E46 EWS problem????

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

InDDy

Club Guest
Hi Forummers, My E46 318i(A) 2.0 won't start for the last 2 weeks. Everytime i started the engine, the engine would stay for few seconds and then cutoff. I used the spare key, still no different. 2 mechs came with diagnostic tools and found everything seemed to be fine. Btw, the car was towed to a 'reputable BMW' workshop here in Kota Bharu and after lying there for almost two weeks the mechs came to a conclusion that the EWS system (i think the immobiliser) is already 'kaput' and its time for change which will cost me RM 8000.00.... Just will like to know if any of the forummers got into this kind of problem before and what was the cost or anybody with vast experience in dealing with such problems with EWS. More info about the car: Mileage: 68,000 Year: 2003 ValvetronicEngine No: FZ93963

before the engine cut off was d idling smooth or rough and erratic??? if the latter then it could be MAF problems due to the DME unable to determine the correct air/fuel mixture but i'm just having a wild guess...

bro,

i had the similar problem.

initially diagnosed as MAF (or is it AFM?) kaput.

but finally some hoses were changed and the car works fine.

IF its indeed EWS, it wont cost you RM 8000. Towed your car to a recognised service center, perhaps Kuantan Auto Bavaria is the nearest and get it done. If it's the EWS module, the part only cost about RM500 + labour. You will need to show them your car registration card and IC before they can proceed to order the module for you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Good thing you checked. Otherwise the mechs who quoted RM8k are trying to rip you off!

the best.. bring the bm go to the bmw authorised place. workshop cikai ni just main agak2 je. ews system susah nak rosak. kalau that thing problem, langsung tak boleh nak crank. mungkin workshop cikai tadi guna computer murah, so tak boleh diagnose 100% engine... my guess.. kalau cost tukar ews system rm8k, baik tukar engin terus, rb20 dett ke, lagi puas hati..and much more powerful.!

Top Bottom