From A : AM I BEING PLAYED????

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.

DingChavez

Club Guest
Dear members, I am posting the story of a guy named A as a reminder that some "friends" may turn around and leave you dying by the roadside. **********Story of AA has an old car. The car was once abandoned but A has toiled and got the car roadworthy again. Although it looks like crap, the car's mechanical was sound and he took the car for long distance drives regularly. Sadly he has to sell the car it is a 2 door and A has a family. The family has simply outgrown the car. B is a young guy who test drove A's car. A warned B to take it easy. B drove the car. Coming to a U-turn, B down-shifted to 2nd and gunned the throttle making the car go into oversteer. B failed to control it and slammed into the curb on the right-hand side. The damage was extensive. The obvious damange was broken exhaust and the bent rim. Also the front right strut and fender was thrown out of alignment and the lower arm was bent. The worse damage though, was the chassis which was bent. Furthermore, the lower control arm bush was torn together with part of the chassis railing from the main chassis. Since the chassis is bent, the engine and gearbox is also misaligned. B called his brother BB for help. BB said to a that he will settle this issue and told A not to worry. BB's friend, BC offered to send it to his friend's workshop as it is close by. A has no issues as he believes that BB will do the right thing. A and his good friend SS went the next day to the workshop to document the damage and to take pictures of the damage. A and SS also talked to the workshop man in regards to damage. The workshop guy said for the chassis works, he will send it to another guy who does this kind of things After 2 weeks BC called A to tell that A's car is ready. BC also said that the rim and exhaust is not done yet and BC advised for A to get it done and claim the repair amount from BB. A agreed. To A's dismay, the only repair job that was done to his car was the torn chassis was welded back to his railing and covered with a plate. All other chassis damage, not to mention the mechanicals, was not even repaired. BC and BB called A thru the phone and adviced that the repair job was the best that they can do as the chassis was rusted and the car was in a very bad condition. A called BC's mechanic to check out the repair cost, which was rm700. A was not happy. A took his car to a trusted chassis repair guy to check out the damage. The chassis repair guy said the repair was shoddy and the amount needed to repair it correctly - including all mechanical damage - was rm5K. The mechanic also confirmed that the chassis is not rusting and the damage was from the impact. A went to see B to get a proper resolution to this issue. A suggested to B 2 choices, either buy the car off A, or pay the proper amount to get A's car repaired properly. B said he will think about it. The talks lasted for 3 weeks until on one encounter BB told A that he thinks it's unfair for him to pay for the repair as A's car is in a bad shape already. A said it's not fair for B to crash A's car. It is B's responsibility to repair it correctly. BB adv that he is not willing to pay rm5K for the car's repair. When A asked BB what he suggested to resolve the issue, BB answered "as friends" he is willing to give A rm500 in addition to the rim and exhaust claim to settle the issue. A accepted the claim amount but refused the rm500 as he feels it's an insult to him. One week after the final meeting A called B to see if he is willing to continue negotiations in regards a proper and fair settlement, B said he will need to speak to BB. A told B to get back to him the next day by 3pm, failing to do so, A will consider that B has no interest to negotiate on the matter. No reply from B was heard henceforth. Now it has been 1 month 3 weeks since the accident occured. B is enjoying his life while A is driving his family around in an unsafe, unroadworthy car. A has no choice because that's his only car.******Please post on what you think. If you think A is stupid for being so nice and considerate when B is clearly playing him out, I would agree with you. You guys may also give some sugesstion to A. I'll make sure I pass the message along. Oh just for your info, the workshop that "repaired" A's chassis is actually a body paint shop. They are not qualified to repair the chassis and do not have the equipment to do so. in fact, that shop has no chassis jigs, hoist nor hydraulic jacks that i can see when i visited the shop. No wonder the repairs cost "only" rm700.:eek:

Al I can say is...I pity you.

oops...!
I pity "A"

A 50%, B 50% habis cerita. B too must be fair! but A patut suggest sent the car to the right place, where he's comfortable with, instead of letting BB get BC to handle the job! aku rasa B ni baru belajar nak bawa kreta!

A is willing to negotiate a fair settlement if B and BB is willing to negotiate and not insult him with a rm500 "compensation".

Ding,

I wouldn't term it as an "insult". Make it this way, get A to negotiate in a nice & compasionate manner. Try getting some empathy as to what A is facing now.

Generally, no one wants to take the shit, right? If you can get a proper medium, that would be excellent. If A got only A, then a mutual peaceful fruitful solution get you must!

I believe Mr. A has consulted many individuals on this matter and has received much advise on how to go about this. And since the ultimatum that Mr. A gave to Mr. B has passed, i hope you will tell your friend (Mr. A) stop flapping around seek some sort of legal recourse already.

Ding,

Just tell A, don't be friended with B and keep the whole thing aside. Enjoy his life and be very very very carefull next time when he choose friends that he trust cause A wouldn't get anything except an insult from B.

Just my 2 cents

Ding,

Sorry to hear man..... I think the 50%-50% share is best solution and yes, being angry and confrontational wun help anything - least of all the friendship which A can consider "burned".

Perhaps a good MUTUAL friend of A & B can help bring all on one table to talk properly. And do it once and for all and close the chapter.

Sad rite, lose friends cos of cars.

The moral of this story is "If you bend, you repair" so do be careful when u drive other friend's car.....

i think 50/50 would be the way to go its not exactly fair but since when is life ever fair...so you compromise.

DingChavez said:
A is willing to negotiate a fair settlement if B and BB is willing to negotiate and not insult him with a rm500 "compensation".

what kind of fair settlement that u expect? care to explain?

u hv to remember that

1) ur car is an old car - as mentioned by you. So, i assume that there must be rust here and there and the chasis is not that good anymore and correct me if i am wrong, the repair job to get the chasis to perfect condition is almost impossible if the rust is too much.

2) when u gave that young punk to test drove the car, u hv to accept the fact that u r responsible for anything happen to that car. Thats the risk that u have to take. or if u r not willing to take the risk, dont offer the young punk to test drive the car in the first place.

BUT

As a friend and for a win win solution, its nothing wrong to get a fair settlement. U hv to agree with me, when this kind of thing happen, we tend to be "opportunist" rather than "reasonable" to get things settled.

just my 2 cents......

Hi All,

I may be too late but why didn't they make an insurance claims??? Then B pay for the excess and betterment. A will lose his NCB and live with a "damaged" car. So both losese something. Is a LOSE LOSE situation which can be WIN WIN is viewed from a different angle.

Dun have to say much..i think i agree to what zamtresco has to say..dont be an "apportunist" be reasonable...and have a pleasant evening..sa wa di krap

I am gonna try and be as trim as possible and hopefully you would understand what i am trying to say.

what kind of fair settlement that u expect? care to explain?

u hv to remember that

Do you read what you write ??

1) ur car is an old car - as mentioned by you. So, i assume that there must be rust here and there and the chasis is not that good anymore and correct me if i am wrong, the repair job to get the chasis to perfect condition is almost impossible if the rust is too much.

Theres nothing impossible about getting the car fixed, its just impossible to get people to understand the term " If You Dent It, You Mend It " I think a RM 500 settlement is pure insult. Even a 50/50 settlement isnt fair, but like what saint XXX said life aint fair. Ding I think to opt for a 50/50 settlement seems to be the fairest bet

2) when u gave that young punk to test drove the car, u hv to accept the fact that u r responsible for anything happen to that car. Thats the risk that u have to take. or if u r not willing to take the risk, dont offer the young punk to test drive the car in the first place.

How ? How ? How ? did you you figure that it was Dings fault. You mean I could actually borrow your ride and drive if of a cliff and later invite you out for a beer in the evening to offer you pocket change for the wreck that was once your car ? I think the young punk should realise that if you're driving someone elses car, he should drive it with more caution, not 'DRIFT' it.

BUT

As a friend and for a win win solution, its nothing wrong to get a fair settlement. U hv to agree with me, when this kind of thing happen, we tend to be "opportunist" rather than "reasonable" to get things settled.

Define reasonable. Would you call RM 500 a reasonable settlement ?

This kind of thing does happen yes and a reasonable solution must be met. I think thats why a 50/50 settlement is fair. Now unless of course the total bill is RM 1000, then I think a RM 500 settlement would be fair.

Ding - A settlement does not mean you can go Pimp your ride up. It should just simply mean getting your car back on the road in the condition it was before the accident.

Ding, Mr.A let Mr.B test the car with the understanting that Mr.B had intentions to buy the said car. Now if you wanted to buy a car, agreed with a price and then decided to test drive it and subsequently crashed it, shouldn't it be 'Once Broken considered Sold' ?

Dear Sith....

1) Theres nothing impossible about getting the car fixed, its just impossible to get people to understand the term " If You Dent It, You Mend It "...... Bro, the car is fixed but apparently not up to A's expectation. Remember, the car is old and i heard rust is everywhere and I think to get it to perfect conditon is impossible

2) How ? How ? How ? did you you figure that it was Dings fault. You mean I could actually borrow your ride and drive if of a cliff and later invite you out for a beer in the evening to offer you pocket change for the wreck that was once your car ? I think the young punk should realise that if you're driving someone elses car, he should drive it with more caution, not 'DRIFT' it.

Errr... for me very simple why in the first place u allowed that young punk to drive the car?? its like a dumber allowing a dumb to drive ur car. and me?? i never let anybody else to drive my car. Its the risk that i dont want to take

3) Define reasonable.

OPPORTUNIST.

B is a petrol kiosk owner. A went to B's petrol station. Apparently the forecourt crew accidently filled diesel in A's car. A send it to workshop. Drain the diesel out and in the same time change the throttle body and fuel injector at B's cost. This is opportunist

REASONABLE

B is a petrol kiosk owner. A went to B's petrol station. Apparently the forecourt crew accidently filled diesel in A's car. A send it to workshop. Drain the diesel out at B's cost and in the same time change the throttle body and fuel injector at A's cost or 50 50. This is reasonable.

And my fren. I only give a general statement and i didnt mention about the RM 500. If u ask me, RM 500 for exhaust and gearbox misaligned job is more than enough.

Dear Zam,

You just confirmed what I said. Yes a 50/50 settlement does make huge sense. Get the cost of the whole repair job and then split the bill by half. I didnt say a makeover, I said repairs. If the 2 parties and the young punks mates does not know how to handle this like adults, then get advice and help from the others here.

For starters... Did the accident only cause damage to the exhaust and gearbox ? You mean to say theres no other damage ? How sure are you that to align those two items is only RM 500...

An interesting situation which I think most of us wouldn't like to be in.

Let me recap, B drove A's car, crashed it. So theorectically, B should be paying for the damage repairs. However, based on the story, seemed like B isn't willing to pay for the damages proper.

I don't know whether I know A, B, BB or BC, but to look at the case objectively, I agree with what Sith said : "If You Dent It, You Mend It". Much like those signage at the departmental stores "Nice to see, nice to touch, once broken considered sold". And whether A's car is old or not isn't the main issue, even a new car would have similar damages if driven into a curb. And it would cost more to repair a new car.. The case here is: B crashed the car while driving it and he crashed not bcos he tried to avoid a pot hole or a cat or mat rempit. But he crashed while executing an oversteering manouvre in a car he wasn't familiar with. Technically, that's an offence called reckless driving.

I pity A's situation as I wouldn't want to be in A's shoes. Certainly RM500 will not be able to go far in repair collision damage but to get RM5000 for the repair seem to be a lot too. but looking at the list of damages, it may not be too far off. If any of you know a good and reasonable body repair shop, I guess A and B would appreciate it if u can refer to them. Then both party can get a quote which they are agreeable to.

I do hope that A get it done soon with B, the damages if left unrepaired soon will not get better with time, it'll get worse.

Let it be served as a reminder that we should drive safe, in our own car and more so if it's not our own.

zaskar said:
Ding, Mr.A let Mr.B test the car with the understanting that Mr.B had intentions to buy the said car. Now if you wanted to buy a car, agreed with a price and then decided to test drive it and subsequently crashed it, shouldn't it be 'Once Broken considered Sold' ?

Thank you !!! It seems to be a problem for many to understand that simple rule of thumb !!!!

Why dont u post the name of B, so that i will at least know not to let him test drive my car.As far as i am concerned, B shd pay for the repairs, all of it.But its human nature to get out of having to pay for anything, so we can't blame him. We can only avoid him. So who is he???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom