E46 engines dies off for split second

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Whalesith

Club Guest
Hi guys,Just need to check if anyone has this experience. My ride is E46 325 (01).Couple of weeks ago i got into the car and as usual, i turn the key to ignite the engine. The engine started for split second and then dies off completely. I waited for few seconds and re-attempt to start the car. This time the engine started like normal, no warnings lights whatsoever etc. For a moment i just thot maybe i was a bit absent-minded and didn't really wait for the Airbag light to go off before and turn the ignition. Anyway everything was back to normal and i didn't really think much about it.Then few days ago, the same thing happened again and this time i was quite sure i waited for all lights to go off before i turn the ignition. Just like the 1st time, the engine started off normally again on my 2nd attempt. And again everything is normal now. So far there's no 3rd incident and my car is running as normal as you would imagine. Anyone here have any similar experience or knows whats wrong? By the way it can't be the battery cos i've changed it 4 months ago only....

next time if u start your car and it die off for few time, try to step on your gas pedal then only start (step on abit harder so your RPM reach 3000-3500) after 3 second release your gas pedal. if the engine didnt die off again, its most likely your Idling control valve.

take it to a workshop and get them to plug in the GT-1. it should tell you what sensor, valve etc is faulty.

Daniel;242155 said:
take it to a workshop and get them to plug in the GT-1. it should tell you what sensor, valve etc is faulty.
GT-1 wont show if there is really a faulty in idling control valve or trottle switch

I had similar experience, as you described above.

At the end, found out that it was my fuel pump (FP) faulty.

But better confrim this before you change the FP, its not cheap..

Here how to confirm:

1. You must have good hearing skill, try to listen to the FP motor spinning in your fuel tank.
2. Start your enigine and let it run idling, open your rear bonnet, flip the carpet and put one of your ear to the floor. OK, (if your hearing is superb) by now you should know how the FP motor sound.
3. Next time, if the situation happen again, ask someone to crank the engine for you, because you will be busy trying to hear the FP motor as descibe on step no 2.

(what I did was put a jumper wire at fuel pump relay socket no 30 & 87b, but you need to have Mc Guywer's skill to do that..hehe.)

Good luck.

Whalesith,

Oh, sorry forgot to remind you, please DO NOT perform the FP inspection steps as mentioned above, especially if your car is at 5 star hotel porch, malu lah...BMW E46 wor..., use your handphone to call MAA for their 24 hour service...baru ada gaya maa, but please do it if you are at belakang lorong or somewhere hidden area lah...hehe.

ciao.

wan520i;242504 said:
I had similar experience, as you described above.

At the end, found out that it was my fuel pump (FP) faulty.

But better confrim this before you change the FP, its not cheap..

Here how to confirm:

1. You must have good hearing skill, try to listen to the FP motor spinning in your fuel tank.
2. Start your enigine and let it run idling, open your rear bonnet, flip the carpet and put one of your ear to the floor. OK, (if your hearing is superb) by now you should know how the FP motor sound.
3. Next time, if the situation happen again, ask someone to crank the engine for you, because you will be busy trying to hear the FP motor as descibe on step no 2.

(what I did was put a jumper wire at fuel pump relay socket no 30 & 87b, but you need to have Mc Guywer's skill to do that..hehe.)

Good luck.

Do you ever have fuel smell in you car when your FP is on the way to the trash ?

dumeort;242537 said:
I think it's fuel pump too.
when u start your car first time in the morning do u hear shsssssssss............sound from the rear, dont close your door when u start your car and try to hear the sound. something like air leaking sound, if u hear this sound, most likely your fuel pump is going to gol soon, for E46 318 it cost about RM 500, 325i not sure if its the same

Thanks for all the advice especially wan520.

went to MSpeed last week to do a GT1 diagnostic test. everything turned up fine, no fault. Even Ah Meng mentioned it may be the fuel pump. I knew that my fuel pump is slightly faulty from day 1 (about 4 months ago) because my fuel indicator sort of fluctuates but i didnt really bother changing it cos it cos around RM800 (for both sides, 1 floater + pump and 1 floater). So over time i sort know what kinda of milelage to click before i fill in petrol.

anyway, the problem is not serious yet, so am go let it go until i definitely know its the fuel pump....

will keep everyone posted...

bro,
One item we usually forget is the fuel/petrol filter. Try changing this and see if the engine idle smoother

Top Bottom