Feeler - Cost of a used rear axle

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

M30revival

Club Guest
Has anyone purchased a 2nd hand rear axle for E23 before? Would like to find out how much is the price range from local junk yard. Don't want to pay a bomb if I can get it at a reasonable rate. Actually, for those who has purchase 2nd hand E30/E28 rear axle, could you share your experience as well? I know the junk yard at PNDC has some rear axle for E23 but has anyone else seen it in other junk yard? TIA.

many many moons ago, I remember you purchased 1 b4?

but then again, it was for a e36?

I got a used 3.65 rear diff for e23. I used it on my car then I realised that the pick up didn't justify the highway consumption so I put my old 3.45 back on. If anyones inetersted let me know. I'm looking at around RM500.

Mazin aka whl

Originally posted by whl@Jan 20 2006, 11:18 AM
I got a used 3.65 rear diff for e23. I used it on my car then I realised that the pick up didn't justify the highway consumption so I put my old 3.45 back on. If anyones inetersted let me know. I'm looking at around RM500.

Mazin aka whl
I checkd mine it is confirmed 3.64. Hmm, whl, are you sure your is 3.65?

I think 728i needs 3.64 or higher so that it will have better pickup. Mine is auto so 3.45 or lower will not suit me lah.

Hmm, we need to meet one day lah. E23_728 have been talking about the 3 of us meeting up but never really become a reality. If we meet, bring your rear axle for me to view?

Originally posted by jeffreyewe@Jan 19 2006, 01:13 AM
many many moons ago, I remember you purchased 1 b4?

but then again, it was for a e36?
Yeah, you remember hah. That is many many many moons ago. hehehe.

Actually that was also a 3.64 woh. And it provide better pickup for that car. A good investment then. I just want to get a feel of the price now. Looks like it is around RM500 for now. Let poke around more to see if I can get better offer.

Maybe taikor Zoggee can get one at lower price. Hmm, I think time to visit PNDC one of these day.

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jan 20 2006, 11:53 AM
Maybe taikor Zoggee can get one at lower price. Hmm, I think time to visit PNDC one of these day.

I'll help if you show up....!! :D
Just make sure got no LSD, if not kena tambah another 1k.......... :D

Mazin aka whl

Hi M30revival...your E23 is still going strong. However there is a klunk sound from the rear axle when slowing down sometimes. I just drove to Ipoh and at about 120kmh, if I accelerate, the klunk happens with a slight judder.
Is that dangerous? Will I need to change the rear axle or just service it? Thanks!

could be the rear axle, but check the tuning first. My car(manual) had the problem b4 and after tuning it managed to lessen the problem

If your tuning is too rich or lean the throttle response can be very sharp(sudden) so it will cause ur propshaft to change speeds unnaturally(not gradually) and that sudden change causes the knocking sound(probably)

Mazin aka whl

Top Bottom