E60 I-Drive black out

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

cysoon

Club Guest
Guys anyone of you have encounter the same problem I have encounter? My I-Drive suddently Black out, anyone can advice on this? Previously my I-Drive hang.I just send my car for service 2 days ago and today i experience the I-Drive black out

cysoon, sorry to hear abt your idrive screen problem. I don't have this problem, unless you preset it at the button which I normally do. I'd turn off the screen when I'm not using it. But if it's more than that I suggest you quickly send it back.

Warranty... Warranty....

Thats all you need in a moment like this... That or a big fat bank account.. :)

All the best dude.. and maybe check out http://forums.e60.net for more info? Maybe someone there might have experienced it before..

Just go to e60.net forum. Key in "idrive" to search. You will find a number of threads on this. My friend's idrive also went blank or black. I am not sure if it was replaced.

cysoon,

Has your problem been solved?? What did you do to rectify it?

Cheers

Thanks for your concern, have send in my car they say the whole unit need to be change. To make the things worst, 2 days ago my tyre punture and can not reset the systems.

Boy..boy.. I have ask them to trade in my car and I want to pick up the new 525. Because just imagine my car millage on 11k and i get my care last year May. Is hardly drive but i send the car to AB to rectify the problems more then 10 times I had lost confident with my car. I told them they better do something on this if not i will blow this to their HQ. :getyourfactsright: :getyourfactsright:

cysoon,

Go talk to the GM of AB in Glenmarie, he's German from HQ. Nice guy, whose main mission here in Malaysia is to boost sales of course, but is also concerned of after sales. Good luck.

Cheers

Another problem with BMW, like my experience with the e46 325iSMG. I understand your feeling and frustration. Thats why I'm driving e240A/G now. Really pissed me off. I've emailed to BMW at Cyberjaya complaining of the incompetent workshop and saying good bye to BMW. Got respond within few hours from them. So, go and write to them. Mileage of less than 11k with >10 times in the workshop is really too much.

Dude, do tell us when the matter has been resolved and what was the cause of the I-drive malfunctioning...

Guys, my Idrive had been repair. But I feel that the LCD screen is not as good as previous LCD this with some shadow. What to do? Really piss off

went to the dealer, the chief machanic told me I-drive screen black out is common in the 5 series...he'd changed many...

Zul, can you forward us the email add of the BMW contact at Cyberjaya....they need to be told about their dealers' below average service centers.

What I did was write at their h/p on the contact section. Then I received the email from them. One of the address:

Chuah.Kah-Seong@ bmw.com.my

BMW Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Kah Seong, Chuah
Technical Customer Support Executive
3501, Jalan Teknokrat 5
63000 Cyberjaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan

Fax : + (6)-03-8887 3821

Tel. No: PM me if you want it.

Zul, how's the E240? I may just get one as well after pondering over the issues with the E60. Any pitfalls?

Originally posted by Zul@May 22 2006, 08:13 AM
What I did was write at their h/p on the contact section. Then I received the email from them. One of the address:

Chuah.Kah-Seong@ bmw.com.my

BMW Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Kah Seong, Chuah
Technical Customer Support Executive
3501, Jalan Teknokrat 5
63000 Cyberjaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan

Fax : + (6)-03-8887 3821

Tel. No: PM me if you want it.
Thanks man!.

wirelessjunkie,

e240,... different class compared to e60. It is mainly for cruising and comfortable riding. Don't expect the surge of power like the e60. It is heavy and pick-up is slow but once on the go the torque is fairly good. The facelifted e280 should be at par with the e60 in term of power but IMO the comfort level of the e240 is much better than the e60-525. The run-flat tyre really bring the rating down on the e60.

Been driving the car for about 7 months now and mileage about 10,000 km. So far not a single problem except tyre puncture which was repaired with a can of sealent.

This is just my opinion. Hope I'm not offending anybody.

i tried it b4 also,but i think it's better to send it back for update.
just did it 3 days ago..everything fine now. :D

I drive my dad's E240 every now and then and I can say it's hell a lot of car for the money, oozing with quality and very very comfortable. I can't stand the engine though cos it seems to take a lot of effort to gain speed and when you prod on it too much, the engine sounds hyper. BUT... once you reach cruising speed, ya can sleep like a baby. So, the advert with Mika holds true indeed. I think the new E280 would be a great car to have but for that price, it's hard to dismiss the E60 525i.

Back to topic, I was in AB Sg Besi a few months back and heard a lot of complains about I-Drive screen blacking out. It appears to be a common pwobwem.

Dig up this thread for the purpose of sharing my experience with my iDrive. A few days ago, after completing a long journey and sent my friend home, few seconds after he alighted from my car and slam shut my rear right door, the iDrive just black out. Doesn't respond to reset method or the big round idrive button. Quickly stopped my car by the road side and switch off the engine and then on again but to no avail. Luckily the driving function and air cond are not affected, just that you can't listen to audio and can't access the iDrive menu. Went home and quickly lock down the car and frantically searched the net for causes and answers for about 1 1/2 hours. Found out that our iDrive is regulated by a module called Micro Power Module (MPM) which is located beneath our spare tyre at the trunk. There are two modules here, one white (the MPM) and the other black (thats for the PDC). Went to have a look at the said module and was relieved that it was not submerged in water which may have leaked into the area (as experienced by some). I have uploaded pics of the MPM here.

After dinner and some prayer :biggrin:, unlock the car and insert the key and bingo, the iDrive screen came on again as usual. No lag and no delay in starting up. Thereafter, for the past 2 days, have been driving her around town and the gremlin has not shown up again. Keeping my finger crossed. Phew.

Some of the excerpts i have extracted from the function of the MPM are as follows:-

"How it works

The micro-power module (MPM) enables consumers to be switched off in a defined manner if a fault develops while the vehicle is out of use. The MPM is linked with other control units in the vehicle to allow it to transmit and receive CAN messages via the K-CAN. The MPM has a bistable relay which controls terminal 30g-f. If the MPM detects a fault, the relay will switch terminal 30g-f off. The reason for the deactivation will be stored in the MPM.

The following consumers are connected to terminal 30g-f:
- Multi-audio system controller (M-ASK)
- Car Communication Computer (CCC)
- CD changer (CDC)
- Japan navigation system (JNAV), Korea navigation system (KNAV)

Conditions required for switch-on
The switch-on conditions for the bistable relay are:
- Battery connected
- Vehicle unlocked
- Change in condition of door contacts or boot-lid switch

The MPM is woken up by activity in the K-CAN. After being "woken up", the bistable relay returns to the switch state it was in before it was "woken up".

Conditions required for switch-off:
The switch-off conditions for the bistable relay are:
- Off-load current too high (more than 80 milliampères) and battery's starting limit reached
- Undervoltage
- Permissible number of "wake-up" actions in K-CAN exceeded
- Bus active after 60 minutes with terminal R OFF without any switch-on conditions being satisfied.

The time is reset by switch-on conditions, e.g. by a door being opened. This means: The vehicle is unable to go into sleep mode after terminal R is switched OFF. There is no limit to the number of times this process can be repeated. It could thus cause the battery to become discharged!

The MPM goes into sleep mode approx. 1 second after the K-CAN goes into sleep mode. Before the MPM goes into sleep mode, the current switch state of the bistable relay is stored.i
SBT"

So from the reading above, could have been caused by one of the things which may caused the MPM to switch off as " Off-load current too high (more than 80 milliampères) and battery's starting limit reached
- Undervoltage
- Permissible number of "wake-up" actions in K-CAN exceeded
- Bus active after 60 minutes with terminal R OFF without any switch-on conditions being satisfied." :stupid:

Even the opening of a door can reset the time for the switch on condition for the MPM.

Top Bottom