Front windshield rubber

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

alxy

Club Guest
Hi bros,My front windshield rubber is cracking up and small pieces are starting to come out. Just wondering if has changed theirs before? How much would it cost and is it considered a major job (i.e. more than half day)? I changed my rear ones some time back and was a simple job not more than 1 hour.Thanks!

I think I can learn to join you slowly.

Can't help cause I never changed it before but how much did it cost to repair the back ones as mentioned?

That one did few years back. Think in 2010. Was RM180 if I remembered correctly. But I think now may be cheaper.

alxy;739504 said:
That one did few years back. Think in 2010. Was RM180 if I remembered correctly. But I think now may be cheaper.

so cheap? only rm180? i changed mine, earlier this year.. cost me about 300+..

alxy;739504 said:

Mine sharing where did you change it? Wanted to change mine too

Which rubber is this? The one at the side of the windscreen you mean?

I changed my front top windshield rubber and rear top & side total cost me rm550..

aoch88;739846 said:
Which rubber is this? The one at the side of the windscreen you mean?

Yes, the one which frames the windscreen at the side. Mine is Jap spec, which means the rubber is not "tropical" edition, so cracks easily.

bro, sorry tumpang thread.

I heard from Auto Bavaria that it costs a lot because if they remove the rubber, they might break the glass, so they will have to change the whole glass also. That's a lot of bull.

alxy, how's the rubber so far? Do you think MSpeed also offer "tropical" edition rubber?

btw, I'm talking about for the back screen.

MSpeed does provide for the back. So far so good, though the lower part (covered by the boot) is cracking a bit now. But Ah Meng did say changing the front is much more complex than the back. Will ask him again next time I see him.

bavarian auto quote me RM115 for the rear rubber. I need to check it out how much the mechanic will charge me

Just spke to Ah Meng MSpeed. He said will be RM100 for the rear rubber bottom part only. For front, he did confirm that there is possibility of windshield cracking during the process. Will see him this Thursday to replace rear bottom rubber and ask him again about this.

Hmmm...I just realised I am not in the same page as you all about this cause I tot you meant the rear rubber surrounding the whole back glass. From what you say above Alxy, this is not the case? I don't think the rubber I am mentioning can be replaced in 4 parts (top, bottom, left, right) :). I can only assume you are talking about the rubber nearer towards the boot area....

alxy;740643 said:
Just spke to Ah Meng MSpeed. He said will be RM100 for the rear rubber bottom part only. For front, he did confirm that there is possibility of windshield cracking during the process. Will see him this Thursday to replace rear bottom rubber and ask him again about this.
So there is possibility of windshield cracking? Same case for the back?
I thought it was a myth...

desbimmer;740644 said:
Hmmm...I just realised I am not in the same page as you all about this cause I tot you meant the rear rubber surrounding the whole back glass. From what you say above Alxy, this is not the case? I don't think the rubber I am mentioning can be replaced in 4 parts (top, bottom, left, right) :). I can only assume you are talking about the rubber nearer towards the boot area....
I also thought it was one whole rubber piece. I will probably upload a picture to clarify.

Far as I can tell there are 2 pieces. One which frames the top, left and right and another which is the bottom part. Anyway, will know for sure later when I replace it :)

wjie20;740648 said:
So there is possibility of windshield cracking? Same case for the back?
I thought it was a myth...

No, just for the front. The back is a simple job, like maybe 30 mins only.

Just changed. Yes, confirmed it is 2 pieces for the rear windshield rubber. One for the top, left and right and another for the bottom. I changed the bottom one for RM100. Took about 10 minutes only.

For the front, Ah Meng confirmed it will be risky as the rubber is designed in such a way that to remove and put in a new one would involve stressing the windshield such that it might crack. He advised to do it after I got windshield insurance to be safe. So now, 2 questions:

1. Does windshield insurance cover such events, i.e. cracked while changing rubber?
2. Anyone know if there is some silicon or rubber tape that can be bought to just cover over the cracked pieces? I might choose this simplest route as Ah Meng said the windshield won't leak, just that it looks ugly with the pieces cracked here and there.

Hi alxy, at RM100 for bottom piece, is that the non tropicalized version?

To your question, last time we had a stone cracking the front windscreen, we had to pay more than 4k. That includes insurance. If I am not mistaken, we couldn't claim full insurance. That's just our experience though. Hope it's useful.

Top Bottom