exhaust crack

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ludavic

Club Guest
Is it a norm for the e30 to have a crack in exhaust just at the exhaust manifold?

Advice needed : I have already had it welded once already and now its leaking again ... should i weld it again or should i just change the whole manifold?

If got budget .....Just change the new one......But u can always consult the tukang ezoks either the thing can be fitted or not......

is your engine running lean? running it lean will cause hotter exhaust and that may lead to cracked exhaust.

Try to get new exhaust, or better still, upgrade to better extractor.. ;)

how much is an extractor (a rough idea)? i heard u can't get a well made one here locally. Anyway mine is m20 ... how much can u squeeze from the old 12 valve without spending a bomb :)

rough idea pricing for 2nd hand manifold?

not much at all to squeeze from the m20 if you are not spending money. By the way, dont feel bad, i have that crack to, have to send my car in for welding and retune the engine as i think it's running lean.

manifold are cast iron items....can weld? dun think will last. cheaper if u just buy from kedai potong an old manifold. If u want performance, go ask calvin tan....he sells them. RM1000+

btw, get this fix fast as hot gas leaking with fuel hoses running nearby guarantees FIRE!!!!! dun say I no warn u!

ludavic said:
how much is an extractor (a rough idea)? i heard u can't get a well made one here locally. Anyway mine is m20 ... how much can u squeeze from the old 12 valve without spending a bomb :)

rough idea pricing for 2nd hand manifold?

Oh yes! You can squeeze it and she will scream like a monster...

guys,

before looking into the engine running condition i.e. running lean with loads of temperature, perhaps we should look at how the manifolds are fitted..try to use a section of flexible pipe under each manifold exit, this will help the exhaust system to flex especially during our acceleration..engine does move abit when we rev it up..tht's usually causing the crack...my 2 cents though..cheers:) ..of course, running lean is also a factor getting the manifold hot and easier to crack...

solved

Hi all,

thanks for your replies. I got it fix already at an exhaust place. Not the manifold. It seems the last owner changed the pipes from the manifold to the center box to non-original one that didn't follow the original contours. Therefore it was much lower and nearer to the ground therefore it was kissing the ground everytime i went over a bump.

He spot welded the whole exhaust and now it purrs ... thanks again.

:D:D:D - happiness

In conclusion, get your terminology right before asking for help or opinions. Told u it only happens to your ride and yours alone.

Jules, nxt time 'shout' louder.......some individuals are just plain stubborn and expect to be spoon fed.

i think the threadstarter has solve his problem. Care to share with us what was the original problem and what you have done to solve it for everyone knowledge. :)

Top Bottom