,

If you want to skim the disc, please ensure the workshop removed the disc rotors and have them send over to a good engineering shop with proper lathe machines. Do not allow the workshop to call those guys riding on motorbike with skimming tools to skim disc rotor on-wheel.

Yeah I've seen a shop with lathe machine but not a BMW shop.. Close to Sg Nibong bus station, Idemitsu logo

herbert;652547 said:
Astronyu,

That's what I did back in the workshop in Kuchai Lama, my disc was removed and sent to the engineering shop. Now need to do the same thing again.

How much does it cost to skim? A new disc is approximately RM 500+ each so skimming might make some sense :)

From what I know skimming cost varies from rm40-rm100 per disc.
It make more sense to skim as the disc are new.

Top Bottom