Garmin Mobile

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

buzzlie

Club Guest
Recently went around looking for new handphone. Was told that the new Nokia E72 can have Garmin Mobile installed in it. Anybody tried this with Nokia or any other brand? How is it?

garmin mobile I presume is Garmin XT.. it works great on my fon.. E90.. A treasure to have just in case u need it as your phone is always with u..

salam

garmin xt software can be installed to many brands, not limited to nokie e72. go for a bigger screen phone eg omnia 2, i-phone 3gs for clearer graphics. btw if your phone frequently rings, guess u shud go a separate gps gadget.

Yes , get a separate one solely for GPS but still get the Garmin XT for convenience purposes. U never know when U might need it. I already have 1 but I m getting another one which is the Garmin 765 which suits me as it has bluetooth ( I can use it to connect to my fon and use it as a handsfree) and it has FM transmitter so I can output the sound thru the car audio (better than not having the OPTION). It has quite a lot of features. Check it out on garmin website. Would anyone be interested in a GROUP BUY so we can get it cheaper? I can initiate it.

1- NazriE

elwine30;517296 said:
Yes, have the Garmin XT on my N97. Works like a charm.

New Ovi map on the Nokia, free download from Nokia for most phones less than 2 years old with GPS, is very good. Try it and see.

elwine30;517296 said:
Yes, have the Garmin XT on my N97. Works like a charm.

yes i have XT on my 97mini, nice wt the big screen and all... but the phone itself HANGS the fcuk out of me..now gone in foe warranty claim for the 2nd time... how is ur 97 bro?

Thanks guys and not to forget Mr Prez. So in short ... I shud go for it lah. The only setback that I was told ... makan bateri.

Better have car charger if intend to use it in phone - otherwise, cannot make emergency calls when battery drained out.

macdaque;517547 said:
Better have car charger if intend to use it in phone - otherwise, cannot make emergency calls when battery drained out.

yep.. and XT is pretty cheap.. i heard u can get for RM30-40 now.. i suggest to have it for unexpected usage..

nazrie;517254 said:
Yes , get a separate one solely for GPS but still get the Garmin XT for convenience purposes. U never know when U might need it. I already have 1 but I m getting another one which is the Garmin 765 which suits me as it has bluetooth ( I can use it to connect to my fon and use it as a handsfree) and it has FM transmitter so I can output the sound thru the car audio (better than not having the OPTION). It has quite a lot of features. Check it out on garmin website. Would anyone be interested in a GROUP BUY so we can get it cheaper? I can initiate it.

1- NazriE

:listen: compatible to Blackberry Mr Prez? If so, count me in :biggrin:

i should think so, it is just normal bluetooth connection.. but lemme try tonite my BB storm to my garmin zumo 550 and see... so far , with my Nokia E90 very good.. can dial from the garmin unit itself and caller id pops up as well.. but my zumo no fm transmitter . The cheapest quote I got for Garmin 765 is rm 979... with one year warranty one to one exchange.. if we have the numbers will try to get it cheaper and/OR loads of maps for other countries .. like US , Europe ,JAKARTA:wink: etc..so that we can use when touring... got numbers then got bargaining power lah...
I bought recently a garmin nuvi 205 in US for RM300 for a fren(only US map inside).. but now dono how to upload malfreemaps coz I am using MAC..anyone got any idea..? i ve tried so many times...any sifu here..

It seems like a common thing with N97 eh. It hangs but not that often. But it's irritating sometimes. That's why I want to sell.

sachseelan;517442 said:
yes i have XT on my 97mini, nice wt the big screen and all... but the phone itself HANGS the fcuk out of me..now gone in foe warranty claim for the 2nd time... how is ur 97 bro?

:21:IN the nokia e90 it works well ,nokia e90 inside the UDM E90 works even better :D that's why I bought the e90..so I can put the e90 inside the e60 :21::21: that's the answer to the riddle "how to fit an e90 INTO an e60?"

like I told ya' ..with me, everything must be connected to BMW waaaaaaan.. why I became pilot ? because BMW inspired me with the roundel :D so when I flew the single engine prop aircraft , I can always visualise the roundle :D why bought Nokia e90? because got bmw code "e90" :))

nazrie;517630 said:
:21:IN the nokia e90 it works well ,nokia e90 inside the UDM E90 works even better :D that's why I bought the e90..so I can put the e90 inside the e60 :21::21: that's the answer to the riddle "how to fit an e90 INTO an e60?"

:top::top::top: ......

I got it oledi. Frankly, I dont think so this shud be only as backup GPS. I think I'll just stick to this as my main. For almost full day use, I still got nearly 1/2 battery left ... this is more than enough for me.

Now the term 'sesat' is considered history for me, hahahaaaa.

I heard that GPS requires us to download latest map every now & then. Is it applicable to this Garmin Mobile too?

buzzlie;518504 said:
I heard that GPS requires us to download latest map every now & then. Is it applicable to this Garmin Mobile too?

The roads and its surroundings changes everyday. New road are opened, existing roads are changed and points of interest mushroom almost everyday. Map producers spend a huge amount of resources to ensure that their maps are up-to-date. Each of these updates are released for the Users to update their maps in their Personal Navigation Device (or GPS). Map updates are not downloaded via the GPS signals during use. When the new maps updates are released and you can download it using and internet connection and a computer. the map is then placed in the memory of the device. Once done, you can use your GPS without the need of an internet connection. Making the map resident in your device also significantly improves navigational function and performance. This mode is applicable to ALL GPS and Navigation devices and applications including Garmin Mobile XT.

P.S. Some maps are free some are not. Garmin map updates are approx USD99 each. This annuity revenue is the business model of map producers.

However, Google map/navigation stores their map in their central DB and when you use it, you utilize your internet connection to download the map of your locale into your temporary memory. So every time you use it, you are accessing the latest map. On the downside, this approach will also delete the map every time you stop Googlemap. You need to have internet connection active during the entire time you are using Googlemaps thus incurring charges. The performance of your internet connection also impacts the performance of Googlemap.

Top Bottom