Engine Died Halfway

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

nautica1973

Club Guest
Hi guys, hey i was driving on a quarter tank of petrol when the engine died on me. there's no reason for it to do so since my engine oil was still full and i cant find an explanation. would anyone be able to assist me ?

Diagnose your ECU, and check is there a fault code on your fuel level sensor. I've encountered the same problem. It is showing quater tank but in actual it is already empty. I found the LEFT FUEL LEVEL SENSOR PART NO 16116768788 already spoilt

b4 ur engine died got any symptom like jerking? my case was my car will jerking when reach 80-90kmh at around 2k rpm.my mech used his computer to diagnos my ecu n came out faulty oxygen sensor. but he said it is faulty vacumm valve.

n he explain oxygen sensor only sending signal,if vacumm valve faulty it will had adnormal air flow n car will jerk n will died off. after change it seem the jerking was gone. now no more worried.

wlchong77-i am going to take your advice and get it checked first thing tomorrow morning with the ECU diagnosis. it's rather unnerving to know that i have been driving on fuel vapour all these time

ryucky-nope, no jerking motion. it just went flat dead, kaput, died-ded.and i have noticed this on 3 separate occasions when the petrol tank indicator is at the last quarter. once at a traffic light in front of island plaza, the other 2 occasion whilst maneuvering a speed bump at low speeds. this could be due to the faulty fuel sensor perhaps.

i am going to take my car on the jelutong expressway this evening to ascertain if there is jerking at all. if so, it'll confirm your opinion on the vacuum valve.how much is the vacuum valve when you got it changed ?

Had this pwobwem too in my ex-E46 325i. I never got down to fixing it cos I sold the car with that problem. I'm not sure what the new owner did but it appeared to be a fuel sensor problem. So many sensors only led to extra costs, I wonder sometimes if this is right!

nautica1973;230405 said:
ryucky-nope, no jerking motion. it just went flat dead, kaput, died-ded.and i have noticed this on 3 separate occasions when the petrol tank indicator is at the last quarter. once at a traffic light in front of island plaza, the other 2 occasion whilst maneuvering a speed bump at low speeds. this could be due to the faulty fuel sensor perhaps.

i am going to take my car on the jelutong expressway this evening to ascertain if there is jerking at all. if so, it'll confirm your opinion on the vacuum valve.how much is the vacuum valve when you got it changed ?

vacumm valve rm375
hose rm60
labour rm50

btw mine is e39.
total rm475

Juan, you've got a point there on the costs issue of sensors and what it senses. about the only thing i can SENSE is the cash seeping out from between my fingers and it makes no darn sense haha....

I also experience this ....but i cannot explain it well...it happens when I stop the car....once on an incline to take a parking ticket, then once i was at a traffic light stop and tried to turn the steering it died....another time while parking

so mech changed my petrol filter...he also says try changing the cam sensor....have not talked to him on what he suspects

Thing is its like sudden not like car jerking or anything like that....now driving its ok...have to test longer and observe

integra-it could have easily been any of the issues suggested by the guys, ranging from spoilt fuel sensor to vacuum valve or petrol filter. guess it would take an experienced old hand to figure out the fault after having dealt with various cars suffering from similar issues

Top Bottom