E60 airbag indicator

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

alep97

Hi everyone.For the past weekends me and my father went out hunting for a new beast. We have tried a few E60 models and yet very satisfied with it. But there are some doubts with which one to choose and whats the best.One of the car we tested has this doubt. It was the 2004 525 uk spec. The airbag indicator is on and will not turn off. Is it usually like that ? The salesman told us that "itu bole repair nanti kalau abang beli saya alter sikit". Does that make any sense at all considering it is an electronic matters. An one more thing is there is a beeping sound. It is like a parking sensor sound but i dont know, maybe it just sounded like that. It can be turned off with switching off the button with the cone icon. The price is RM208k.The other one is the same family 2004 uk model 525. This one looks a lot more convincing than the previous one. But the price is RM225k. So my father needs some favor from u guys to give some ideas or comments on that. But we are still vague on choosing the UK or Japan is better. Sorry for the long post. Hope my father can be a part of the E60 family !! :top:

which one is uk spec? d 1st or 2nd? i suggest 4 u 2 take d uk spec. dun take wif d airbag light on. or better, visit official dealers laa. got warranty n some free svc

alep97;396408 said:
Hi everyone.
For the past weekends me and my father went out hunting for a new beast. We have tried a few E60 models and yet very satisfied with it. But there are some doubts with which one to choose and whats the best.

One of the car we tested has this doubt. It was the 2004 525 uk spec. The airbag indicator is on and will not turn off. Is it usually like that ? The salesman told us that "itu bole repair nanti kalau abang beli saya alter sikit". Does that make any sense at all considering it is an electronic matters. An one more thing is there is a beeping sound. It is like a parking sensor sound but i dont know, maybe it just sounded like that. It can be turned off with switching off the button with the cone icon. The price is RM208k.

The other one is the same family 2004 uk model 525. This one looks a lot more convincing than the previous one. But the price is RM225k. So my father needs some favor from u guys to give some ideas or comments on that. But we are still vague on choosing the UK or Japan is better.

Sorry for the long post. Hope my father can be a part of the E60 family !! :top:

Hi Alep97,

It was the 2004 525 uk spec. The airbag indicator is on and will not turn off. Is it usually like that ?.

I had this experience occasionally on my CKD E46. It could be true due to your electronic matter. In my case, this thing happened due to the airbag sensor underneath the driver's seat. Whenever I slide the seat back and forth, the wire harness will keep on moving along the direction/s and causes the wire to slip away or lost contact from the sensor. Sometimes the indicator light goes off when the connection is 'accidentally' back to normal. I settle the problem by changing the whole harness cable...uurhhh..a bit costly anyway!!

The question is that, will the airbag/s work if this sensor fails??

oligokoko;396416 said:
which one is uk spec? d 1st or 2nd? i suggest 4 u 2 take d uk spec. dun take wif d airbag light on. or better, visit official dealers laa. got warranty n some free svc

both are uk spec. official dealers i think is the best choice but not best for my father as his budget is not that sky high. but thanks for the comments ya :top:

X5madani;396442 said:
Hi Alep97,

It was the 2004 525 uk spec. The airbag indicator is on and will not turn off. Is it usually like that ?.

I had this experience occasionally on my CKD E46. It could be true due to your electronic matter. In my case, this thing happened due to the airbag sensor underneath the driver's seat. Whenever I slide the seat back and forth, the wire harness will keep on moving along the direction/s and causes the wire to slip away or lost contact from the sensor. Sometimes the indicator light goes off when the connection is 'accidentally' back to normal. I settle the problem by changing the whole harness cable...uurhhh..a bit costly anyway!!

The question is that, will the airbag/s work if this sensor fails??

Man electronics matter sux. But without them i think the world would be a boring place to stay especially if u live in BMW World ahaha Thanks btw for your comments !! :top:

for the airbag light on, for e60 normally it is the faulty airbag sensor mat on the passenger seat...i think costs about rm1k to replace...

even if you plan to ignore the light... but you will feel uneasy with the indicator on... believe me.

t2ribena;396561 said:
for the airbag light on, for e60 normally it is the faulty airbag sensor mat on the passenger seat...i think costs about rm1k to replace...

Yep, it's the sensor mat that is causing the the airbag light to come on. The mat is suppose to 'save' you the cost of replacing 2 airbags should you have the misfortune of triggering them in an accident while driving alone.

It senses if someone is sitting on it and triggers the passenger airbag in the event of a collision. For those with a faulty mat whose is not prepared to spend the money on a new one, not to mention ripping their seat to access the old piece, the way to get around it is to 'fool' it into thinking that someone is occupying the seat, thereby bypassing the airbag warning light, but you will trigger both airbags, in an accident.

But here is the teaser, you pay from your own pocket for the sensor while the deflated airbags are mostly taken care of by insurance companies. Fooling it consist of 2 resistors and a diode connected to the wires that formerly go to the sensor mat and the cost is a few bucks, apart from having the fault codes erased by the mechanic.

I did that for my E46 (not sure about E60 though).

Dude,

Trust me, if you were the buy the car with indicator on,Tell the Salesman to Baiki dulu baru you beli,

Else once you pay him downpayment, he won't give a damn about it,

Trust me, I bought my car as a lemon, and I spent RM20k in total to fix the whole car!

Lesson learned--> never trust a Car Salesman promise, and insist it to be fixed according to what you request before yoyu made any deposit; I bought my car and dealt directly with the boss, the boss promise me earth and sky, after pay RM 5k for deposit, never even give me a call when my car is ready, and i have to chase him for it.

The problem that i've told him earlier he also never fix... the best part is--> he refuse to pick up my phone call even I kept calling him to tell him the problems of the car that he promise to fix.

I've paid a hefty price for my lesson, hope no forummers here have to goes through what i've gone through...

hey Alep 97..i have experienced with my x e46...all the while i tought the air bag is going fine since no light indicator on.Unfortunately its not...i found out it had been tampered with black sticker'from inside' so that the light is not visible...i dont know wheter they can do it with e 60..but just be careful....since that smart salesman said he can kow tim with the error...

I'd like to help but I haven't the time to read every post so if I'm posting something that's already been said, I apologize in advance.

Anyways, I've had the same problem with the airbag sensor indicator - it just wouldn't turn off after I upgraded my sound system. I took it to BMW and found out that it was the driver's airbag sensor that came undone (because they had to remove the door panel to install my speaker). But more than that, the bracket was somewhat broken, so BMW had to tape it back together. It's absolutely fine to do that...until it falls off again, in which case I'd have to change the bracket or casing (don't remember what he said, it's been a while) that will cost around RM400.

So it could be one of two things - either one of your sensors have come undone (it can be diagnosed for exactly which one by plugging in the diagnostic machine at any BMW service center), which will cost nothing to put back in place OR that one of the brackets/casings is broken, which you could tape/glue back together if you're lucky and it doesn't need replacement.

Be warned: I've been told by BMW that having one faulty sensor will cause your entire airbag system to malfunction, which means none of your airbags will work in the event of an accident. So please don't go around driving with your airbag malfunction light on like I have done for several weeks before I finally got it fixed.

Top Bottom