E46 transmission problem...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

skizofrenia

Club Guest
2001 e46 325iit happened all the sudden. the car jerked a bit and shifted down to 4th and the warning light beside gear position (exclamation mark '!', inside a gear ring)appeared.referred to the manual and it said that there's a transmission problem and only certain gear can be selected(in my case,4th).it wont shift up or down and switching to manual didnt make any difference.so,there we were,travelling from kuantan back to kl,4th gear all the time...the warning went off a while when i switch off the engine. but the problem appeared again after moving for a few metres... anyone ever experience the same?

Gear BOX Kaput

Let me guess, mileage about 120k to 160 k...Never changed your ATF oil, as claimed by ZF lifetime right !
100% gearbox problem, if lucky torque converter gone.. can't engage into 5th gear... note, dont go for a new one too expensive about 15 ~ 18K , not a recond.. go for a good reputable rebuild with warrantly 6 months or 50k km warrantly.. about 6 k

changed the gear oil about 2 months ago. last month the gearbox hydraulic cables (2 of them) kaput and changed to new one.

the gearchange will go back to normal when ignition is switch off and re-start.but if you paddle the throttle suddenly,there'll be a noticeable jerk and the warning light will re-appear and the only available gear is 4th...

the mileage is 200k+

on the way to kuantan,everything was smooth - doing 180 - 210km/h,on manual mode. i was a bit harsh on karak - LPT, playing with a 147 selespeed - but i guess that's what the manual mode is all about, right - for enthusiastic driving?!

a friend suggested a mech in seapark. the name is selva. one of my relatives also satisfied with his job on the c class kompressor so far...maybe going there tomorrow...

i already have same prob last 4 month ago,but mine 318i.after 3 month change gear oil,the gearbox start make trouble,advise from ab mech,change or overhall the gearbox.moral of story,dont change gear oil,because bmw gear oil is life time.just change gear oil together when u overhall or change ur gearbox.if u think change gear oil make ur gear smooth,that only physology ur mind only.because after i just change the gear oil,i ask my father drive my car,he didn't feel any different,because i didnt told him i just change the gear oil.

Blue_toyz;367823 said:
i already have same prob last 4 month ago,but mine 318i.after 3 month change gear oil,the gearbox start make trouble,advise from ab mech,change or overhall the gearbox.moral of story,dont change gear oil,because bmw gear oil is life time.just change gear oil together when u overhall or change ur gearbox.if u think change gear oil make ur gear smooth,that only physology ur mind only.because after i just change the gear oil,i ask my father drive my car,he didn't feel any different,because i didnt told him i just change the gear oil.

Where did you do your oil change/ flush and which oil did your mechanic use?

ATF oil

Dude, please take note of the Lube being used for the AFT... it cannot be Shell, Petronas, Mobil or anything else ok.. It is special formulated by exxon for ZF and fully syn..,... so if u change any other type not going to work and will damage the gearbox...
As for the mechanic, please go to a gearbox rebuilder directly... i wont recommend anyone in particular.. DONT GO TO ANY WORKSHOP BIASA

We keep hearing horror stories about the gear box malfunctioning after changing the transmission oil .... BUT the question remains ... what oil was used ? Was it the correct specification in the first place ?

Hi,
i have faced this horrible problem myself and results in changing a gearbox with the torque converter.
The fluid must be changed regularly about 100-150k.
The problem is we do not know what is the temperature inside the fluid but a GT1 will be able to.
So after a long trip the fluid will be too hot and the density went to low (slips will occur) after long driving this will wears out everything.
I myself have found a solution, which is to installed a old model (E36 auto trans cooler) into the E46 or even E90.
For your info the E46 and also E90 does not have this cooler. (is only a very small one and connects to the water radiator for cooling)

My thoughts.
Joe

the mech confirmed the worst had come true!

he quoted rm6.5k all in - provided that the gearbox ECU is intact. if the ECU also kaput, there's another story and additional charges will occur.

any miracolous suggestions?

Transmission

tamade7;368119 said:
change to a manual box.

There is no CPU inside, only a pulser... and its not that expensive... also ask them to include an intercooler with it.. at that price must come with 6 months warrantly and 50K km min... Good luck.. see u back on the road

koryong;367958 said:
We keep hearing horror stories about the gear box malfunctioning after changing the transmission oil .... BUT the question remains ... what oil was used ? Was it the correct specification in the first place ?

You should find a plate with oil grade stick on gear box side

there's one mech in usj 19 quoted rm 4k+ for a recond unit inc labour. will check it out nxt week...thanks anyway guys...

BMW6161;368388 said:
You should find a plate with oil grade stick on gear box side

I know that ... my question was to those people who claimed that the oil change killed their transmission - did they follow the correct specs. ?

confirmed with my mech that the oil was / is according to spec.

probably the solenoid valve.

probably one thing / chip /ecu (not sure) at the airbox.

and the oil was recently changed by him when he changed the hydraulic cables recently - bout 1 mnth ago...

btw, its over 200k mileage and i think if its really gearbox failure, i can accept the fact.just put in selimut and drive my swift for a while,till we fork out some RM to do the necessary...

its been 2 days...and the problem seems....hiding for a while..just took her out for a spin this evening and everything seems ok...hmmm?

just 1 problem, i dah kena dulu... just add additional oil cooler for gearbox in front radiotor, but after radiator cooler. because gearbox temperature can go up to 100 above. but the ideal temperature is just 75 to 85 only. mine is about 82 degree after modified, although my miliage is 150k but it seems like new gearbox.. always change atf oil and filter every 15k.

Top Bottom