EDC Absorbers E38 - Anyone can re-build locally ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

timbach

Club Guest
Hi Does anyone know of any local shops that can rebuild EDC Shock Absorbers for an 2000 E38 740iL?
Otherwise I'll have to ship to Poland to have them rebuilt at a cost of E300 per absorber plus another E400 for customs and shipping back to Malaysia. Thanks!!

Just change to normal absorber. The springs can be use back and no error will pop out

Thanks for the replies. I've done the normal absorber thing before on my 1st E38. Not quite the same as EDC.
Anyhow, I've found this guy in Poland who will rebuild them for 300 Euro each. Plus another 180 Euro shipping back to Malaysia.
TNT charged me RM780 to ship over there. So total = 1380 Euro (RM5520) plus RM780 shipping = RM 6300/=
They give a 2 year warranty
Will let you guys know how it turns out.

The link is http://www.nagengast.pl/regeneration-en.html

How good are these rebuilds? If I am not mistaken, you can order new original BMW for less than USD1K each.

Really? EDC for USD 1K ? Who stocks them ?
wrt the rebuilds. They've only just arrived in Poland last night. Got notification from vendor. He'll take a week to rebuild them before shipping them back.
With a bit of luck I'll have them back in a fortnight.

the front i have changed to titan.. but i have done for a fren.. changed the seals for the back and maintain all edc function. have been 4 years now never had any issue

i disagree on changing rear e38IL abs to normal abs as the preload of the spring is assisted by the hydraulic pressure of the system. without the hydraulic accumulator function, its getting 440lb less sprunged tension. the E38L version spring rate is about 20% more than iL

Want ask...
1.Adakah all 7 series model Used this EDC Shock Absorbers... And must used it.
2.Adakah all types cc including 2.8 engine use EDC Shock Absorbers...
3.Normally, All user just Rebuilt it or change to a new one..
4.betol ke? We can get a new pair for about RM6-7K for rear only..

Have any idea or pilihan to solve this problem... Tq :)

Well. Not all E38s came with EDC. Some came with normal absorbers. But most of the 735i/iL, 740i/iL and 750iLs definitely had EDC standard. The 728i and 730i may have come without.
Most users retrofit normal Bilsteins / Boges to save cost.
If no retrofit, then replacing EDCs would cost maybe 14-16k for a set of 4.
The alternative is to send them to be remanufactured like I did , Euro 300 per absorber ~ 1200 total not including shipping. I posted the link above.

Top Bottom