engine stalls right after starting

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

huskar3399

Club Guest
Dear all, i faced this issue for the first time and it happened on my way to work this morning. i managed to crank and fire up the engine but after one or two seconds the engine will suddenly stall. it's weird because last night it was all ok on my way back from penang to kl. the car is now at the roadside waiting for me to return and do the diagnostic check.anybody had the same problem before and what seems to be the culprit? many thanks.

I have once experienced a stall when looking for parking but it was only a one-off occurence. Never happened again. Based on my reading, most of the cases points to the crankshaft sensor as the culprit. Not sure if that may be the cause in your case.

wingzee;815349 said:
I have once experienced a stall when looking for parking but it was only a one-off occurence. Never happened again. Based on my reading, most of the cases points to the crankshaft sensor as the culprit. Not sure if that may be the cause in your case.
thanks bro. i tried google and majority say it's the camshaft sensor has problem. next in the line is the o2 sensors. since i have replaced both of my pre cat o2 sensors this time i'll try my luck with the camshaft sensors. just to confirm u mean "crank" or "cam" sensors? or they are the same?

I have this problem & my car stay in workshop for a months. Try to swap all related sensor mention above, check all wiring & the finding is grounding issue. Voltage was too low & car die after 1 sec after crank.

BMW520;815357 said:
I have this problem & my car stay in workshop for a months. Try to swap all related sensor mention above, check all wiring & the finding is grounding issue. Voltage was too low & car die after 1 sec after crank.
u mean the culprit in the end is the grounding? thanks bro.

It is grouding issue. It showned fuel pump voltage is low. If direct contact the battery then can start.

huskar3399;815358 said:
u mean the culprit in the end is the grounding? thanks bro.

bro...ini kena cucuk dan lihat.....diag chk is best...most likely crank position sensor....got 1 only

if cam pos sensor...sinlgle vanos got 1 but m54 got 2 biji lar if not mistaken...

cucuk first so you dont waste money and time....

can DIY...as I did...but maybe by roadside kenot lar....dangerous lor....

moots;815412 said:
bro...ini kena cucuk dan lihat.....diag chk is best...most likely crank position sensor....got 1 only

if cam pos sensor...sinlgle vanos got 1 but m54 got 2 biji lar if not mistaken...

So normally have to change both sensors together for Double Vanos? Like this?

http://www.bmaparts.com/ShopByVehic...nsor@@Engine+Camshaft+Position+Sensor&mode=PA

Herbert;815379 said:
It is the camshaft sensors.

The reason why I suspect it is the camshaft sensors is because 2 years ago on the way back from Penang, one of our OM e38 728i M54 engine developed the same symptom i.e. can start the engine but engine stalled after less than 1 minute.

Herbert;815426 said:
The reason why I suspect it is the camshaft sensors is because 2 years ago on the way back from Penang, one of our OM e38 728i M54 engine developed the same symptom i.e. can start the engine but engine stalled after less than 1 minute.
My experience, when camshaft sensor starts to fail, the crankshaft sensor comes next...or vice versa...i changed both sensors..no more issue

moots;815412 said:

thanks. i did try start the car again yesterday but this time it could only crank and engine did not fire up like it was before for one second. i did the diagnostic using my bmw scanner 1.4 and under DME i found new error called something like fuel system/delivery. unfortunately i forgot to make screen dump before i cleared the error. haih my bad. based on the error i suspect it has something to do with fuel system maybe the pump or the filter. bro if the cam ps has problem, how the dtc will appear?

wingzee;815425 said:
So normally have to change both sensors together for Double Vanos? Like this?

http://www.bmaparts.com/ShopByVehic...nsor@@Engine+Camshaft+Position+Sensor&mode=PA
the website u shared is quite comprehensive. i saved it for my future reference.

Herbert;815426 said:
thanks. one minute seems like too long for me. in my case, the engine stalled after a second. but now the car can only crank but no fire. the next reason why i guess it's the pump or filter is because 2 refuels back i did pour a bottle of injector cleaner into my tank and maybe the cleaner managed to clean something in the tank and clogged either one of the pump or filter.

JFT63;815493 said:
My experience, when camshaft sensor starts to fail, the crankshaft sensor comes next...or vice versa...i changed both sensors..no more issue
bro if the crankshaft sensor has problem, what will be the symptom? thanks.

huskar3399;815502 said:
bro if the crankshaft sensor has problem, what will be the symptom? thanks.

The engine cranks but difficult to start....

i would second fuel pump unit issue as engine stalled within seconds and will never kick off further when you forced kick (eventho with current less than half tank fuel)... the fuel pump could not activate to deliver the actual fuel pressure to the distanced fuel rails.. in addition, since the fuel pump is UN-noticeable weak, the fuel pump might overstressed from the previous trip with low fuel level... hope this may help

huskar3399;815501 said:
thanks. i did try start the car again yesterday but this time it could only crank and engine did not fire up like it was before for one second. i did the diagnostic using my bmw scanner 1.4 and under DME i found new error called something like fuel system/delivery. unfortunately i forgot to make screen dump before i cleared the error. haih my bad. based on the error i suspect it has something to do with fuel system maybe the pump or the filter. bro if the cam ps has problem, how the dtc will appear?

the website u shared is quite comprehensive. i saved it for my future reference.

thanks. one minute seems like too long for me. in my case, the engine stalled after a second. but now the car can only crank but no fire. the next reason why i guess it's the pump or filter is because 2 refuels back i did pour a bottle of injector cleaner into my tank and maybe the cleaner managed to clean something in the tank and clogged either one of the pump or filter.

Bro, if you go in the BMW Scanner folder in your laptop, you will see the error logged in a text file. Every time you scan the car it will auto save to that location. No need screen dump.

haywire;815659 said:
Bro, if you go in the BMW Scanner folder in your laptop, you will see the error logged in a text file. Every time you scan the car it will auto save to that location. No need screen dump.
thanks for the tips. i did check folder and indeed the logs are there. so below are the errors logged. the red colored texts are the errors that cause the engine to stall. other errors are always there. i am still trying to figure out what causes them.

# ERRORS DETAILS - DTC(hex)/PARAM(hex)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DME -> E4/B1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation rich
E3/B1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation rich
CB/B9 - Oxygen sensor control, bank 2, control limit, mixture limit rich, low fuel level signal, active during fault entry
CA/B9 - Oxygen sensor control, bank 1, control limit, mixture limit rich, low fuel level signal, active during fault entry
Shadow-memory:
E4/B1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 2, deviation too great, deviation rich
E3/B1 - Oxygen sensor controller, bank 1, deviation too great, deviation rich
CB/B9 - Oxygen sensor control, bank 2, control limit, mixture limit rich, low fuel level signal, active during fault entry
CA/B9 - Oxygen sensor control, bank 1, control limit, mixture limit rich, low fuel level signal, active during fault entry
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
85/08 - Signal, CAN ASC 3, timeout elapsed

It happened to me once..the culprit was the floats changed them n problem gone..

Top Bottom