E60 ATF Change

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

planta

Club Guest
Some sharingGot the opportunity to do this last weekend... background... E60 525, mileage ~ 100k km. Trasmission issue - jerking and shifting down hard. Owner was not happy with the transmission performance.
E60AtfChange2.jpg
remove the covers
E60AtfChange4.jpg
remove the oil pan
E60AtfChange8.jpg
the inside
E60AtfChange6.jpg
the used ATF. Black color. New 6HP ATF is gold color.Fill up - 10 liters
E60AtfChange18.jpg
the magnets
E60AtfChange10.jpg
E60AtfChange9.jpg
the new oil pan. E60 oil pan is unique. It is plastic, comes attached with the strainer, 2 magnets and gasket. Unlike previous models, items are sold separately and the oil pan is metal, thus you do not need to change it, just clean up the pan and magnet and used it back. For E60... have to pay for the whole set.
E60AtfChange16.jpg
E60AtfChange15.jpg
E60AtfChange13.jpg
planta

Nice write-up and pictures. Would the same procedures be followed for the E90?

When u get a chance to do it for E90, do share with us, planta! I believe many E90s on the road today has just ended their warranty and such information will be very useful! ;)

Appreciate if indicative cost can be revealed so we can budget ;)

If I ever get the chance to do this on an E90, I will definitely post it here.

I try to share as much as technical, service and maintenance experience or knowledge that I can coz my intention to share such knowledge to fellow BMW owners. It is good to have a visual of a technical or maintenance topic.

I believe it is inappropriate if I mention the cost openly or even through PM as
1) my postings are not intended for commercial, not trying to gain customers
2) the price of parts and service varies due to many factors like operational costs which will be improper to publish and unfair to other BMW mechanics.
3) the price of parts keeps on going up. If I tell you today it's rm100, next month it could be rm180. Who knows... sudah kena many times.
4) I am here to make friends and share knowledge...not to compete with others.

planta

planta;277589 said:
If I ever get the chance to do this on an E90, I will definitely post it here.

I try to share as much as technical, service and maintenance experience or knowledge that I can coz my intention to share such knowledge to fellow BMW owners. It is good to have a visual of a technical or maintenance topic.

I believe it is inappropriate if I mention the cost openly or even through PM as
1) my postings are not intended for commercial, not trying to gain customers
2) the price of parts and service varies due to many factors like operational costs which will be improper to publish and unfair to other BMW mechanics.
3) the price of parts keeps on going up. If I tell you today it's rm100, next month it could be rm180. Who knows... sudah kena many times.
4) I am here to make friends and share knowledge...not to compete with others.

planta

I like this spirit ...keep up with this good job.

The ATF colour has changed to black. A simple logic indication and explaination to say that the ATF is not be able to maintain its fluid properties to ensure the full function of transmission fluid.

Planta, I need to seriously discuss with you to lower down my transmission and totally drain the fluid and replace with premium 6HP fluid. The mileage almost hits 100,000 KM.

bro, veli gud info la... so precise la!

nice work buddy, keep it up thda gud work!! cheers!!

r37720;277665 said:
I like this spirit ...keep up with this good job.

The ATF colour has changed to black. A simple logic indication and explaination to say that the ATF is not be able to maintain its fluid properties to ensure the full function of transmission fluid.

Planta, I need to seriously discuss with you to lower down my transmission and totally drain the fluid and replace with premium 6HP fluid. The mileage almost hits 100,000 KM.

r37720, No Prob Bro...let's discuss ... over Teh Tarik.

Anxious, sorry, can't really say as I did not check the car reg or year of manufacture.

planta

we really need people like u more lah bludder who has also signed up as official member tats more better rite cheers

I decided to change the ATF for my E60. Since it has done 100,000 KM, I am going to lower down the GB and totally drain the ATF. I called the mechanic and it will cost me less than RM3K. I think it is reasonable.

planta;277530 said:
the new oil pan. E60 oil pan is unique. It is plastic, comes attached with the strainer, 2 magnets and gasket. Unlike previous models, items are sold separately and the oil pan is metal, thus you do not need to change it, just clean up the pan and magnet and used it back. For E60... have to pay for the whole set.
planta

Planta,

Second time reading the above but still confused. Are you saying previous models, as in pre-e60 (i.e. e39), that the oil pan items are sold separately while e60 have to purchase in a set?

Don't really own an e60, but curious. Pardon my english.

cheers.

Hi Chaiks

No problem, let me try to explain this again. Previous models (not sure about E90, have not done it yet) but for transmissions that I have serviced like 5HP transmission on E39, E46, E38, X5 and 4HP transmission on E34, E36, E32, the oil pans are metal and not made of plastic like for an E60. So you do not neet to buy the oil pan caused you can just wash it and use it again.

On previous models you can take the magnets and wash it which is the part I hate the most when I service transmissions. It's sticky and yucky. For previous models, you only need to buy the gaskets, strainer which is sold separately and of course need to buy the new ATF.

So for E60 which is a 6HP transmission, you would have to pay for 1 set that are attached together. 2 magnets, 1 rubber oil pan gasket, 1 strainer and the plastic oil pan. Logically, the cost to service the transmission is definitely more expensive that servicing 4HP or 5HP transmission cause it comes in 1 set.

If you want to read more about transmission try to check on some of these web sites or web search on 4HP, 5HP and 6HP transmission.

http://www.e38.org/electran1.pdf
http://www.e38.org/transfund1.pdf
http://www.bmwtips.com/
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/Tranny/SD92-113.pdf
http://www.transtec.com/tech_insert/IS-5L40E-1.pdf
http://www.automaticchoice.com/Catalogue/4L30E_VA02.pdf

planta

Bro

semalam ronda rukun tetangga...anti crime division.. he he he
While waiting for the time to roll at 3:30am, layan forum dulu lah..

planta

The operating ATF gets very hot nia... the plastic pan can tahan meh? :stupid: This is what I call the love-hate relationship between me and BMW technology. The other one is the "LifeTime" lub thingy la.. :stupid:

The engine oil pan actually serves another purpose which is as heat sink to disseminate ATF heat. Plastic definitely can't achieve a better result compare to metal. And plastic oil pan very easy to puncture and cripple the engine. Why!!??!!??

Top Bottom