E60 boot spoiler

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

affan66

Founding Member
Gracias folks, I am wondering if there is any aerodynamic benefit by installing an E60 boot spoiler?I have seen a few types, e.g.: the M-sport (subtle lip type), the ACS type and the Hamann type (protruding lip type). Do let me know if you have any experience resulting in installing the above spoiler and which one is better. FYI, mine is the E60 M-sport.

Sup affan.. for e60 the rear spoilers generally just helps to keep the car on the road but its nothing major. Both the standard m5 or aftermarket acs/hamanns will do the job. Probably because BMW didn't design the newer models to gain much from wind direction to the spoiler.

All comes down to which design you prefer. I went with the m5 one, but might just change to acs if I keep modding the bodykit.

PS: I'm also on e60 msport

owen;582674 said:
Sup affan.. for e60 the rear spoilers generally just helps to keep the car on the road but its nothing major. Both the standard m5 or aftermarket acs/hamanns will do the job. Probably because BMW didn't design the newer models to gain much from wind direction to the spoiler.

All comes down to which design you prefer. I went with the m5 one, but might just change to acs if I keep modding the bodykit.

PS: I'm also on e60 msport

So Owen, mahu jual the rear spoiler, tell me yea! I book..

I believe the rear spoiler has its reason, which is to provide more downforce at HIGH speed, so that your car is still intact on the ground.

Remember Audi TT when they first launched without the rear spoiler, many accident cases which later found out because the car literally went airborn. This is based on the Bernoulli Theory, something like that. After that, all TTs are now with the rear spoiler, even though a small one..

But as for the e60 rear spoiler usability, i think more on the aesthethic, unless the M5 with 500bhp !!

naharnms;582689 said:
So Owen, mahu jual the rear spoiler, tell me yea! I book..

I believe the rear spoiler has its reason, which is to provide more downforce at HIGH speed, so that your car is still intact on the ground.

Remember Audi TT when they first launched without the rear spoiler, many accident cases which later found out because the car literally went airborn. This is based on the Bernoulli Theory, something like that. After that, all TTs are now with the rear spoiler, even though a small one..

But as for the e60 rear spoiler usability, i think more on the aesthethic, unless the M5 with 500bhp !!

No problem. I might change within a few weeks tho.

To add to your post...elaborate rear spoilers are definitely needed for these supercars, prime example is the bugatti veyron for 300mph madness. And on the flip side GTR35's spoiler is made for track use. Its too bad that on the e60, tall rear spoilers ruin the overall design of the car.

so i suppose it only works at high speeds?? I read somewhere most spoilers only have "some" effect when driving beyond 140km/h. Is that true?

I prefer the lip spoiler.. subtle like my previous E39

affan66;582745 said:
so i suppose it only works at high speeds?? I read somewhere most spoilers only have "some" effect when driving beyond 140km/h. Is that true?

I prefer the lip spoiler.. subtle like my previous E39

I suppose so. I frankly only felt any sort of grip improvement past 160kmh. But that could very well just be the other bodykit parts taking effect. The e60 is too comfortable and heavy to notice and vastly different if one were to compare modding 3series, coupes, etc.

You'll want the rear spoiler because the look pays for itself. Get the acs and maybe we can swap later if you don't like it haha.

I was told the boot spoiler will help to push down the car by aerodynamic when car cruise in fast speed.

any other responses??? I have not seen anyone put on the Hamann spoiler... it does look a bit odd though

Bro Affan,
Actually the original M-Sport spoiler looks GREAT enough for our E60 :top:
However, rather than changing to ACS, Arqray or Hamann spoilers... I'm actually considering to go for CSL style trunk for E60 :D made entirely on carbon fibre with the ducktail-liked spoiler blend into the trunk!!! It cost about RM2k or maybe lower...

affan66;583167 said:
Thanks.... btw, just added the multimedia kit... hehehe....

what else did you install??? share lah :D some pic will do the trick

i should have taken some pics.... hold on a sec... let me upload
there you go.... we cerita on PM okay?

affan66;583018 said:
any other responses??? I have not seen anyone put on the Hamann spoiler... it does look a bit odd though

If it helps in ur decision making..speed sensitive retractable spoilers are usually activated at 75-80mph. E.g. Audi, Merc and Porsche. Ferraris, veyron supercars etc at 120mph.

Hamann spoiler is pretty badass especially on quad setup.

Top Bottom