engine oil level

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wanfalah

Club Guest
Need info from sifus..a.What's the ideal level of engine oil ( from min-max of the dip stik )?b.For my ride (e36 325), how much litres does it actually need?:confused: tq in advance..

wanfalah said:
Need info from sifus..
a.What's the ideal level of engine oil ( from min-max of the dip stik )?
b.For my ride (e36 325), how much litres does it actually need?:confused:
tq in advance..
not sure how much the quantity for your ride, but do not overfill your engine oil more than the max level n do not allow it to drop below min level, hence the best is keeping near the max but not over. there is a reason for this and check below link
http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=541

I just changed my E30 M40 engine oil yesterday, and my mech poured 4.5 liter instead of 4 liter (as normal practice), when I asked him why, he said memang kena taruk lebih sikit...it's not normal I think, and I wonder why...
Could sifus out there shed some light on this?

your dipstick will tell u the best answer if he overfill it, if he does, depending on u, i will suck it out with a tube inserted into the dipstick hole

I poured in just a bit more engine oil to my E46 & I feel the power loss. I would say just top up to midway betweem min & max..

did u guys notice early in the morning your engine oil will drop coz its cold and after driving and the engine is hot the oil level will increase because the oil expand (that is the charateristic of engine oil if i am not mistaken) just like stone, woods, etc. the way to determine the correct level of your engine oil is around 15-30 minute after shutting off your engine (most of site recommend this procedure). during this time, i believe the oil on the dipstick should be in the centre line between your min and max. while it should drop slightly abit below the center line after 8 hours of leaving idle. (that is the best engine oil level for me) what u guys think?

oil should not expand as you said cos otherwise we wun use oil ( albeit of a slightly different type ) for brake hyrdraulic systems or control systems ( ie, clutch ) since any expansion will create havoc on the engagement and control.

best time to take oil level? stone cold.

best level to keep, rite on the top mark.

why u dun overfill? this creates foaming possibilities which is bad for ur engine cos it runs the risk of sucking foam instead of oil......

U may have a different opinion but that' what I learnt and practise.

Jules said:
best time to take oil level? stone cold.

best level to keep, rite on the top mark.

why u dun overfill? this creates foaming possibilities which is bad for ur engine cos it runs the risk of sucking foam instead of oil...... .

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!

Check oil level when engine cold.

Ensure level at 'F' mark.

And dont lose sleep if the level is a wee-bit above 'F' mark (more worrying if level below 'L' mark). This happens when the mechanic changes oil and filter and checks level when engine warm/hot. Next day engine cold when you check level, it will be usually a little above 'F' mark.

The 'L' is more worrying than the 'F' ...... if you remember this, you'll not loose good nights sleep over this!

anyone can explain y engine oil level it higher when its hot and it will drop when its cold. i always thought it should be the other way round.

Top Bottom