e46 UK Specs Vs. Other Specs

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

slkhor

Club Guest
Hi all sifus n bros, I've been wanting to own a e46 for a long time n now time has finally come for me to get one.... i've test drive one e46 318i 1.9 year 00/04 UK specs today n quite like it. but before i decide, i've got a few things that i need clarification n hope u guys can help.1. The mileage is about 150,000KM.... what are the things i need to do if i buy this one. ie service/parts replacements n stuff.2. I've driven the car... the gas paddle is a little "tight/heavy" is this normal ?3. Is there a lifetime for gearbox n engine ? i wouldn't want to have a major overhaullin.... 4. Some says that UK specs spare parts are more expensive than other specs... is it true ?5. What are the things to check when buying a e46 ? 6. How much would u suggest i set aside to service the e46 on a monthly average basis?7. Is the 1.9L version under power ? phewwww.... thats a helluwa lot of questions... but hope someone can help.... thanks in advance.:top:cheers,Eric

You better read the forum rules and intro yourself in the newbie section first coz no one is going to reply to your post if you don't do that first

slkhor;371772 said:
Hi all sifus n bros, I've been wanting to own a e46 for a long time n now time has finally come for me to get one.... i've test drive one e46 318i 1.9 year 00/04 UK specs today n quite like it. but before i decide, i've got a few things that i need clarification n hope u guys can help.

1. The mileage is about 150,000KM.... what are the things i need to do if i buy this one. ie service/parts replacements n stuff.
How much is the price? if can get a 6 cylinder (smoother and more power), at that mileage depending on the selling price better get a written warranty from the seller for at least 3 month (gearbox, radiator, water pump, bushings, suspension, all the rubber hose and etc are prime candidate for replacement)

2. I've driven the car... the gas paddle is a little "tight/heavy" is this normal ?
Could be the throttle cable that needs replacing or need to lubricate again

3. Is there a lifetime for gearbox n engine ? i wouldn't want to have a major overhaullin....
150,000 km is considered a lifetime already so be very careful bro ... make sure of the car service history

4. Some says that UK specs spare parts are more expensive than other specs... is it true ?
Not true

5. What are the things to check when buying a e46 ?
the usual stuff when you buy a car but give close attention to the cooling system, gearbox and bushings

6. How much would u suggest i set aside to service the e46 on a monthly average basis?
Depends actually ... rm300-500 more is better

7. Is the 1.9L version under power ?
YES ... go for the 6 cylinder
phewwww.... thats a helluwa lot of questions... but hope someone can help.... thanks in advance.:top:

cheers,
Eric

Answer in blue ... gd luck bro

B33mEr;372340 said:

Answer in blue ... gd luck bro

Thanks bro for replying.....

The price quoted was RM73,000.... not sure about the 6 cylinders thingi coz i'm not really familiar with cars especially BMW.... any indications ?

150k is the lifetime huh... if thats the case i'd better be looking for something with a lower mileage n good service records...

cheers....

Jap spec usually have much lower mileage than others.
U can get 4 yr old Jap spec with less than 20k km! Average annual mileage for a Jap car is about 5k to 10 k km.

Crymson;371782 said:
You better read the forum rules and intro yourself in the newbie section first coz no one is going to reply to your post if you don't do that first

Aiya.. itu mcm blh bikin all the newbies kecut perut mau participate tanya soalan meh. But bro, like pepatah melayu.. "Shy-shy ask, u'll be lost one" hehe. Kalu baru je nk warmimg up with 1st soalan,dah kena ragging mcm kat hostel, camno bro.

errr.. I'm pretty sure we dont have to write a cerpen to describe abt ourselves,do we? Why make life among us so harsh and seperti sepatah dua kata yg bernas dari En Hakim kita ckp..
hakim_radzuan;372277 said:
Dont be too serious la bro..

hehe.. peace bro. nanti kita lepak2, borak2 kosong sambil minum air kosong talking abt our bella yea..cheers.

slkhor;373159 said:
... if thats the case i'd better be looking for something with a lower mileage n good service records...

lower mileage car?. I'm not so sure abt that bro.. but good service record.. probably yes rather than nothing to tell abt the history of the car.

polluxcapella;374802 said:
Jap spec usually have much lower mileage than others.
U can get 4 yr old Jap spec with less than 20k km! Average annual mileage for a Jap car is about 5k to 10 k km.

.. and why is that sir, is it coz the jap dont enjoy driving as much as we do..?.. hehe

For the last 3 weeks i've been wondering from one car dealer to another looking for ci, i came across a friend of mine who is also a car dealer (sold my perdana to him). So, he told me that he used to send cars to adjust the odometer and it cost him RM200 to do that.

I'm not so sure whether that can be done or not and yet to get a 2nd opinion from the expect to confirm that.

Last weekend, i meet this owner of 325ci and he showed me that his bella has only clocked 40,000 km and that cars was born in yr 2000. that means the car traveled on average abt 5,000km yearly for the last 8 years.

I owe a 318i, bought it in 2005 fr my client. He bought it brand-new in nov 2003 for his wife. The car had just clocked 19,000km the time I bought fr him, so she's been using on average of 9,500km/year for 2 years. She also used estima for her daily ride. Since i knew the family so i doubt that he had sent the car to adjust the odometer.

The point is, dont just trust when the owner or car dealer say the car has clocked low mileage, got to check the history and so on, itu pun if u can get around for checking la. otherwise, it should be logical on the average yearly mileage.

.. Anyway, happy hunting for your bimmer bro.. cheers.

my 2 cents, actually while u hunt for a specific model from specific year.. you can tell as average it will be in close figure.. i.e E46 318i year 2000 in average is 100k - 120k mileage, but pls make sure same year la.. more less still can be tolerate but if too less i.e 50k for a year 2000 then u better be extra careful..

As per advised by others sifus, history is the most important..

I have a question, I thought recond cars are fully restored in & out before they export out i.e to malaysia.. even if the mileage is 150k, they probably have restored it maybe 50-60% to the new buyer.. thats how we differ recond & used.. please advise.

happy fishing :)

The mileage can be adjusted!

Whether it's UK/Jap/Local specs, all who are getting a 5yr old and above E46 must prepare some $$$ for the wear & tear maintenance.

Mine, UK specs Reg 2004..got it since 2006, had spent close to RM10k for all the parts till today.

Preventive maintenance is the key here.

So far, my ride drives like an "Ultimate Driving Machine" shd be...

Happy Shopping...year end sales now!

:top:

NKTOB;376863 said:

Whether it's UK/Jap/Local specs, all who are getting a 5yr old and above E46 must prepare some $$$ for the wear & tear maintenance.

Mine, UK specs Reg 2004..got it since 2006, had spent close to RM10k for all the parts till today.

Bro,

Thinking of getting E46 328 yr 2000 model since decided to keep my E39 528. I believe this 2 models share the same engine M52B28. Only I think E46 is the TU model wt double vanos. Any issue on this model? Heard bout the chasis crack prob. Any difference on chasis of E46 facelift & pre-facelift model?

NKTOB;376863 said:

Mileage can be adjusted...how??? i thought if you tamper with the mileage a tamper dot will appear? anyhow wouldnt a scan with GT1 scanners or bmw specific scanners will reveal the true mileage of the car or even that can be adjusted?

Top Bottom