Good and Bad of engine flush?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anaksarawak

Official Member
http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/802832_Engine_Flush_JPGd6c88a03842024c755d917356414ee4aRecently I bought a few cans of Prestone Engine Flush and wondering should I use it for my next oil change? Many international forum suggest to buy cheap TESCO engine oil RM32 per 4ltrs for flushing purpose. Your advice are really appreciated. Am using N42 engine which are known for leaks hence not keen to see any leaks after the flush.Here what I read:1. the loosened sludge, carbon and particulate will only end up in the sump to cause problems later. (It will also break down the surface tension of the oil.) 10% of the old oil remains in an engine after an oil change. That 10% is in the casting cavities and the bottom of the sump.There is only one safe flush system which automobile owners-Buy a cheap oil, run it 500 km and change the oil and filter. Do that 3 times and then go back to a good quality synthetic and use a good quality filter. 2. You need to take the oil pan off and clean all the excess sluge off, this will fix your problem with puging up your oil pump, unless it just happend to do it while your flushing your engine in the five min. another thig to stop this is to put a new oil filter on before you begin to flush, because your old filter most likely cant filter enough. Once the flush is done put another oil filter on3. Never flush an engine -- change your oil faithfully or better yet invest in synthethic oil on your changes and you won't have to think about flushing it. When you "flush" the oil, the slop (especially if your not faithful to oil changes) will go to the oil pan. It then plugs up the oil pump and starves the motor for oil until it cooks it. 4. I've read that the idea with the Pennzoil product is that it slowly dissolves the varnish and keeps the crud suspended in the oil until it can be drained. When I pulled my oil plug a few days ago, it had a wierd, semi-hardened, slurry, sludge on it which I did not expect. After I took the second photo, we pulled the head, rebuilt it, replaced the head gasket and put it back on. I'm now doing an oil flush with 5W-30 and will change the oil in a few days, back to the Pennzoil 5W-30 product with another Wix filter. As for now, the car runs fine and sounds great. 5. Recently I did my service, I gave my car a double dose of LiquiMoly Engine Detox and let it idle for about 30 mins then took for a short spin, drained the oil, replaced O-Rings in the filter cap, poured another litre of fresh oil through the system with the plug out, then re did the plug, poured another three liters of fresh oil into the engine and into filter housing and let it settle, then released, then replaced the crush washer, redid the plug to spec, replaced the filter and re filled with fresh oil

anaksarawak;809585 said:
802832_Engine_Flush_JPGd6c88a03842024c755d917356414ee4a

Recently I bought a few cans of Prestone Engine Flush and wondering should I use it for my next oil change? Many international forum suggest to buy cheap TESCO engine oil RM32 per 4ltrs for flushing purpose.

Your advice are really appreciated. Am using N42 engine which are known for leaks hence not keen to see any leaks after the flush.

Here what I read:

1. the loosened sludge, carbon and particulate will only end up in the sump to cause problems later. (It will also break down the surface tension of the oil.) 10% of the old oil remains in an engine after an oil change. That 10% is in the casting cavities and the bottom of the sump.There is only one safe flush system which automobile owners-Buy a cheap oil, run it 500 km and change the oil and filter. Do that 3 times and then go back to a good quality synthetic and use a good quality filter.

2. You need to take the oil pan off and clean all the excess sluge off, this will fix your problem with puging up your oil pump, unless it just happend to do it while your flushing your engine in the five min. another thig to stop this is to put a new oil filter on before you begin to flush, because your old filter most likely cant filter enough. Once the flush is done put another oil filter on

3. Never flush an engine -- change your oil faithfully or better yet invest in synthethic oil on your changes and you won't have to think about flushing it. When you "flush" the oil, the slop (especially if your not faithful to oil changes) will go to the oil pan. It then plugs up the oil pump and starves the motor for oil until it cooks it.

4. I've read that the idea with the Pennzoil product is that it slowly dissolves the varnish and keeps the crud suspended in the oil until it can be drained. When I pulled my oil plug a few days ago, it had a wierd, semi-hardened, slurry, sludge on it which I did not expect. After I took the second photo, we pulled the head, rebuilt it, replaced the head gasket and put it back on. I'm now doing an oil flush with 5W-30 and will change the oil in a few days, back to the Pennzoil 5W-30 product with another Wix filter. As for now, the car runs fine and sounds great.

5. Recently I did my service, I gave my car a double dose of LiquiMoly Engine Detox and let it idle for about 30 mins then took for a short spin, drained the oil, replaced O-Rings in the filter cap, poured another litre of fresh oil through the system with the plug out, then re did the plug, poured another three liters of fresh oil into the engine and into filter housing and let it settle, then released, then replaced the crush washer, redid the plug to spec, replaced the filter and re filled with fresh oil

Anaksarawak tqvm for a very good info indeed. :)

I did the number 2 the 5 min thing , well i truly agree using

a new filter would really be good.But i truly don't plan to flush the engine all the time.

I did for the baby for the first time at 90000 to be on the safe side!!! Hehehe

And plan to do next only do it at 150000...hehehe

Will it be good to flush our engine at every oil change? The oil drained from my car was so black even though its 4500km used, can it be the effect of the flush cleaning the engine?

I have tried a rather unconventional method a few years back. Using hydraulic fluid!

Drain about half of oil. Top up with hydraulic oil. Idle for 10 minutes. Drain all. You will see all the dirt/sludge. Then top up with hydraulic oil only. Idle the engine with close eye on the temp. I did for 15 mins. I repeated till i finished all the 18 litres of hydraulic oil.

Result..... Amazing!

Reason why i chose hydraulic oil? The nascar blokes showed me the secret.. And since hydraulic oil does not contains sulfur.. Therefore it cant coke-up n build sludge..

Best flush i had ever. The new oil actually stays clean n golden color till i drain it after 5000 kms.

Just my experience.

Top Bottom