E90 door frame rattle...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mitchwsl

Club Guest
To all sifu out there, I've just bought a new 325 m sport 2weeks ago fr ab sg besi.Upon collecting d car I heard d 4doors has rattle/squeaking sounds. To be honest it's unbearable. How can a premium brand has tis kind of defect where my wifes myvi is so quite.... Anyway I'm going back to sg besi ab again next mon for d repair... They told me it's normal&they r going to install some 3G tape along d door seal... Is tat a normal practise??? Oh ya, after washing my car d sounds gone&its a perfect ride again until d whole car dries up&d sounds will reappear.... Any 1 has d some fate as me or mine had a defect???

normal for most of the LCI's .. taping it is apparently the solution.
mine has the tape too.
so rattle or squeak after that ..
enjoy ur UDM...LOL

Tkh achtung, by d way applying tape won't d sound comes into d cabin? How long will it take to do d job?? Tkh again.

One SA told me that it's because the rubber seal around the doors hardened after being exposed under the sun for a long time while in the storage yard. Either replace the seal or use 3M tapes will do.

Another remedy is you may put a rubber lubricant along the door seal and the squeaky sound will disappear. I normally will put the silicon and should last you like 1 month. Need to do it periodically, that's the extra care for the beemer.

Mitchwsl;726071 said:
Tkh achtung, by d way applying tape won't d sound comes into d cabin? How long will it take to do d job?? Tkh again.

mine took bout 2 hr.. did it together with oil change.
been 1 year and still ok.

I saw that BMW also sells the rubber lubricant at Quill. I used to have the same issue with my VW as well.

FIRZ67;726102 said:
Another remedy is you may put a rubber lubricant along the door seal and the squeaky sound will disappear. I normally will put the silicon and should last you like 1 month. Need to do it periodically, that's the extra care for the beemer.

Eeer, I heard that silicon degrades rubber over time !

I stopped using that and now use the OWS body flex gel, which is specifically for use on rubber, plastics etc.

Too many BMWs have this problem. The factory knows it but could not care less. Just take it back to them and let them sort it out. Mine still squeeks and I am waiting for them to take my car in. Mine was sent in once before and within 3 days it all started again. BMW la ...

FIRZ67;726102 said:

What type of silicon you put ?

I was told by the BMW techies not to use silicon, seems not good for the rubber.

etquah;726248 said:
What type of silicon you put ?

I just put a leather conditioner alternately with silicon spray, something like a WD40 but for rubber.As for leather conditioner, i assume that it will not harm the rubber as it gentle and mild enough for the leather seat.:)

Hmm, not sure abt the rubber in bimmers, but my old roadster has lots of rubber between the convertable roof and the windscreen/the rest of the car to prevent rainwater from seeping into the cabin.

During that time, i have learnt that silicon doesn't hurt rubber due to its inert properties. But its the hydrocarbon propellent in the spray that hurts them. What we did which was recommended by a tech in Merc/Smart UK is to spray the silicon onto a small container and leave it there until the propellent has evaporated. Then apply the silicon onto the rubber with a brush, or finger. Used that technique on a mate's 325i and the squeeking sound was gone.

Hope this helps.

kevin1982my;726671 said:
Hmm, not sure abt the rubber in bimmers, but my old roadster has lots of rubber between the convertable roof and the windscreen/the rest of the car to prevent rainwater from seeping into the cabin.

During that time, i have learnt that silicon doesn't hurt rubber due to its inert properties. But its the hydrocarbon propellent in the spray that hurts them. What we did which was recommended by a tech in Merc/Smart UK is to spray the silicon onto a small container and leave it there until the propellent has evaporated. Then apply the silicon onto the rubber with a brush, or finger. Used that technique on a mate's 325i and the squeeking sound was gone.

Hope this helps.

Aaaah so ...

Wow,so many ways of doing it... I'm confuse now... Anyway I'll let ab to solve d problem at sg besi 2molo

Apparently, candle wax do a better job to rid of the squeaky sound. Tried and tested.

Mine is M-Sport version, having the squeaky sound for months, tried every means without a cure. Finally, I tried to reproduce the squeaky sound outside by pushing up and down the door frame. The sound is coming from the Rain Channel!

The M-Sport Rain Channel is a highly glossy finishing surface and therefore isn't friendly with rubbers. They need lubricated. Here what I did. Remind that you must lubricate all 4 doors frame wherever the high-gross pillar is.

2012-03-26_15-24-14_373.jpg

2012-03-26_15-24-38_927.jpg

2012-03-26_15-24-52_656.jpg

with this
2012-03-26_15-25-22_43.jpg

The Rattle Sound is actually coming from the M-Sport Pillar, you can insert some rubber to fill up the space and therefore no beating contact.
2012-03-26_15-28-45_188.jpg

Test drive...Walah....So quiet

Just came back fr service center at sg besi,they gum some tapes along d door frame which is not noticeable at all... Very quiet drive now. Problem solves..... Very happy now.... Tkh for all d heads up bro....

Top Bottom