E46 HID and headlight projector

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

garydudu

Club Guest
hi every1..im newbie here..lol..n i hav some question here...last week i buy a new set of 4.3k HID headlight and installed it @ accesories shop.after installment, i juz realize dat everytime i start my car, it show me 2 headlight warning signal.the signal is dissapear onli when im switch on my head lights.really headache abt dis problem...is dat i miss to add up something wif HID or wat??help...!and another question heredid any1 know bmw e46 projector headlight cost ya??hope can hear u guys soon..!! n sorry to my broken english...haha..!!

garydudu;441310 said:
hi every1..
im newbie here..lol..
n i hav some question here...
last week i buy a new set of 4.3k HID headlight and installed it @ accesories shop.
after installment, i juz realize dat everytime i start my car, it show me 2 headlight warning signal.
the signal is dissapear onli when im switch on my head lights.
really headache abt dis problem...
is dat i miss to add up something wif HID or wat??
help...!

and another question here
did any1 know bmw e46 projector headlight cost ya??
hope can hear u guys soon..!! n sorry to my broken english...
haha..!!

u r in luck...i had the same problem and finally got it resolved. Go to pasar road electronic shop, ask them for condensor 46000/47000 16 volts. Its a cylinderical shape about 1.5 inch long. BUt 4 pieces, but u only need 2 whilst the other 2 for spare. cost rm2 per piece i think.

then use a blade to cut the wires connecting to the ballast (i will try to take a photo to show which wires) and fix the condensor to the wires....

after that, wa la, magic..

cheers

Wah! RM2 per piece! vince68 just saved you a lot of money gary, I've been charged RM40 for 2 condensers in accessory shop!

vince68;441959 said:
u r in luck...i had the same problem and finally got it resolved. Go to pasar road electronic shop, ask them for condensor 46000/47000 16 volts. Its a cylinderical shape about 1.5 inch long. BUt 4 pieces, but u only need 2 whilst the other 2 for spare. cost rm2 per piece i think.

then use a blade to cut the wires connecting to the ballast (i will try to take a photo to show which wires) and fix the condensor to the wires....

after that, wa la, magic..

cheers

Please share your photo.

Guys, just be careful. The ballast have low voltage and high voltage. the low voltage is for your supply and the high voltage is for your lamp. You cut the wrong wire and you will end up the condenser blowing in your face.

woow...
really really appreciate and thank you for the information..!!
thank..!!

hehe...
ok..im goona to get 4 condensor dy..
and maybe will ask my friends help me to do dis..
but b4 dat...he not really sure how to install it..
but now here got very helpful answer for me dy..!
thankx lot..!!!
**hug**

opps..
1 more question ya sifu...
when sifu oready installed the HID in ur b.m...
while u switch on the HID....
will the both HID turn on in the same time?

in my case...
most of the time when i switch on the headlight..juz onli a side of the HID on...
i need to switch on my headlights few time (means on,off,on and off =S)..then my another side of HID onli can lights up..

i oready ask for the guys who installed the HID from the accesories shop...
and the felors said is like dat 1...(for sure i dun believe wat he said to me...HMMPH)

and sifu...
is dat my HID bubs got problem or the problem from my car battery??

(sorry for my broken english again....=s )

garydudu;442315 said:
opps..

in my case...
most of the time when i switch on the headlight..juz onli a side of the HID on...
i need to switch on my headlights few time (means on,off,on and off =S)..then my another side of HID onli can lights up..

and the felors said is like dat 1...(for sure i dun believe wat he said to me...HMMPH)

and sifu...

Hi Gary,

Cannot be lite that .. what the xxx swith on/off few times to activated the HID..
Mind i ask , are you using original projector or taiwan made projector..

a) If you using original projector, the problem you mention just to configure the setting by GT1 machine..
b) If you use taiwan made projector, the problem you mention is not a issue if you continue to use..

As you mention they just on one side, then later have to kick few times to on another side, im sure 100% this is a problem from your projector.. (most probaly is the ballast problem).

Hope above info can help.

Regards,

3CI

garydudu;442315 said:
opps..

in my case...

and sifu...

Mine turns on both at same time. It's definitely not meant to be like that. Why not get a second opinion from another mechanic and then present the problem back to your accessories guy.

sifu 3CI
i dun think my brothers got change any projector into my e46 b4...
i think is still the original head light....juz add on the angle eyes onli...
if in mycase...will the electric not support enought when i on the light n cause one side of HID cant works??
i dun knw la...dis is wat the fellow tell me...

sifu alxy
haha....im dun knw which accesories can really solve my problem...
so i try to post my question here...
n see how was all the sifu telling me the problem here...
then more accurate n faster to solve my HID problem...
hehe..

jarance;442030 said:
Please share your photo.

Guys, just be careful. The ballast have low voltage and high voltage. the low voltage is for your supply and the high voltage is for your lamp. You cut the wrong wire and you will end up the condenser blowing in your face.

im not sure if its true, but this is what happen, i ask the asse shop to do it, they cut one of those wires and fix it but didnt work. I told him it maybe the other set but he was very sure.

Hence, went back and did it myself, it works.

Since i fixed both sets of wires from and thru the ballast and nothing really happen, hence i take it as safe, but dont quote me if it doesnt. I;m just stating the facts when i did it.

anyway, take a look at the picture which is self explanatory.

cheers

Picture002.gif

vince68;442651 said:
im not sure if its true, but this is what happen, i ask the asse shop to do it, they cut one of those wires and fix it but didnt work. I told him it maybe the other set but he was very sure.

Hence, went back and did it myself, it works.

Since i fixed both sets of wires from and thru the ballast and nothing really happen, hence i take it as safe, but dont quote me if it doesnt. I;m just stating the facts when i did it.

anyway, take a look at the picture which is self explanatory.

cheers

Picture002.gif

thanks for the pic..

err.. can you circle the ballast? I think the condensor or capacitor is partially hidden with some black insulation tape.

btw, what is capacitor in Farad and rated voltage?

garydudu;442611 said:
sifu 3CI
i dun think my brothers got change any projector into my e46 b4...
i think is still the original head light....juz add on the angle eyes onli...
if in mycase...will the electric not support enought when i on the light n cause one side of HID cant works??
i dun knw la...dis is wat the fellow tell me...

sifu alxy
haha....im dun knw which accesories can really solve my problem...
so i try to post my question here...
n see how was all the sifu telling me the problem here...
then more accurate n faster to solve my HID problem...
hehe..

Bro, what I meant is to seek another mechanic opinion on what problem you could be facing, then go back to your original shop to ask the guy to fix it for you. It should still be under warranty. And after this, you might want to reconsider changing your mechanic because this is definitely not normal so a "it's like that one lor" answer from your mechanic is really not acceptable.

In fact, if I were you, I would just insist on getting your mechanic to fix the problem. Tell him it is definitely NOT "like that one lor".

jarance;442731 said:
thanks for the pic..

err.. can you circle the ballast? I think the condensor or capacitor is partially hidden with some black insulation tape.

btw, what is capacitor in Farad and rated voltage?

I didnt have time to edit the pictures...anyway, from the picture, there is 2 sets of wire going in/out the ballast (ballast is the square chrome box). The wires on the top is where i attached the condensor (the condensor is sealed with black electrical tape). I basically used a blade to cut open the rubberish part of the wire so that i can connect the condensor wire onto it, then seal it with black tape plus cable tie to keep the tape on.

The voltage is 16 V with 4600/4700 uF. Just go to pasar road electronic shop and ask for the said condensor. Cost u RM2 per piece.

I'm sure it works since it works for me. Just make sure its seal properly and buy a couple of spare as i blew 1 piece earlier when it was not properly sealed.

Rgds

Top Bottom